1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Boxing day at Boscombe Beach

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by The Minimalist, Dec 27, 2011.

1. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    Here are my first photo's from my Panny GF1 with the 20mm lens that I got for Christmas. These are jpegs from the camera using Dynamic B/W.
    Please feel free to comment on exposure and composition as I am new to this level of photography.

Boscombe clifftop gardens.

P1000121.JPG

Looking towards the purbeck hills.

P1000130.JPG

The Isle of Wright in the distance.

P10001321.JPG

On Boscombe Pier looking west.

P10001331.JPG

On Boscombe Pier looking east.

P1000144.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  2. The Minimalist

Nov 19, 2011
    Boscombe Pier itself.

P10001481.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  3. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Darren,

Congratulations on your Christmas present - that is a superb combo that has been my photographic back bone for the past 2 yrs and my camera/lens of choice for my street & landscape work.

If you don't already have it, you might want to consider trying out Silver Efex Pro2 for the B&W conversions - it is a really good package.

If you are interested, you can see a lot of my GF1+20mm B&W images on my blogsite at: Iansky Photosite

Enjoy your shooting with this great combo.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nice series of shots, good compositions. Some very nice scenery there. My favourites are the third image in the first post and the shot of the pier. I might crop out the post on the left of "Boscombe Pier looking west". The images in your first post also look like they might benefit from a slight lift in exposure, whereas you shot of the pier in your second post looks just right. Check the horizon on the pier shot though; it looks like it needs a slight rotation to the left. I'd also love to see this image in a wider format with some of the beach cropped out.

Congrats on your Christmas present!

5. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Darren the picture of the 'Boscombe Pier itself' is brilliant. Lovely black and white tones creates a pretty dramatic image.

6. The Minimalist

Nov 19, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated. I did notice the pictures 2-5 were a bit dark, these were done at f8 while the pier was shot a f5.6. I was happy with the compositions, although I do agree with what nic has metioned.

7. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Nice images and yes a simple but effective combo :thumbup:
    I agree with Ian Silver Efex pro for conversion :thumbup:

8. The Minimalist

Nov 19, 2011
    Thanks, Silver Efex Pro will be on my shopping list sometime during 2012.

9. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Nice images. I like #3, 4 and the single shot of the pier. I agree with the comments about Silver Efex Pro...it will make your images pop!