1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Bracketing Shotcut - OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by marklikesit, Sep 10, 2012.

1. marklikesit

marklikesit Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Hey guys,

Quick question.

Is there a quick way to change turn bracketing on and off (ie. bracketing back to normal shooting mode) via the main display? Rather than go through multiple menus?

Thanks in advance!

Mark

2. ennonymous

ennonymous New to Mu-43

Sep 7, 2012
    Germany
    Not exactly - but you can program a MySet with bracketing turned on and map it to a key. I have a MySet with 5 shot 1EV bracketing and 9fps continuous shooting mapped to Fn1 for quick hand-held HDR. You'll need to hold Fn1 while shooting, though.

See also this thread.

• Like Like x 2
  3. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    :( I'm outta buttons. I need both the F1 and F2.

F1 = manual / auto focus switch

F2 = depth of field preview

I wish there was an F3 button....

4. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    You can buy 2 more function buttons for $299... Or get one from the 12-50mm lens.

5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Or map the movie record button?

• Like Like x 1
  6. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    I have mine set up similarly. However be aware that the Myset "solution" locks in any other settings that were in force at the time of establishing the Myset. (ie - ISO; etc). In other words, if the ISO was at say 200 when the Myset was "set", your brackets will always be shot at ISO 200 - even if you wanted to shoot them at say ISO800. (Unless you dive into the menus instead of holding down Fn1.)

This shortcoming has been a complaint voiced by many users here over the past few months.

7. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    I just read on some other forum that we can't toggle the FN buttons to mysets. We gotta keep that button pressed down and hit the shutter at the same time.

Pain..

I've just set up a couple of MySet's and it doesn't take too long to go into the menu's and change the MySet's to my favorite bracketing settings - this is perfect.

By the way, I've set my bracketing to H.Sequential. I'm just wondering, for some long exposures (ie. night shots), how does a 1-press sequential shooting take care of this?

What do you guys do for bracketed shots? I still get tiny bits of movement on my tripod every time I hit the shutter button manually. :(

8. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Bert, just looked at your site. Amazing landscape photography. Love your work.

9. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Yes - Another drawback of using a function key to activate a Myset (or anything for that matter) is that you have to HOLD it down. It does not act as a toggle. (Maybe that will be "fixed" in an upcoming firmware? One can only hope....). This can require some bit of "finger dexterity". :smile:

Can't help you on the long exposure question. I shoot long exposures (night), but have never felt the need to bracket them. If you're bracketing them in order to pick the "best" one, why not try this instead -- forget about bracketing them and use the "Live Time" feature. This updates the exposure on the LCD screen while the exposure is still being shot. Once the exposure is as you want it just hit the shutter button to end the exposure.

Wow, Thanks Mark!

10. So what does everyone use exposure bracketing for? HDR?

11. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    That's what I use it for....

12. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    A 3 exposure bracket at 0, +/-0.7 is a great insurance policy in tricky lighting, but only for static or slow moving subjects. In a quickly changing situation there's a risk that the shot when everything came together just right is one of the two with incorrect exposure.

At first I thought the E-M5 was a pain for not allowing AEB to be assigned to a button or accessed via the SCP. But with the front dial set for exposure compensation it's actually quicker to adjust your exposure this way and you can compensate in the right direction first time, instead of maybe the last frame of a bracketed sequence. Having a live histogram helps enormously too, as does the greater dynamic range over previous Olympus cameras.

For occasions when I do want AEB it's set up in a My Mode, together with Auto ISO and continuous drive.

I don't often use HDR but when I do it's for static subjects and using a tripod. In this situation it's no bother accessing the menu to set a bracket.

13. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Bert: I bracket to create HDR composites. All the photos need to line up.

What do you do for your images Bert? Your landscape stuff looks sorta dynamic range. Do you use any PS plugins?

14. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Believe it or not, when I take manual exposures, just playing with the dial or having to press the shutter multiple times actually results in shifted shots - even with my Manfrotto tripod. This is why I'm looking into the sequential shooting mode so I only need to press the shutter once, resulting in less movement. You guys have any tips on keeping bracketed shots steady?

15. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    This ought to do it! :wink:

E-M5_E-3_016_e_c_r_s.

Shame the photographer couldn't hand-hold the other camera quite still enough! :redface:

16. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Lol. How did you manage to mount your omd on a barbell? :) that thing looks super heavy.

17. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    It's a hangover from when I used medium format film cameras and needed that weight in a tripod head. I won't be using it much with the E-M5 - carrying it around would defeat the whole point of :43:! :biggrin:

18. marklikesit

Aug 8, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Mark Soon
    Good point:)

I got a cheap Manfrotto with a plastic grip lock head. Tripod itself is steady for most shooting situations but for HDR, bracketed shots are very hard to get perfectly lines up. Even if I'm super light-fingered, I gets shifts between frames with some shots.

Software can auto align but without warping the image slightly.

19. Tincam

Tincam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Iowa
    Matt
    A cable release will allow you to trip the shutter without touching the camera.

20. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    AEB is my single biggest complaint about the OM-D. It's so cumbersome it's virtually unusable. Mysets aren't the answer because the can reset multiple settings that you don't want to change just because you want to bracket.