1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Bracketing protip with Mysets

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by feppe, Aug 7, 2012.

1. feppe

feppe Mu-43 Regular

When bracketing for digital blending and expanded dynamic range there's no point in underexposing*. You want to only overexpose, to bring detail back into shadows. Underexposing does not bring any additional data. Therefore we would like brackets to be at zero compensation, +1 EV, +2 EV, etc. Since E-M5, E-PL1, and probably other Oly cameras can only do up to +1 and -1, you're only reaching one EV above and below with a three-shot bracket, and two EV above with a five-shot bracket. This is often not enough for scenes with wide dynamic range.

Here's the protip - not my idea, can't remember where I got it from: for a three-shot bracket set exposure EV +1 in addition to the bracket, and save as Myset. That way you'll get three shots: 0EV, +1EV and +2EV. For a five-shot sequence set EV to +2, and you get 0EV, +1EV, +2EV, +3EV and +4EV - plenty of data brought back from the shadows!

I set the 5-shot sequence on fn1 on my E-M5 and fire away. I'd prefer to take only two shots (0EV and +4EV) so this wastes a lot of shots, but it's better than nothing.

Here's hoping that Oly will enable wider or even arbitrary brackets with as many shots as we want in a firmware update!

* I don't know if this applies to true HDR, since I don't do HDR

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    This very much depends on how you meter. If you spot meter the brightest thing in frame, then yes, you're right. If you use evaluative or center-weighted average in broad daylight you may well get blown highlights, and thus will want underexposed (-1 and -2 EV shots).

• Like Like x 1
  3. oldsweng

oldsweng Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2011
    Oregon
    What he said. :thumbup:

4. feppe

feppe Mu-43 Regular

Good point, fully agree. I expose-to-the-right.