Bracketing with omd em5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sailor15, Aug 13, 2013.

1. sailor15

sailor15 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 28, 2012
    Can some give a simple explanation how to do this?

I read how to set it up...

Do you only push the button once & get.....3 images of different exposures?

Thanks....sounds complicated to me....

2. bleachingpixels

bleachingpixels Mu-43 Rookie

May 2, 2013
    New Hampshire
    So it partially depends on a couple of things but here's the short version as best as I can:

I'm assuming we're talking about exposure bracketing. (there's other types but exposure bracketing is most common and I don't want to confuse the issue)

So before you turn on bracketing the camera will take an exposure that it comes up with. That's commonly referred to as the metered exposure. I'll call that 0 for now for a reason that I hope will be apparent soon.

As a quick aside camera exposure (basically brightness) is measured in stops. Stops is a weird term but here's an example. We have your metered (or 0) exposure. One stop brighter (we'll call that +1) is twice as bright. Two stops brighter (or +2) is twice as bright again, etc. Same thing as going darker from the metered exposure (-1 is twice as dark, -2 is twice as dark again, etc)

Ok so how this relates to bracketing (and I will finally actually answer your question). On the OM-D you can setup bracketing a number of different ways. Let's pretend you are doing three pictures at 0, +2 and -2. (That would be our metered exposure, two stops brighter and two stops darker).

What I think answers your question is yes, this is three different exposures of different brightnesses (I think that is a word. I'm going to run with it)

To answer your question of pushing the button though, that depends. If your button is setup to take one photo then it is three separate button presses. The camera keeps track of which ones it has taken from the 0, +2 and -2.

If your button is set for burst (low or high speed) then you can hold the button down and pop, pop, pop it goes through all three exposures in succession.

I hope that answers the question. Feel free to ask more and let me know if I answered it or made it worse. :)

-John

3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    The steps:

First decide what bracketing you want.

Press Menu, camera 2, Bracketing, right, select the bracketing you want (how much difference in each shot, and how many frames), press ok.

At this point you have to press and release the shutter release for EACH shot. If you look at the exposure bar it shows you the exposure range and which shot is next.

If you want all the shots taken with one press of the shutter release you also have to engage the multi-shot drive mode.

• Like Like x 1
  4. sailor15

sailor15 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 28, 2012
    Thank you! Both replies so helpful ...I was actually able to do this today.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply

5. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    On the E-P5 they've added an additional bracketing option for HDR that works with a single shutter click.

I'm still using Photoshop CS2 and when I tried to processes the E-P5 files I discovered that the Automate Merge To HDR script was not functioning (Missing Command error near the end of the process).

This problem lead to a bunch of Internet searching, and I found that there is evidently no fix for this issue, so I tried: Luminance HDR

It does a great job processing the files, and it's free.

One other surprise was that it can handle the raw conversion (demosaicing) of the E-P5's ORF files even though the last update was well before the E-P5 came out.