1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Bought an iPad - Need Photo Apps

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Narnian, May 31, 2011.

1. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    :biggrin:

For those who thought I was anti-Apple :tongue:

When I could not get an iPad 2 on the day it came out I rooted my Color Nook and tried Android 3.0. Android is still not there yet as a tablet OS and the small frustrations built up enough that I decided to buy an iPad yesterday. So far I love it.

I downloaded the Photoshop Express app yesterday and have just started playing with it. And, of course, the Mu-43 app.

So, who is using what iPad photo apps and why? And are there any "must have" accessories?

For that matter are there any "must have" non-photo apps as well that people here recommend?

2. MaxElmar

MaxElmar Mu-43 Regular

May 18, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    The HDMI and camera connectors are must-haves. I haven't seen any "must-have" photo editing software yet. "Photo-Wizard Editor HD" looks promising and some of the Flickr apps are cool. Apple may make a move with some sort of "Aperture" for iPad this year. PS Express wasn't doing much for me. I think the fun will start when you connect the camera to the iPad wirelessly. Olympus needs to get it's act together with the Pen Pal and iPad. I think that's partly on Apple (and their restrictions on Bluetooth) - but Olympus could get someone to put together an app for them. Anyone here try to connect to iPad with an Eye-Fi Card?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    I can recommend the camera connetion kit. If you use Flickr, the Flickstackr app is very good.

In my fever I tried and bought most photo editing apps. None are perfect (RAW is possible but limited beacuse of resources), but Photogene, Filterstorm and Photo fx Ultra are very good. Apparently Filterstorm Pro and Photogene handle RAW (but if you shoot jpeg+RAW they seem to import the jpeg as default)

Filterstorm is geared towards mass editings. It has nearly no presets though.
    Photogene is very well balanced and can upload to a lot of different services.
    Photofx Ultra has layers and presets, so if you like to do a quick editing it is the easiest, but you must post using another app. Used it yesterday for this

If you have more questions, ask and I'll look into it when I'm home.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

What are must have apps? I suspect they will vary depending on your needs and interest so I will keep it to my photographic related apps

As far as really photographic productivity goes I have all my manuals for every piece of equipment I own in PDF form and use iBooks to store these for quick reference.

For the productivity side I have Pages, Keynote, Numbers and Bento I think total cost is under $40

For photographic browsing I have Mu-43, Flickstackr, Indicommons, NPPA, Reuters Galleries, Life AB EX NT (MOMA Aps). Total cost maybe $1.

I have two paid photo apps, PhotobufferHD and PhotoCaddy which are good but too basic for my taste. Cost maybe $15

The only other thing I use is PhotoMaster a DOF calculator.

This is not the least bit complete as I don’t even touch on the obvious ones like Calendar, contacts, Maps, Photos and the bazillion books you can buy on photography and store in iBooks.

• Like Like x 1
  5. robertsalsbury

robertsalsbury New to Mu-43

May 31, 2011
    There are some great photo apps for iPad…I had a lot of fun on trips over the last year loading up my photos and getting some basic tweaks done at the end of the day...Working with photos by putting your grubby fingers all over them is a blast.

So, first, get the camera kit. It's just two little adapters that plug in to the iPad, and let you connect either an SD card or a usb cable leading to your camera. To my surprise, the iPad has no trouble reading RAW images at 10 or 12 megapixels.

Then, get some apps…Right now, my "photography" folder has Photogene and TouchUp for editing; PhotoSync is a great tool for moving images from an iPhone or iPad to the other one or to the desktop.

I have Photofactory as well, but I never really use it. Both Photogene and Touchup I like a lot; I use Photogene more but TouchUp is impressive. It's a one trick pony, but I love Plastic Bullet on my iPhone so it's on the iPad as well.

And I have the "Craft and Vision" app - it's a reader for some decent photography education books. I bought one book through that but I discovered I prefer to buy ebooks as PDFs rather than through a built in reader; there's no way to highlight or bookmark things in that.

You might think about getting GoodReader - it's not photo specific, but its a great swiss army knife type application and you can read, highlight, annotate your copy of "Vision and Voice" on it :)

I also have recently discovered FlickStackr, a great Flickr client.

That should get you started!

-Robert

(my non-photography must haves: Reeder - RSS; Index Card - for planning storylines; Notebooks - a great organizational tool; OmniFocus - helps manage project sized to do lists; Kindle - read kindle books; Instapaper - read things later you find during the day; OmniOutliner - all sorts of organizing).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Thanks for the info guys! i will look into these.

Actually book reading is one of my main uses for a tablet so those were the first apps I downloaded.

I currently synch my Outlook/Exchange and Gmail contacts, calendars and notes so any apps these must sync to almost anything (I have a Blackberry from work). Always makes it even more fun.

I am thinking of putting up a Sharepoint site and installing Microsoft OneNote on the iPad to synch list items - I already use OneNote on my laptop.

7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    x whatever we are up to on the camera connector kit.

I use Photogene, but pretty much only for bulk uploading to Facebook. The Shutterfly app works well too. Many people swear by Dropbox.

THE killer app for me, though, is "Fotopedia Heritage" - it contains photos from pretty much all (they say all, but I have been to at least one they didn't have pictures of) the UNESCO World Heritage sites. For a travel photographer, it is a great source for "recon" of the famous landmarks and what photos are available from different points of view.

My general workflow is to download the photos to the iPad for culling, delete the non-keepers off the card and return it to the camera. Then I can upload to FB or whatever from the iPad (if there is wireless), and I have a backup on the iPad to the originals still on the card.

Beware that when you sync photos TO the iPad through iTunes, they will be downsized. You don't want to go through iTunes to the ipad, and then back to the computer. Copy the files using either the card or viewing the iPad as an external device and drag/drop the files (or use Dropbox).

• Like Like x 1
  8. kgartner

kgartner New to Mu-43

CineCrop, ProHDR, CrossProcess, Iris Colour Suite, and TiltShift Gen are the apps that get the most use from me. You can check out some of my iPhoneography at Kert Gartner

• Like Like x 1
  9. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    iTunes was one of the reasons I switched from an iPod to Zune (well, plus the fact I got a Zune for free). I have not figured out how Apple can write such great software everywhere else and continue to miss the boat on this. I plan on not using it as much as I can.

I have been meaning to try Dropbox - I have an FTP server I have uses for 15 years to transfer files between systems. There are so many solutions (Tonido, etc.) it will take a while to sort through them.

10. Much in common with what others have posted. In addition, I use iBooks to keep PDFs of manuals for cameras, Aperture, etc. I also have a compilation of tips from a variety of sources that I copied/pasted into a document on the Mac, printed as PDF, and sent over to iBooks as well.

11. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    GoodReader is one of the most useful app's.

12. tomrock

tomrock Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
  13. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    So long as you are only going to display them on iPad, not do editing and return them to your co outer, I see no issues with the iTunes downsizing, it saves memory with little to no effect on the image