1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Bought an E-PL5!!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by zap, Sep 3, 2013.

1. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    uk
    hi all!!

yesterday, i gave in and finally bought a black E-PL5 from srsmicrosystems all the way from watford junction. at first i played around with the white version which was their last stock. i was about to come back at the end of the week for the next delivery when lo, a box from olympus came and in it was a black e-pl5!!

E-PL5 with panny 14, taken with E-PM1 and panny 20…

[​IMG]

i passed by Big Ben on my way home and took some test shots with the panny 20… Big Ben at sunset…

[​IMG]

there was this lady painter…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

one of them watching the sunset…

[​IMG]

2. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    uk
    a fellow photographer, LOL!! :wink:

[​IMG]

this one i took when i looked up and saw them looking out from up the stone stairs… imageshack said it's too big to upload so i had to crop out some negative space on all sides… :frown:

[​IMG]

and a busker under the tunnel connecting Guy's Hospital side to London Eye area…

[​IMG]

the London Eye…

[​IMG]

i'm loving my E-PL5!! :biggrin:

3. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Congratulations on your purchase. The E-PL5 is often the forgotten camera in Olympus's line. But it's a great piece and can do virtually everything the E-Px and OM-D can do. And it's not much larger than an E-PMx.

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Try shooting from waist level with the screen flipped horizontal. It's a very stable position.

5. MiguelATF

MiguelATF Mu-43 Veteran

E-PL5 is an awesome camera

With all the recent hullaballoo lately about how great (and overpriced) the E-P5 is, many photographers seem to have forgotten about the E-PL5....

Big mistake.

Or, rather, little mistake - since the E-PL5 is one of the smaller (almost smallest) Pen cameras these days. And with it's outrageously good - actually not 'good' but great - new sensor, it's even better.

Bottom line - it's a tremendous - and underrated - camera.

Enjoy it!

6. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I have the E-pl5 and can confirm that its an awesome and underrated camera.

7. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    While I'm not the number one fan of olympus's detachable viewfinder, I've used the EPL5 with viewfinder on a few trips and it is a great travel camera. Small, light, controls easy to navigate and great IQ. Coupled with the P20 or O25 it is a fantastic camera.

8. SLOtographer

SLOtographer Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 1, 2013
    California
    Stan
    Congrats!

Nice pics and welcome to the new sony sensor. I have enjoyed the little bro, EPM2 for about 8 months, after having an EP3 and GX1 before. Great sensor and lots of features, once one dives down into the labyrinthine menus.

9. Meph

Meph Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 3, 2013
    Reston, VA, USA
    Keith
    I'm anxiously awaiting for the PL5 I ordered this weekend. Got tired of carrying around my DSLR on trips and not satisfied being limited to my camera phone. The camera is coming with the kit lens and I'm planning on trading a couple of items to Keh camera to get the panny 20 1.7

10. gary.l

gary.l Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I got one, too, and was able to shoot some pics at a friend's wedding this past weekend. I really with it had a built-in flash since it'd be good for emergencies. It's a little bit harder to handle than the E-PL2 I have. And I had some trouble with flipping the screen while the touch screen was still enabled (need to remember to disable it first), but other than that, I'm loving it compared to my E-PL2.

Hope I'm not hijacking your thread. Just sharing my thoughts with you since we both love this camera. :) It produces great images.

11. coneslayer

coneslayer New to Mu-43

Aug 26, 2013
    I ordered one today, with the Panasonic 20/1.7. Looking forward to it.

12. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    uk
    thanks, all!! i'm really happy with the e-pl5... same sensor as e-m5 and quite a steal at£399 up front... with the promo offer-- free oly 17/2.8 (which i still have to apply for) that is let's say around £150 new, it comes down to £250!! quite a bargain!! the e-pm2 is priced £239 which is so close so i just opted for the e-pl5... i like my e-pm1 but my e-pl2's added dial/button really comes in handy...

the salesperson did say their oly bestsellers are the e-m5 before and e-pl5 now... they've sold out all stocks of their e-pl5 that week except for the last white version i ended up playing with... thx goodness their delivery came early and arrived whilst i was still there... :biggrin:

all photos i took with the panny 20 and *except for the very first one* the vf2... :smile:

13. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
    uk

not at all... :smile:

the vf2 now lives on top of the e-pl5, as it has done with whichever oly camera is the flavour of the season LOL!! so i haven't really tested the limits of the tilting screen... yet. :wink:

i think the e-pl5 is the one i've been waiting for, a descendant of my much loved e-pl2 with better IQ... the busker in the tunnel i shot with ISO 1600... also 16MP i'm more confident will withstand cropping better than 12MP when i can't help getting candids with very busy backgrounds... with the first picture of the lady painter, there was another lady on her left rummaging in her bag and i just can't tell her to move a bit, LOL!!:eek: :biggrin:

14. uofmtiger

uofmtiger Mu-43 Regular

Jun 20, 2013
    Memphis
    Derek
    Always nice to see another E-PL5 owner. It seems that most of the people on this forum have the E-M5. Personally, I wanted the smaller size and I preferred the price.

I am still getting used to taking pics using an LCD, since I am mainly uses to DSLRs, but I can add a VF4 down the road if I need it. I prefer this approach since I can leave the attachment at home when I want to travel ultra-light.

15. colrim

colrim New to Mu-43

I just bought one on a whim........really pleased so far with it..ok it can be fiddly at times and takes ages to learn how to use but I love the size and image quality......

16. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Congrats zap!

I'd love to hear more comparos with the EPL2 ergonomically. It seems considerably smaller just judging by the pics I've seen. I don't know if I want to go much smaller than the EPL2, but I'm considering the EPL5 in the long term.

17. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Sort out the on screen menu, get the Panasonic 20mm as the first prime, then the Olympus 45mm....simply wonderful.

18. catmurphy

catmurphy Mu-43 Regular

Sep 1, 2013
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Cathy
    I too just bought one this week--my first venture into the M43 world. Only have the 14-42 kit lens so far. Looking forward to getting out with it this weekend.

19. Meph

Meph Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 3, 2013
    Reston, VA, USA
    Keith
    My wife just let me know that mine arrived today and will be waiting for me when I get home. Should be a fun weekend.

20. e_kjellgren

e_kjellgren Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    Sweden
    I've got the E-PM1, do you think it's a worty upgrade?