Boys High School Soccer

Roboticspro

Shepherding photons since the 50's
Good Evening,

With the fall sports nearing the end I thought I would include the boys side of the soccer world...please share your images also!

Regards,

Edd

WBS-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
WBS-2.jpg
WBS-3.jpg
WBS-4.jpg
WBS-5.jpg
WBS-6.jpg
WBS-7.jpg
WBS-8.jpg
WBS-9.jpg
WBS-10.jpg

Nice photos! You really got peak action on some of them and the expressions are great.

On the technical side, interesting to see all of them at high iso and high shutterspeed.
How did you arrived at the 1/800s as the optimal? It really froze the moments!

Roboticspro

Good Morning,

Palombasso: Thank you for your comments, most appreciated! My settings for the night sports at our school field range from 1/500th to 1/1250th, selected by the sport, football being the slowest and baseball/soccer being up at the middle to high end. It works for me and my style of shooting; a slight blur is fine or intended strong blur to convey the speed and intensity of the action.

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Edd

Nice shots! It’s a challenge to get the action and the faces at the same time.

I’ll have to pick out a few favorites and post them but here is the album for my son’s 9th grade team. If he sticks with it I might be pretty good by the time he makes varsity.

Most of the time I shot shutter-priority at 1/800 as well.

http://tiny.cc/RBHSSoccer

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I shoot girls soccer next week, but boys is not until Dec 4th.
The boys soccer on the 4th is a DAY game :biggrin:
Varsity is normally 430pm, JV 6pm, where I am fighting poor lighting for the JV game. So I will take any day game that I can get.

I prefer to shoot manual, because of lighting issues, like this.
The reflection from the sun off the visitors bleachers, just messes up the meter.
1637212000902.png

Roboticspro

Nice shots! It’s a challenge to get the action and the faces at the same time.

I’ll have to pick out a few favorites and post them but here is the album for my son’s 9th grade team. If he sticks with it I might be pretty good by the time he makes varsity.

Most of the time I shot shutter-priority at 1/800 as well.

http://tiny.cc/RBHSSoccer
Good Morning,

Looks like your team is from down San Diego way...love that area. Thanks for sharing the album, nice work...what gear are you using? I have been using Canon (1D MkIV - APS-H) or Sony FF in the past but I am trying out the u4/3rds for this year. Next for me is gymnastics, basketball, hockey and wrestling. I'll pass on swimming; our pool complex killed one of my Canon 7D's due to poorly conditioned humidity levels/ventilation issues.

Regards,

Edd

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Good Morning,

Looks like your team is from down San Diego way...love that area. Thanks for sharing the album, nice work...what gear are you using? I have been using Canon (1D MkIV - APS-H) or Sony FF in the past but I am trying out the u4/3rds for this year. Next for me is gymnastics, basketball, hockey and wrestling. I'll pass on swimming; our pool complex killed one of my Canon 7D's due to poorly conditioned humidity levels/ventilation issues.

Regards,

Edd

Edd, I think you know, indoor sports can be difficult.
The lighting in our gym is as bad as our field at night, under lights. IOW, OK for the eye, but poor for photography. :(
Last night I shot JV basketball with the Olympus EM-mk2 + 12-40/2.8 at ISO 6400, 1/640, f/2.8 (M exposure mode)
If I had a 25/1.8 for the Olympus, I would be using that lens. I found my 17/1.8 to be a bit too wide.​
If I use my APS-C camera + 35/1.8, I shoot at ISO 3200, 1/800, f/2
I use the 35/1.8 prime, for the larger aperture, to be able to shoot at a lower ISO.​
I have been thinking about upgrading my APS-C camera to a FF camera, just for the low light sports.

Tip: Use the MECHANICAL shutter. Robin Wong did a YT video on high ISO, and showed how the mechanical shutter had less noise than the e-shutter. I tested this in my gym and verified that the m-shutter was less noisy. High ISO noise is more visible on the smooth gym floor and walls, vs. the football field.

Read up on setting custom white balance, and practice. You might run into the same problem that I have. For some reason, my EM1 cannot auto WB properly in our gym (the auto WB on my Nikon D7200 works fine). The auto WB works fine elsewhere. So I now pack a white card in my camera bag, so that if I shoot at another gym, and have a similar WB problem, I can do a custom WB.

I don't know what lens you plan to use, but I find the zoom ring on my 12-40/2.8 to be too stiff for basketball and volleyball. When I am constantly working the zoom ring, I don't want it fighting back. I suspect it may be the friction/drag from the weather sealing.

Roboticspro

Edd, I think you know, indoor sports can be difficult...
Good Afternoon,

While I wait for some more chess pieces to finish out on my 3D printers (Christmas gift set) I'll add my two cents. I agree about the 12-40mm being "viscous" with respect to the zooming. I've had mine just over a year and it has not changed in any way. I also have the 12-60mm FT SWD which is much better in that regard, but slower in acquisition of the target. Practice is starting next week for winter sports, so I might be running two systems to get what I want in the end. I have the 25mm f1.2 and 75mm f1.8; thinking of the Sigma 56mm f1.4 for MFT. I have the "full Monty" in Canon gear so that is not an issue; it is the MFT that might be the stick in the mud, but to use the old saying, "Tis a poor craftsman that blames his gear"...

Regards,

Edd

PB180054.jpg
Taken with TTartisans 50mm f1.2 MF lens

Good Morning,

Regards,

Edd

San Diego? I wish! I’m in the Chicago area (Brookfield, IL). The season has been over since mid October.
P9110329.JPG (not our home field, this was a tournament in the city)

This year I was shooting with an E-M1mkiii and mostly with the 40-150mm and sometimes with the 1.4x TC, which worked out very well when there was enough light that I could afford the extra stop. I also have the 300mm Pro but found it to be too long in general. Maybe if I had another E-M1 I could use them both.
PA093477_DxO.jpg
PA093381_DxO.jpg
PA093429_DxO.jpg
PA093566_DxO.jpg
PA083068_DxO.jpg

The last time I shot soccer (2 years ago thanks to the pandemic) I was using an E-M5ii and 70-300mm. The E-M1iii and 40-150mm are a big step up, although I managed to get some acceptable photos with the E-M5ii. However, I tried using the E-5mii as a second body with the 300mm but it mostly resulted in frustration trying to get a photo framed and in focus in a hurry.

Indoor soccer is just starting for the winter season, so this will be my next challenge.

Not to steer too far off topic, but ironically I have been busy recently printing ornaments for our family Christmas tree at the zoo.
7EB2B5DE-56D5-4201-A8E2-019A41896D38.jpeg

Baenwort

Strictly Amateur
Good Morning,

Regards,

Edd

If you have the 40-150 Pro you could reconsider the pool side. At least mine hasn't had a problem and I put it to the internal zoom plus how good the Olympus weather sealing is.

Not sure how well regarded the 7D's resistance was (I knew more about Nikon during that time frame) but a number of people have put the 40-150 Pro and the 300 Pro through a lot of high humidity and water exposure.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom