Brag About Your Computer Here!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Amin Sabet, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Have a sweet computer? Build your own? Configure a monster through Apple/Dell/etc? Or just love your computer? Here's the place to tell us about it.

Be detailed, include accessories, and show some pics if you've got em!

Note: No Mac vs PC or similar talk in this thread. This thread is strictly for the appreciation of great computers of all types, not arguing about them.

2. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Mac Pro twelve core 3.0 GHz,
    64 GB Crucial RAM.
    512 Crucial SSD, mounted in second front bay.
    12 TB storage, 4 - 3 GB Seagate Constellation drives, RAID 5.
    Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB X 2.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Apple wireless keyboard and mouse.

[​IMG][/IMG]

2 X 4 - 3 GB Seagate Constellation drives, RAID 5 for backup. These are all mounted in external RAID servers running eSATA. One stays at work and the other at home. I back up every night. Then on Fridays the drives get switched out.

[​IMG][/IMG]

I will update with photos later.

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Sounds like a beast to me. I love the current Mac Pro line.

Which SSD?

What kind of HDDs are the 12TB?

RAID or JBOD?

What kind of RAM?

Graphics card?

Details, please! :biggrin:

4. Hagane

Hagane Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2013
    Limburg, Netherlands
    Just an iMac, around two years old or so? i3 with 4GB of RAM... but soon to be exchanged for a new Mac Mini.

In 1989 I first came into contact with a Macintosh (I think it was a Macintosh SE). Somewhat later in Life I worked 7 seven years in Apple Retail and later as sales coach.

But for me working in the industry kinf of spoiled the hobby and nowadays I enjoy photography and cycling more that tinkering with computers.

5. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    2010 MacBook Pro, base model, nothing fancy. I replaced the hard drive with a hybrid drive the moment I bought it, then I got a SSD last year. I'm patiently waiting for a new update to the MacBook Pros this year, then buy a refurbished model early next year when they show up. That's how I ended up with my current 2010 model too.

In a previous life I overclocked every CPU and GPU that I could get my hands on and built water-cooling systems as a hobby. I was also dedicating hundreds of hours a week on games. That was another life. You want to know about bad GAS? There's nothing compared to the semi-annual enthusiast-class GPU releases "back in the day".

6. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Updated and will get photos soon.

:)

7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I'm looking forward to ordering the new Mac Pro line. My latest machine (built for work) was pretty good though:
    i7-3770k at 4.8 GHz
    32 GB RAM
    500 GB SSD
    GTX Titan or Crossfire Radeon 7970s, depending on what we're doing

We also have a $4k Alienware laptop with a GTX 680m and a 3D screen. Still getting acquainted with that crazy thing.

The desktop PC is used for fun demos like this:
    OLY11477.

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Nice! Are those drives in your MacPro with software RAID or in some kind of external enclosure? I'm looking at doing something similar but haven't decided how to proceed.

9. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Home built:

Running Windows 7 x64
    AMD 8 Core FX8350 4.0GHz
    16 GB of RAM
    Plain 1 TB drive for programs, a 260 GB SSD drive for graphical applications, and a dual disk back up system for files.
    GTX 560 SLI set up with dual monitor set up

It should last me for the next 4 or so years with the occasional upgrade component.

10. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Damn, those are some awesome systems....and I though I was a computer nerd!!

i5 3750k @ 4.5ghz
    Sabertooth z77 MB
    16gb RAM
    2x Samsung 840 Pro 256gb
    Corsair C70 case
    2x MSI Lightning GTX 680 :cloud-9-039:

11. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Self build.

i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz
    Noctua NH-D14 heatsink
    Aquaero 5 LT fan controller (controls all fans in the box)
    ASRock Z77 OC Formula motherboard
    16G memory o/c to 1833MHz
    120G OCZ-Vertex3 SSD boot drive
    256G Corsair Performance Pro user drive
    1TB Samsung general storage drive
    3TB Seagate centralised backup drive (I have a backup server which uses this as a secondary backup and this drive is imaged to an unlimited cloud backup service)
    Corsair AX-860 PSU
    Fractal Define XL R2 case
    Nvidia GT640 passive graphics card
    2 x Dell U2410 (calibrated with i1 Display Pro)
    1 x Dell U2711 (calibrated with i1 Display Pro)
    Filco mechanical keyboard
    Microsoft Intellimouse

At this o/c it gets 9.31 on the cinebench benchmark.

Don't have a photo of the mobo in the case (it is a fairly new upgrade) but here's a couple of the monitors (plus my works laptop) and the mobo/heatsink before I built it.

It is completely silent in day-to-day usage - the fans only kick in when the CPU is at 55+ deg C - which is when I'm recoding HD video.

P1010518-.

P1010760-.

12. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    ^^^Awesome cooler......couldnt get it to fit my case/mobo so I had to go with the Coolmaster Evo 212, but I did upgrade the fan and added another one for a pull-push config.

13. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Nice setups, folks. I'm jealous! Tell us what you use these beasts for.

I'm running a late 2011 15" MBP 2.2Ghz i7 quad core with 16GB RAM. I'm running a 24" Cinema Display as well, with a Wacom Bamboo as my preferred pointer. I've got 24 TB of hard drives sitting on my desk right now (4x3TB in a Drobo for Time Machine, 2x2TB in a Promise Pegasus R4 RAID, 512GB SSD boot, 512GB in the optical drive, and 2 drives in a Thermaltake BlaX Duet HD dock) just waiting for the new Mac Pro.

This system is plenty fast for photos, but it's been choking on 1080P video renders via Final Cut Pro X; CPU maxes out quick. I've considered building a small Mac mini render farm to offload the rendering, but the new Mac Pro is damn sexy. Video is just part of what I do, so I've got to get more video gigs to pay for it!

14. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
  15. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Web browsing... what else is there? :dance4: :biggrin:

PS. I also have a Shuriken in a HTPC. Just about to upgrade another to an i3 (from an Atom). Looking at a Shuriken for that too....

16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Really enjoying this thread!

My new laptop is a 13-inch Macbook Air. It lasts all day due to the Haswell Core i7, and the 512GB PCIe SSD pushes 800MB/s speeds for both read and write. I never liked the glowing Apple logo, so I put an opaque black carbon skin on it from iCarbons, which also protects it from scratches, etc. Here she is with the (original) 30" Cinema Display, Logitech keyboard/mouse, and Magic Trackpad:

9386110368_10b69dd8e7_c.

My desktop isn't here yet, but getting psyched for it is the reason I started this thread. I recently bought a very nice Asus PC to replace my aging Dell (which had replaced an aging iMac) for photography, but my kids commandeered that as a Minecraft terminal.

I've never built a computer before and don't have the time/motivation to do it, but researching the Asus got me interested enough in computers to handpick the components and order a custom build this time around.

I'm now trying to figure out the best solution for storage. Leaning towards doing software RAID 0 with a couple internal 1TB Velociraptor drives (with on-site, off-site, and cloud backup) although I haven't ruled out getting one of the USB 3 or Thunderbolt external RAID enclosures.

17. mizx

mizx Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 7, 2012
    Somerset, UK
    Jon
    I made the orders for a long overdue new build today! Right now, I still have an Athlon X2 6000+, 2GB RAM and an 8800GTS (G92 512MB) in my trusty Lian Li PC7, and it's still running XP :).

I''ve found it lacking with the latest games for some time; given I've shifted back more towards PC gaming after having stuck with the PS3 for a few years, and embarassingly I've had the 7 Pro disk for well over a year (being so stuck in my ways forgetting about it, half not wanting to make the change :redface:), I had been putting off getting everything set up properly for my photography planning to upgrade Lightroom and get into processing RAW once I'd moved to 7. So now is a better time than any!

Considered going with an AMD FX, as I understand socket AM3 will remain until the Excavator arch at least, but I was set on a micro-ATX build this time around and the high-end motherboard choices are non-existent. I've gone with an 1155 i5, ignoring the new Haswell chips based on the price hike compared to the low generational performance increase, I don't mind if it means new motherboard in future.

• Lian Li PC-V354
    • i5 3350P 3.10GHz (it isn't unlocked, but the multiplier can bring it to 3.7)
    • Antec Kuhler 620
    • Gigabyte G1-Sniper M3 motherboard (the audio sold me)
    • Patriot Viper 8GB PC3-12800C9
    • ATI 7870 to replace the 8800 later on
    • Enermax MODU82+ 625W PSU retained
    • 1TB storage retained (Two disks, may migrate OS to SSD later on. My external drive won't cover it all for backup, so I really ought to consider a solution + more storage soon.)

I'll try to get some build photos up for you!

18. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Amin, you can do a RAID 0+1 or 1+0 if you're worried about drive failures and data loss. Gives you a piece of mind if you're lazy about backups.

19. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    The externals are in these, I have two of them.

OWC MEQX2KIT0GB Mercury Elite Pro Qx2... in stock at OWC
    I have 2 of them and prefer to add enterprise level drives myself so get the ones with no drives.

20. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian