1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Bracketing and remote

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LeChuck, Sep 11, 2012.

1. LeChuck

LeChuck Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 11, 2012
    Hello,

This camera is driving me crazy.

Just posting to see if anyone has figured out a method for this. I use a Pixel remote on the E-M5, doing multiple exposure bracketing. Has anyone found a method to fire 5 shots, and only 5, in order to take a bracketing sequence from such a remote without having to count the shots and click 5 times? If I set it to fire multiple shots and set the camera in high drive 5fps, the sequence will not stop at 5 shots.

As an added question, has anyone found a way to cancel a bracketing sequence?

Thanks.

2. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Yes, it took me a while to figure out how Oly's bracketing works. I assume you're after a multi-shot AE bracket without having to press the shutter after each frame? Oly's bracketing doesn't also turn on one of the multi-shot drive modes. You'll need to set the type of bracket, number of shots, etc., and then you must choose one of the multi-shot drive modes. I save my AE bracket settings in a MySet, but I select it from the menu. Th Fn buttons (configured to activate a MySet) are not toggles, so they require you to hold them down for the duration of the bracketed shots.

Sorry if my quick & dirty response is difficult to follow. There's a lively discussion on this topic (with many tips) in this thread:

https://www.mu-43.com/f42/om-d-exposure-bracketing-am-i-missing-something-30609/

And BTW, I initially had the problem of the bracket sequence *not* stopping after the configured number of shots. I'd saved the bracket settings in a MySet, and my camera kept shooting past the configured 5 shots. Others claimed their Oly's stopped after 5 shots. Upon further testing, I concluded my aforementioned "MySet" was corrupted, as when I configured the settings manually, the camera indeed stopped after 5 shots. A MySet reset solved the problem, and now both EM5 and EPM1 have MySets for bracketing that indeed stop shooting after the configured number of shots.

3. LeChuck

LeChuck Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 11, 2012
    Yes, I have a MySet (sigh...) setup with bracketing and multi shot 5fps. The main issue is that when pressing continuously on the remote, it will not stop after it has taken a bracketing series, and will continue firing off the photos, forcing me to count the shots and press each time. That's already a pain in itself. The other pain is that if I go over the 5 shots for the bracketing, it starts another bracketing series, and I haven't found any way to cancel that, so it forces me to finish that series. This whole thing is so badly designed it's almost laughable. The handling of this camera is so quirky, I'm willing to think that I've overlooked something but...

4. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Then you've got a corrupted MySet. Reset the offending MySet and create a new one. That solved my problem. Please read the "And BTW" note I added after initially posting my message. Also read through the thread to which I linked, as we're re-creating the wheel with this thread. :smile:

5. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Re your mention of "laughable" quirkiness: Yes, like all cameras, the Oly UI does indeed have some quirks. Rest assured that (IMNSHO), you've found the quirkiest feature in bracketing, so it should get easier for you from here. Although it initially took me a good week or so to figure out what all the seemingly esoteric options do, I soon realized the power of so many options. Once I learned this, I fell in love with Olys, as I can do so much more (again IMNSHO) than I can with cameras with fewer configuration options.

So hang in there, once you get through the initial learning curve, you just might love your Oly too. :biggrin:

6. LeChuck

LeChuck Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 11, 2012
    Sorry, but I have already read that thread and it does not address either of my issues. If I use the button on the camera, it stops at 5fps.

I am using a *remote* and with that, it does not stop. I have used the same remote on several other cameras (with different adapter cable, a Panasonic GF1, Pana GH2, and Pentax K5) and never had this issue.

The second problem that is also not addressed by that other thread, is how to stop/cancel a bracketing series.

7. LeChuck

LeChuck Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 11, 2012
    I have owned many digital cameras over the past 12 years, including quite a few DSLRs that had their share of quirks. I can honestly say this OM-D has the worst handling of any camera I've owned. That being said, I bought it, I like the picture quality, I like the size of m4/3, and I need to figure out a way to get it to work as I need it. It is very badly designed as handling goes. I do need to figure out a solution to these 2 issues though otherwise it's a bust for me.

8. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Yes, I use a *remote* too, and with that, it *does* stop. (Make sure you haven't locked the shutter release.) There are a slew of threads on this topic, and each issue you mention has been addressed ad nauseam. If all your questions are not addressed in the thread I mentioned, let me suggest you use the forums search feature to unearth all the other threads that do.

I too came from Panasonic and Pentax, and no, they don't have this bracketing issue, because their bracket functions work differently! (Like all cameras, they have other quirks of their own.)

I know of no way to stop or cancel a bracket sequence until it finishes. Once it does finish, I simply turn off bracketing. Isn't this the whole point of bracketing?

Perhaps someone more learned that I will step in here now.

9. LeChuck

LeChuck Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 11, 2012
    Which remote are you using?

10. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Question twokatmew... is this based on your experience as an EPM-1 owner or as an E-M5 owner? https://www.mu-43.com/f42/omd-hdr-bracketing-timer-29451/index2.html#post287913

Just taking a leap?

:tongue:

woof!

11. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
  12. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    When I wrote that post, I only owned the E-PM1. I've sinced added the E-M5. And both correctly stop shooting at the end of each bracket sequence ... now. History does repeat itself, eh? :wink:

:tongue: to you too, woof! :biggrin:

13. LeChuck

LeChuck Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 11, 2012
  14. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Yes. I've been doing long exposures recently, so this is from (not so recent) memory. If you don't take your finger off the shutter release, the camera will make a faint complaining noise. This noise is the camera's way of telling you its completed the bracket sequence. It's a very, very faint noise, so you might not hear it unless the camera is at eye level, i.e., not inches or feet away on a tripod.

My advice is to play with bracketing in a quiet environment indoors till you get it sorted ... and you get a MySet configured that brackets without shooting additional sequences. :smile:

15. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    >> History does repeat itself, eh?

Not sure. I'd frankly like to know if clearing the MySet and redoing it really does clear the error in this case. Jury is out on that. After all it is a completely different camera and this remains supposition. Useful supposition.

As for using one camera (especially a very similar camera) to make assertions about the behavior of another, I see you've come to the dark side!

Congrats. History does repeat itself and better, it seems to be catching!

woof!

16. LeChuck

LeChuck Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 11, 2012
    My MySet with the bracketing is brand new, and does stop when using the camera's shutter button.

I'm wondering if I'm not using the remote correctly with this camera (previous cameras required using it with the button in multi-frame position), or if my remote is not adapted. In any case, this is strange.

17. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Actually woof, I wrote this post based on experiences with *both* the EPM1 and the EM5. My apologies if I didn't make that clear in this thread. (I thought I had, but no matter.)

I see many new to Oly (and often with significant experience with cameras by different manufacturers) who have these same issues with bracketing. As the secrets to successful AE bracketing with Oly cameras is strewn throughout countless threads, perhaps we could have a tutorial or sticky on the subject for Oly bracketing newbies. Now I haven't searched, so my apologies if one exists unbeknownst to me. :eek:

18. LeChuck

LeChuck Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 11, 2012
    Note that I've accepted that the bracketing functionality on this camera is convoluted and doesn't make much sense, this thread is not about activating, deactivating, or setting up bracketing. It is specifically about bracketing and use of a remote. A search in this forum for "remote bracketing" brings back about 4 threads concerning the OM-D, including this one. I found no material with actual user experience on the web either, and certainly no way of canceling a bracketing sequence. Hence, my post. I rarely post anything on forums anymore and certainly not without searching first. Aside from countless reviews from non-users telling you about all the advanced bracketing functions of this camera, there is not much out there.

19. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Aha! That's your problem right there! Using a MySet configured for AE bracketing (requiring a multi-shot drive mode) *and* setting the remote to multi-frame mode is causing the remote to override the camera's settings, thus shooting continual bracket sequences. Set the camera to its AE bracketing MySet and use the remote in single shot mode. IIRC, you'll need to keep your finger on the remote's shutter release during the sequence, just as you do when using this same MySet without the remote.

20. LeChuck

LeChuck Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 11, 2012
    Perhaps. I'm now wondering if I have actually tried that configuration or not. I don't remember but will try tonight. I'm not sure if that remote does send a continuous shutter press in the one shot mode, but I'll try.