1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Boys will be boys

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by mauve, Mar 25, 2011.

1. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/KU_Uz_HEC1pSz9Cljr7-Dw?feat=embedwebsite"> beauford. "800" width="600" /></a></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">De <a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/manuel.viet0/OLYMPUSEP1?feat=embedwebsite">OLYMPUS E-P1</a></td></tr></table>

CC appreciated,

Cheers,

• Like Like x 7
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I'd be looking in that window, too! Nice shot and I like your choice of black and white as it underscores the timeless nature of this moment. Ok, we know it's an old classic, but I think you know what I mean. Love that chrome!

• Like Like x 1
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Great shot. Good composition and the choice of B&W works well.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Love it. Great moment, the tonality is really good, and the blown sky actually works well - any detail would probably pull the eye away from where its supposed to be.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  5. Great street moment. Love your treatment on it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sorry no boys...there was an old bearded one and I had to wait until he left...I should of shot it with him in the pic

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  7. I personally like this type of B&W treatment. Blown highlights can add to rather than detract from an image like this. I could imagine dropping the darker tones slightly further to get the chrome and reflections to really stand out. Maybe it would be better if the passing van was out of the frame, but then maybe not. The picture certainly captures a nice moment of boyish curiousity and a lovely old car as well.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

I should have added to my post that I prefer the B&W for all the reasons quoted above.

9. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I tried quite a few contrast and curves adjustment. To me, the subject isn't only the car; I could have made the car stand out more, easily. But that would have been at the expense of the boy's face (flesh tones turning too dark), and at the expense of the clothes which would have been uniformly black. This balance suits me. As of the van passing by, well... no excuses. This was pretty much a hip shot, and I could do nothing about it. I have a couple pictures more around the same scene, but none has the strength of this one.

Finally, the car isn't old. Beauford is a coach maker who's building 1930s' look-alike cars around a mini frame since 1985. Those are sold as kits.

Beauford automobiles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers,

• Like Like x 1
  10. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Real nice moment. Just perfect.
    Thanks, I miss Paris dearly.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ah, that explains why the name Beauford isn't familiar to me. No problems with your choice of processing here, just a personal preference of mine to emphasise contrasts over detail in B&W.

12. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Excited for his recital?

Thought this might be a nice addition to this thread.

I stumbled upon this mini-recital by the South Shore Conservatory inside Borders. I guess that for the other kid, instrumental music is not his cup of tea. :rolleyes:

5606413956_14e40c3bfe_z.

• Like Like x 2
  13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I like the timing, good expression on the boy's face. Great and interesting subjects (car and boys). Very nice conversion, good tonal range, could use a few middle zones but that is a very minor nit.

Personally, I would have gone horizontal, I think the car and kids are of much greater interest than the featureless sky and apartment building. As these two features are very bright, especially in contrast to the kids, one's eye is first drawn to the background, then the car and finally to the boys. By shooting a horizontal or cropping horizontally one could eliminate the viewer's eye from bouncing around a bit.

Not being there ... yet realizing that this capture lasts only an instant in time, I still would have tried to work my camera closer to the primary focus, the boys and try to fill the frame more with them and less of the car (yet still keeping the alluring quality of the Beauford). I even would have even tried to shoot through the windows with the boys faces peering in.

Armchair quarterbacking is much easier than when you're on the field of play.

In summary, I think a horizontal crop would bring more life to an already lively image. A crop just below the boys feet and above the car's top would bring the boys closer to the viewer and give the Beauford some Gestalt action for the viewer to complete. While losing the background also means losing a sense of European flavor and identification ... there really isn't that much flavor to lose.

In any format, this is a very very nice photograph, a "coup de maƮtre" ... bien fait! I was going to mention something a la Henri Cartier-Bresson, but the photo is much too sharp, too well exposed and too well processed to be from Henri.

Gary

PS- Is a Beauford still a Ford?
    G

• Like Like x 1
  14. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I've pondered quite a bit about the crop. Horizontal shooting wasn't really possible as there was a lot of things on the pavement out of the frame to the left. Besides, this picture was really a 'decisive moment', as I was decided to picture the car, the boys ran toward it from behind my back, peered inside for a second before they were immediately called back by their mother (?). I triggered the shutter, and the scene had already vanished, no second chance.

I tried quite a few framings, and in my opinion, this is the best. The sky doesn't bother me, but I understand it can itch others. The other 'almost' working frame was a square, but it made the car kinda 'float' above the ground.

No, really, all things considered, that's how I like it.

Thanks for your opinion,

Cheers,

15. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Mine:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    No problem, opinions are like armpits, we all have them and they all stink.

G

17. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Sorry, not B&W, but still the quintessential image of American boys these days.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2