Featured Boys' Lacrosse with μ43 - Spring 2017 Images (Continuing Series)

Discussion in 'Sports and Action' started by SVQuant, Mar 6, 2017.

1. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    I have been shooting my son's lacrosse games for bit now with my μ43 kit (initially, E-M10+O75-300II and now E-M1 + 50-200SWD) and have posted a few threads and several images on the subject. I am creating a continuing thread for this season's games as I am hoping to be there for as many as I can, shoot creatively and get better. The plan is to post a few shots every week. Part of the reason for starting this thread is to force myself to view, cull and process images quickly after I shoot them so that they do not get lost in the depths of my directory structure. And I would love comments and criticism.

My older threads:
    Kids' Lacrosse with an EM-10
    Lacrosse in the rain (image heavy)

Starting with images from the season's first game (2/26/2017). These were posted earlier in the 50-200SWD showcase, but I am reposting for the sake of completeness.

1. I have a stick and I'll push you M2263036.JPG

2. Faceoff Shot 1
    M2263040.

3. Faceoff Shot 2
    M2263043.JPG

4. You can't turn this way M2263018.JPG

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Shots from week 2

I took the dog to the game, so I had to give up on the idea of using a monopod this week. And I ended up sitting on the ground with him near one of the goals. Unlike last weekend when I was moving around the sideline, this week all the shots are from a single viewpoint. But I was thrilled because for the first time I managed to get a shot of my son scoring a goal (usually, I put down the camera and start cheering anytime he has the ball and is anywhere in position to score ;))

The game was mid-day, so lighting was not the best. Mostly shot C-AF + Seq-Hi (mechanical shutter)

1. Coming up with the ball - a series of 4 shots from one of the face-offs.
    Faceoff Series 1.

2. A single shot from another faceoff. I had not realized how much the head bends. Almost looks like an e-shutter artifact
    M3040189.

3. In motion
    M3040082.

4. D-pole check
    M3040147.

5. One the fun things about lacrosse is how the players cradle the ball as they run. Sometimes the stick is upside down, but the ball stays in the pocket. M3040316.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Looking forward to the shots..............

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    The faceoff shot is awesome.

5. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Thanks. I think that by shooting low above the ground, I am finally getting much better faceoff shots.

Couple of things for next week (besides the monopod) are to add the EC-14 and to shoot Manual mode and not in Shutter Priority. Several of my shots would have been improved by having some more depth of focus.

6. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    The lower perspective does make a difference for shots like that. If you were standing and shooting most of the heads would not be visible and the shot would not have the impact that it does now.

LOL...........but m4/3 has to much DoF.........why would you stop down for even more? :biggrin: I have found from shooting cyclocross that my 50-200 wide-open will not get the face in focus a lot of the times if I have the focus point on the persons chest. On a bike you are leaning forward and it is just enough to throw the face into soft focus. Now I try to keep the focus point on the head, which is much more difficult.

I was suppose to shoot a game last Friday but when I got home that afternoon I was feeling really sick (started feeling it when I was shooting the Osprey). I got home and threw the memory card in the computer and started downloading then crashed for a few hours. Got up and threw my camera and 50-200 into my Digital Holster with some extra batteries and headed out. Got there and was going to set up my camera and realize I had no memory card. There are now two of my lower speed cards in the Jeep in 2 different locations.............felt so stupid :wtf:

7. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Yeah, I try to keep the focus on the head as much as I can, but sometimes I am not fast enough as they move and it ends up being on the chest. At other times, I could just do with more some more DoF to get more than one face in focus.

Sorry you weren't feeling well. And bummer that you forgot your memory cards. Happens occasionally to all of us. I have some older 8GB cards which I have distributed in the cars and in each camera bag just to minimize against this possibility. Looking forward to your lacrosse shots if and when you end up going to another game. Did you end up watching the game? What did you think?

8. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Thanks and I am feeling better now. I need to pick up some cheap 8GB cards to put in all my bags, but I have 52 at last count :biggrin: in the course of a year I probably use a little over 1/2 of them. Everyone has something that I like about it.

I stayed and watched the first half then went home, was feeling really bad. I will get to one in the next month and look forward to shooting it. It's a pretty cool sport. I was sad to hear that the women's game is so different.........they should play the exact same game.....just like women's hockey.

9. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Week 3

Shot the entire game with the TC-14 in place. Also, still no monopod as the current ball head I have was very unbalanced and USPS managed to misdirect the new one I ordered (first time ever in 23 years of being in the US, I am a huge fan).

I was not happy with my shooting today. Overall, I felt that the C-AF struggled, but equally it could just have been me. I should have ditched the TC at some point to see if that was part of the reason (shooting longer focal lengths and trying to manually track movement). I am hoping that the monopod will help with this.

1. Starting with the obligatory face-off shot: What are you two doing?
    M3110559.

2. I like this one so it makes the cut even though the ball did not hit the frame till the next shot
    M3110507.
    3. Love getting faces inside the helmets
    M3110668.

4. Another one with great expressions
    M3110700.

5. And another
    M3110828.

6. This one has all the makings of a great shot, but I was focused on the goalie as #30 came in to shoot.
    M3110724.

7. A great D-pole check as he was about to shoot M3110839.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Week 4

This weekend was a hectic one for team with three games, but we had to miss the 2 games on Saturday. Sunday's game was late in the day with overcast skies. I also finally had a chance to try shooting on a monopod. I shot about half my shots handheld and the other half on the monopod with the height at around 4 feet.

1. I will stomp on your stick
    M3190928.

2. Coming in for the shot
    M3190941.

3. I want that groundball
    M3190969.

4. Not your ball
    M3191021.

5. Hoping for the best
    M3191033.
    (the ball actually sailed past the far post)

6. It's a goal
    M3191037.

7. Obligatory face-off shot
    M3191133.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Week 5
    This is turning out to be more of a challenge than I expected. Getting new and interesting angles every week is not easy :( Again the shots are about half handheld and half on a monopod. No EC-14 this week either. Another overcast day with a very green turf field and a busy background. Not 100% thrilled with any shot this week.

1. Halt!
    M3261403.ORF.

2. Surrounded
    M3261462.ORF.

3. The play can get a little crowded sometimes. M3261478.ORF.

4. And a crowded goal
    M3261299.ORF.

5. Obligatory faceoff shot. Both boys came up without the ball. Feels almost like a wrestling pose.
    M3261668.ORF.

6. For the expressions
    M3261675.ORF.

• Like Like x 3
  12. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Back after a 3 week hiatus. Had a 2 game weekend, but ended up being able to shoot only half of one game. All shots with the E-M1+ O5-200SWD.

1. On the run
    M4222598.

2. Coming in for the shot
    M4222565.

3. Obligatory face-off shot.
    M4222591.

4. Keep that stick away from me M4222605.

5. Stepping away
    M4222634.

6. Stretching
    M4222680.

7. Knocking the ball loose
    M4222694.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Snowonuluru

Snowonuluru Mu-43 Veteran

Good clue! Now I know what to do with my old 4G and slower cards. I will stick one in the car, one in and one in my wallet (which I forget to take with me sometimes).

• Like Like x 1
  14. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Last but one weekend of the season and likely the last set of shots from me this year. Another 2 game weekend, so a few from each game.

Game 1: Shot the entire game in S-AF instead of C-AF due to my own stupidity. Reduced my keeper rate considerably as did the fact that I ended up playing catch with my younger one for a bit :)

1. Goal mouth pass
    M4292773.
    This one ended in a score. Being a good dad, I ended up cheering for my son (#56) rather than shooting :)

2. Too high
    M4292795.
    The shot actually hit the cross bar as it arced lower. He was a little bummed, but needs to practice shooting flatter.

3. Face-off shot: Clamped
    M4292831.

4. Tripping
    M4292854.

5. Going for the ball.
    M4292890.
    I have been trying to shoot with the ball in the frame all season, but sometimes there are interesting shots without it. The ball is just out of the frame to the bottom right in this one.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Great set of images

• Like Like x 1
  16. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Shots from Game 2 (Sunday April 30). This field does not have a permanent mesh behind the endlines, so I shot entirely from behind one end line with the EC-14 + O50-200SWD. I definitely feel that C-AF struggles a bit with the EC-14 in place than without it. Also that the EC-14+O50-200SWD doesn't handle busy backgrounds as well as the bare lens. Having said that the extra reach is good to have while shooting something 100 yards away.

1. Neck and neck
    M4303047.
    Another shot where not having the ball in the shot allowed an interesting shot. They are both running (and reaching out for a high pass which is currently out of the frame to the top left.

2. Cutting the corner
    M4303058.

3. Groundball
    M4303072.

4. Face-off shot
    M4303074.

5. Tangled
    M4303088.
    While I try to isolate the kids in the shots I take, a lot of the action is like this (or worse).

[Edit]
    These are the kids in image 2 above. Adding this image for completeness, since I posted it elsewhere on the forum.
    6. On guard
    M4303160.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Another really great set. Your shots have really improved over the season and it's good to see that SWD performing so well. I really love mine when I use it, has never let me down and honestly it focuses better then my 150/2 (wish they had gotten around to putting SWD motor in these).

18. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Thanks. I think that as the season went forward, my criteria for keepers became more stringent. And trying to get different angles and avoiding repetitive shots meant that I didn't always succeed. Overall, though, I am happy with what I managed over the course of the season. I will sit down and add a post about lessons and observations.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Thanks. The camera+lens is capable of even better, but I think that I started getting much more out of it as the season progressed. The experience really paid off and I tried harder to get shots which I would not have attempted before.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    It certainly paid off. Look forward to next seasons photos and post about lessons learned would be really helpful for everyone.