Bought two legacy lenses today

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Artorius, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

Hello! Just recently began the foray into the legacy lens market. I've already purchased an SMC Takumar 55mm f2 m42 for $10 which I love! However, today I purchased two more legacy lenses for $5 a piece! One was an Auto Kentar 35mm 2.8. Its a bayonet mount, which I thought was a K-mount but it might be an MD or something else! I need help identifying this mount! Also, if anyone could point me in the direction of a review of this lens, it would be very helpful!
    P1000424.
    P1000423.

Secondly, I purchased a Konica Hexanon AR 40mm f1.8. I believe it is an MD! Does anyone know the value on a good copy of this lens? Here are some pictures if you need visual help to figure out what lens it is.
    P1000420.

P1000421.

2. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    The Konica Hexanon is in the AR mount. Actually, they both look like AR mounts to me.

I can't speak for the first lens, but the 40mm f/1.8 is quite a nice lens. Slightly soft wide open, but beautifully sharp stopped down with good contrast.

http://www.buhla.de/Foto/Konica/Objektive/e40_18.html

3. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I also think the first is AR mount. Well, the OP can just eyeball it against the Konica, but it's got the sane notch in one of the flanges. That will save on adapters.

Please consider rating the Kentar in the review section too. More of these obscure lenses should be in there.

4. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

I'll definitely consider it! I'm new to photography and have been using my Panasonic GH2 for mainly video shoots. But, my father-in-law is an avid photographer and has been passing some knowledge onto me. So hopefully once I get the right adapter I can deliver a competent review of the Kentar.

5. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    The Hexanon 40/1.8 is a great lens, from the front picture it looks like yours is a little banged up (filter thread bent)? It used to be very popular around here since the AR-m4/3 adapter is a bit smaller than most, and the 40mm is a pancake lens, so it makes for one of the more compact 40-50mm adapted lens options.

Konica 40mm f/1.8 Hexanon AR Image Thread

6. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Good start on lenses and great prices.

7. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

Thanks for the link! I ordered my AR adapter and I'm very excited to try this lens out. And funny story, the filter thread isn't banged up, but the top of a UV filter itself! The UV filter seems to be stuck and I haven't been able to remove it by hand or with rubber gloves. Any recommendations on this?

@Crdome- The pricing is definitely excellent! This is the biggest draw towards legacy for me! However, I've acquired these lenses through searching various thrift shops, pawn shops, etc. I've been lucky to find quality glass, but the bodies of the lenses tend to be a little rough. I have yet to find a pristine lens. The glass on my three lenses is just about immaculate, and they produce great images, but the bodies are dented ruining any hope on buying new front lens caps.

8. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Google "remove stuck filter lens" or similar. Instead of squeezing strongly with your fingers, it might be better to push the entire filter into something rubbery that will grip it as you twist the lens body. Or some combination of cold/heat?

9. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

Still haven't been able to get the filter off, but today I picked up a Takumar 28mm f2.8 for $40 at the Buena Park camera show. From my research this seems to be a good purchase and I like the images I've gotten out of it. I'll post the Kentar images soon as well!

10. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The Kentar looks like a Konica AR mount to me. Get an adapter for the Konica 40mm then you should be able use both lenses. The 40 is well worth it.

11. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    You may need to break the glass of the filter and then use plyers to in order to get the filter off...not a pleasant option.

12. asterinex

asterinex Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2012
    The 40 is small and good !

13. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Every time i see you guys having access to stores that sell lenses for 5-10$ a piece, i wish i was living in the states...

I'm stuck with ebay, paying 25$ per lens and 15-20$ for shipping...

14. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

Indeed, the Kentar was a Konica mount! Took some REALLY quick pictures before going out and here they are. Just some test pictures haven't really gone out and used the lens. Forgot to turn down the ISO so they're a little noisy, but just quick test shots.

_1000749.

_1000755.

_1000754.

15. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

Well, its been a lot of searching and scavenging in pawn shops, thrift stores, goodwill, etc. Some of them are dented or beat up (like my SMC Takumar 55) but I've usually found the glass is immaculate! However, if I want a guaranteed "like new" lens, I'll visit the camera show where they retail from $40-$150. Unlike clueless pawn shop owners, these camera aficionados have a good grasp and awareness about what they're selling, but the quality can't be beat! I've been tempted more than once to buy the many Zeiss Distagons and Flektagons available at these shows!

16. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Can be tough in Croatia but don't give up.

Every time I drive by a pawn shop I try to see if signs say anything about cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    A word of warning.........Hexanons can be addictive. I know I have a problem.

18. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    It takes knowing what you want, but Hrelich has worked for me in the past. Njuskalo can be hit or miss, and there is a guy up at Britanski Trg who sells lots of m42 stuff, but at retail prices (if not higher).

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    no pawn shops in Croatia, just not our thing. Too bad. But i think i get your point, sometimes you just have to make it your second nature to look everywhere for camera stuff.

I'm not saying i really need many legacy lenses, two reasonably fast lenses with different focal lengths (24ish and 50) will suffice. I already have a 50mm, so that's settled. I'm just saying that if i did come across a 5$ lens in fairly good shape, i'd jump on it regardless of the focal length :)

Hrelich (local flea market) was my first choice when i bought my camera, but a couple of people told me most of the good legacy stuff that was avaliable was gone 1,5-2 years ago so i didn't go. Which is weird, bcs there's not that much people with m43 cameras in Croatia (at least i didn't get that impression). the other reason i didn't go there until not was due to the poor weather, there's a lot of mud there if it rains or snows. I'll probably take a look there on sunday, if i make time.

I didn't bother searching over Njuskalo after i got my OM 50mm, but from the limited searching i did, they pretty much match ebay once you count in the shipping. And then some.

Never went to the flea market at britanski trg, shame on me :)

btw cruzan, you have a PM

20. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

My Hexanon has BEAUTIFUL bokeh! I love the colors too. If I find any more I'll definitely pick it up. Right now I have a full set of primes though and I plan to save up for the SLR Magic 12mm f1.6. Legacy is GREAT! And I really plan on getting more, but I definitely need something wider than my Sigma 19mm MFT. This is unfortunately the limit of the legacy lens route. You can't really get something that wide without fisheye and the widest focal lengths are priced nearly as high as native lenses anyways!