1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Bracketting at +/-2 with OM-D?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by shawngibson, Apr 3, 2013.

1. shawngibson

shawngibson Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2010
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    You can set up bracketing by up to one stop increments, but you can set it to take 2, 3, 5 or 7 images. To get two stops of bracketing, you'd have to set the auto-bracketing to take 5 shots. Thankfully the burst rate is such that you can fire off 5 shots pretty quickly.

3. shawngibson

Aug 9, 2010
    Ah, thank you, I realized you can take 5,7 shots, but I thought the manual was trying to say for a total of +/-1.

Apparently I need to learn how to read lol.

I have no problem taking 5 shots to get what I need. With 7 I could probably get a perfectly exposed raven being backlit by an a-bomb explosion:)

Thanks for the clear response:)

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm assuming that you're planning to do some HDR. My guess is that a better way to get +/- two stops is to set it for 7 exposures at a 2/3 stop increment. As long as you're shooting something fairly static that would give your HDR program a LOT of data to work with.

5. shawngibson

Aug 9, 2010
    Yes, HDR but stitched, using my Manfrotto 303SPH 360 head. I also want to at least attempt HDR with some human subjects, but not stitched. Just on a tripod with shutter release and static model.

7 exposures would still take less than a second if I am correct? But what of camera shake on the tripod after the first shot?

I've always counted to two before taking the next photo, but that would be tedious with large stitches and humans with 7 exposures per frame.

6. shawngibson

Aug 9, 2010
    I rephrase that. Obviously if some of the exposures are 1/4 or more of a second, it will take longer than a second. The point should have been, to shoot very quickly, so as to not take many minutes for a big HDR stitch.