1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Bracketing for HDR

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by mcgillro, Feb 15, 2019.

1. mcgillro

mcgillro Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Hastings, NZ
    Hi

I'm new to Panasonic from Canon, and learning the different menu titles and usage. So far I am just loving it!

I have accidentally set bracketing at three shots 2/3rd stop. I really want five shots and one stop .... well really want to understand how to do it!
    Many thanks

2. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    And the specific model of Panasonic camera you are using is...? And this camera did come with a manual I assume?

3. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 16, 2017
    Exposure Bracketing - [RecMenu ] > [p.2 Bracket]> [Bracket Type]

might work - And this camera did come with a nearly incomprehensible manual, I assume?

download the Advanced manual and you can search for things

4. mcgillro

Feb 10, 2019
    Hastings, NZ
    It's a G9, and yes it came with a manual which i very difficult to understand.

Thanks - I'll download the advanced manual. I found the information, and now have five shots one stop apart.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ToxicTabasco

ToxicTabasco Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2018
    South West USA
    It all depends on your results with your editing software. Sometimes 5 shots will do better than 3 and sometimes 3 are better than 5. I find 3 stops enough for the most challenging sunset landscapes and night photography. The results look realistic and take less processing effort. Others may differ and want more extreme look to the HDR. The only way you'll know what you like is to go out and try a few. Using MFT I was dead set on 5 shots. After 8 months I realized 3 works better for me and the software I process with. And the dynamic range was surprisingly better than I expected from MFT.

6. mcgillro

Feb 10, 2019
    Hastings, NZ
    Thanks for that reply. I know on the POTN natural HDR thread, that there are many who say three shots are enough, and I have found that as well. However I have also felt there's a depth to the shadows with five shot, but I would also guess some of that depends on the "base" shot. Mostly these days I go for a natural look, but sometimes I will think a shot needs/deserves extreme processing, and I''l do it. But not for a while.

So far the dynamic range is amazing, and i have brought shadows up, and taken highlights down to a remarkable degree on a RAW file. I don't think the files have too much noise as a result, but sometimes it is difficult to notice your own flaws :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.