Boy am I going to be in trouble

dcisive

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Lee
I just pulled the trigger on a camera package and I would imagine when I bring that box home Monday after it's arrival at work, I am going to catch hell. I am most certainly going to have to sell something of value to offset this one as I got a little carried away. I ordered the following from B&H, which was miraculously all in stock considering the tough availability of those Panasonic lenses.

(1) Olympus E-PL1 Champagne
(1) Panasonic 45-200OIS Lens
(1) Panasonic 20mm f1.7 Lens
(1) Hoya 40.5mm Circular Polarizer

That should take care of just about every shooting situation I can imagine. I have NO idea why I went and did this after making the decision towards the D5000 I got last week. I do still think however that it's not necessarily duplication as they are different tools in the end. The Olympus (or "cam cam" as my wife called it for the 2 days I had one before) is a little thing and with that 20mm could likely fit into a rather tiny case. I guess I just wanted to have all the bases covered. I will of course have the opportunity to work with it and if I for some reason find it unacceptable can still return it worst case. I don't really see that happening. Just depends on how bent out of shape my wife gets to some degree. Perhaps one of the board members had a good idea, they suggested I get it in my wife's hands to play with. Perhaps that may take the sting out of it. I'll be sure to post some results next week on the pictures forum once I've had a chance to wring it out a bit. :drinks:

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Good luck dcisive, is it too late to send your D5000 back? Maybe you could explain that by doing that, you're actually saving money?

Cheers

Brian

cosinaphile

Mu-43 All-Pro
juicy package , congrats and enjoy

cheers

got the d 5000 last week? , lol ,, i am cracking up!!..... what you have is micro 4\3 fever
and that, imho, is a good thing .........., my d 80 gathers dust... [but its lenses come in handy]

enjoy those new treasures , you're in for a blast......................

cheers from nyc

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
B&H should really start selling flowers bouquets alongside their cameras packages. They're missing a lot of business opportunities.

dcisive

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Lee
Well, with all due respect Brian, and You know this.....there are things photographically speaking, that the D5000 can accomplish that the Pen won't. That is in the end why I picked the D5000 over the PL1 when I was evaluating them side by side last week. Those of us who have a real passion for the art of photography don't like to limit their art, nor the possibilities in acquiring that art. There are, in kind, some things the Pen brings to the table that no other camera will do. Intimate portability is one thing. Indeed is something to the "look" that the Oly puts out. That is their signature and it has it's place in the photographic world. Those colors, that contrast, that POP. There will be times and places for it, and I just felt that at this juncture I wanted to have ALL of my options available, not just one or two. Now I'm not sure how much use the D700 will get as I really like the D5000's output as well. I have a 35mm f1.8AFS lens coming Monday from a former credit, so that will be the equivalent to the Panny 20mm f1.7 in focal range roughly.

In dynamic range the D5000 spanks the Oly, just a fact of sensor size and processing life. The metering also allows for less of the shot in the shadows and better more exposed mid tones (a specialty of the Nikon metering). That DR however isn't always called for, mostly in extreme dark-light situations. There are just times when you want or need to be more discreet with what you are using to shoot with. That is the hallmark of what the 4/3rd system brings to the table DSLR type of performance in a smaller package. BUT....and I do mean BUT....there are times when nothing else will do but a DSLR. The focus speed on the D5000 is light years ahead of the Oly or any other 4/3rd system cam as yet. Not to mention it's ability to track a moving subject. In darkness the D5000 happily locks focus on what my eyes can barely see. The Oly flat out won't do that. Do I need that all the time? Nope not by any means. I suspect the PL1 will find most of it's use outdoors with a small portion indoors with the flash for some candid's at a party and such.

I've been at this game for some time now. I started with digital in the early 90's in it's infancy. Had no less than 5 Canon DSLR bodies with loads of L lenses, 3 Nikon Bodies and even an errant Olympus E-510 in the mix with some nice Zuiko lenses. Shot weddings professionally for 6 years but tired of it. Also did events for hire and lots of landscape work. Now I just do it because I love it, not because I'm getting paid to do it. Landscapes are still my favorite with people running a distant 2nd. So once again I'll get to really work with this little guy and see what it can do. I suspect the 20mm 1.7 will be a real trip from all I've seen and heard of it. I already know I'll enjoy the 45-200OIS as that was one of the main reasons I pined over the loss of the PL1. That is one fine lens. On that particular lens I found the OIS to work superior to the IBIS in the Oly. I just switched the IBIS off altogether. I'll be in touch on this subject Tuesday after I've had a chance to play a bit. Hopefully there won't be too much blood shed over this at our house. :tongue:

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
Well, you are obviously dcisive - maybe you need to become a little more dvious. A friend of mine bought an Olympus E3 about a year ago and his wife still thinks it's the E500 he already had. He just has to be careful not to get them both out the bag at the same time!

Or you could justify it by saying it runs on cheaper memory cards and uses less electicity to recharge the battery. :biggrin:

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Well, you're certainly going to be well tooled-up dcisive for just about any eventuality! please do consider joining us in the PAD so we can see you work with the E-PL1 on a daily basis. :2thumbs:

Cheers

Brian

hohoho

Mu-43 Regular
I have NO idea why I went and did this after making the decision towards the D5000 I got last week.

Oh come on, that's easy: You just thought you'd do your bit to help Japan's trade balance. And for your efforts toward that end, I (in Japan) warmly thank you!

Just say that you got all the stuff "thanks to all the points I'd accumulated over the years". Remember the "over the years" bit -- without it, the next thing you hear might well be "What? You're saying that you'd already spent ten times that amount?"

dcisive

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Lee
Well, I think I dug myself a bit out of the hole I just sold a preamp for my studio I wasn't using. So I should be able to absorb all but $200 of the difference. She won't remove a body part for that much :tongue: but I'm sure she WILL suggest I seek couseling :rolleyes: What can I say. I'm a gear head at heart who loves an ample supply of tools for the trade.

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
Just send her out with your credit card to buy a new dress. That usually works for me! (My wife buying the dress, not me I hasten to add after noticing the potential ambiguity of what I've just written!) :biggrin:

dcisive

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Lee
I'm happy to report that i confessed to my wife tonight about the arrival of the package today in which I will be bringing it home for my testing and final approval. She didn't have a big problem with it, especially since I sold some other gear to help finance the venture. Now we'll see if it stays or goes back after my extensive testing......

dcisive

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Lee
My package just arrived and I'm charging the battery for several hours (this is one of the slowest battery chargers around), so I took some time to open and admire the 20mm f1.7 and 45-200OIS. They are so well made. I have to hand it to Panny for doing such a nice job. And yeah it is a pleasure to have 400mm at your disposal with such a small lens. Probably the equivalent to a 18-55 lens on a DSLR :tongue: Now to suffer through till after lunch waiting for the charger light to go out :horse:

E-PL1Shooter

Mu-43 Regular
My package just arrived and I'm charging the battery for several hours (this is one of the slowest battery chargers around), so I took some time to open and admire the 20mm f1.7 and 45-200OIS. They are so well made. I have to hand it to Panny for doing such a nice job. And yeah it is a pleasure to have 400mm at your disposal with such a small lens. Probably the equivalent to a 18-55 lens on a DSLR :tongue: Now to suffer through till after lunch waiting for the charger light to go out :horse:

Congratulations with your new camera and lenses, did you also get the camera with the kit lens 14-42mm? I am wondering if the Pana 14-45mm is better in image quality, the one I don't like the kit lens is we have to unlock the lens before turn on the camera, most of the times I forgot to do this thing and also the Pana 14-45mm includes the hood which is good for protection for the lens.

dcisive

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Lee
Actually the "x" factor of the 4/3rd system is double. so the 45mm becomes like a 35mm equivalent of 90mm, and the 200mm becomes a equivalent to 400mm. I've tried this out taking pics with my FF D700 and indeed it is near identical due to the magnification effect of the smaller sensor, plus the added depth of field with the 4/3rd system as well.

As for the kit lens vs. the 14-45 Panny, on paper the Panny is superior overall, however I've found that the kit lens in some previous testing was much better than the graphs would indicate. Depends on the reviewer as well. Stopped down the kit lens kicks a$$ in sharpness and resolution. Wide open not as much. The Panny would be a preferred lens for some things but it is bulkier. I like the folding idea of the kit lens really. Makes for easier travel that's for sure. As for the hood, well I opted for a circular polarizer instead for those times when I want to diminish flare and add contrast. Once again it just adds bulk, kind of NOT why I got this little guy :daz:

dcisive

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Lee
Oh and BBW, talk about "A watched pot never boils". I'm sitting here with that darned charger glowing at me taking what seems forever to finish. I need to stop looking at it or it will NEVER charge

Latest threads

Top Bottom