1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Bower 7.5mm Fisheye Cosmetic issue

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by RKStarr, Apr 23, 2015.

1. RKStarr

RKStarr Mu-43 Regular

I just received this lens and it works fine. Cosmetically on the exterior are some blemishes. I'm trying to decide if it is worth the bother and expense and time to return/exchange. By any chance has anyone else had a similar issue?

p1130777178-3.

2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Mine is a silver Samyang version and this part of the lens is flawless. If the appearance bothers you, return it for another copy. It almost looks like silver tape has been applied over the metal. Can you compress the bubbles with your thumbnail?

3. RKStarr

RKStarr Mu-43 Regular

Yes, I can compress them. That made be think it was a protective film of some sort, so I took a sharp point and tried to see if there was a protective film there and there was not. This is the second of these lenses I've had and the first one was flawless too. The fact that they are soft is worrisome, should the blisters ever rupture, the plating will be wicked sharp.

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm usually not one to worry too much about physical appearance of my gear, but seeing as how this is a new lens I probably would go ahead and do the return/exchange now rather than waiting for the bubbles to burst as you point out.

My copy of this lens doesn't exhibit this issue.

5. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    My guess is a poor pickling job before the finish plating was done.

6. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    My copy was essentially pristine, it has a few nicks and dings with use now however it has no issues like the above.

I'm not really familiar with the plating process however it does look like a production problem of some sort, reminds me of drying spots on the bottom of a hanging object. It appears to be the mount and thus would be plated brass of some sort.

I would get a new copy as you cannot see the inside of the lens, exterior doesn't matter all that much compared to what's happening inside it. If it flakes off inside and you have metal flakes floating around it may cause more serious non cosmetic problems, not to mention the hit to resale.

7. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    I would return the lense. As mentioned above you dont know what internal issues there might be related to this and in any case should you ever want to sell the lens this will reduce the price you can get for the lens.

8. ErnieH

ErnieH Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 8, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    My Rokinon copy is perfect. I would return it. Very likely the bubbles will crack eventually and you'll have a scrappy looking but otherwise wonderful lens.

9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I see you are in the U.S. VI. Is it going to cost you an arm and a leg to ship it back? I guess I'm assuming the $10 it would cost me and I'd send it back. But if it was like $50 I'd just live with it.

10. RKStarr

RKStarr Mu-43 Regular

Thanks all for the thoughts and guidance.

Yes it is costly to send back and forth, although not prohibitively so. But it sure is a nuisance. It will cost $12 or so plus the time to fill out the customs documentation, despite that I am still within the US. (That's the double-edge of being a 'duty-free port'.)

Yes indeed with the help of the customer service department it has been approved for return. I'm tempted to pay the extra $10 to get the Samyang branded version, since they are the original manufacturer.

11. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    They're made in the same factory, just the name is changed. I have the Rokinon, which is also flawless. Glad you can return it.

12. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    I can sympathize with you on that point. I live just across the Canadian border. To ship anything to/from the US, I need to figure $30-35 and a couple weeks. Having said that, B&H recently added free shipping on orders over $99. Guess where I'll be ordering from going forward (and I'm just about convinced to pull the trigger on one of these 7.5mm FE's). :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. RKStarr

RKStarr Mu-43 Regular

Thanks for all the replies. I had an interesting experience with customer service at B&H. After seeing my photos, the young man I spoke with said, "just peel off the protective film." I said, " Um, yeah, I thought of that too. There isn't one." He said, "Just peel off the protective film!" I said, "OK." and pierced one of the blisters in the aluminum plating. They accepted my return without question. Love those guys.

Interestingly, the Samyang version which I decided to order as a replacement (+$10 diff) is much better packaged. The Samyang is flawless.

I think you will really enjoy it, especially for bike action pics.

• Like Like x 1