Bought a P7-14 (again)

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by BigTam, Sep 5, 2016.

1. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    I really like wide, and for shooting in european churches, it's useful and can help you avoid making panoramas. I first tried this lens (used) when I had my E-M5, but the purple flare issue led me to sell it almost straight away. I shot for a long time with the 9-18, but the funny little lock thing drove me crazy.
    Now I've just bought a 7-14 again, and mounted on the GX7 - hey! No flares. Yet. Hope it stays that way. Should be a good travel combination with the 14-140 II.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I really like the P7-14, even though I use it on an Olympus body. The purple flares are a PITA but I can usually get rid of them in PP (I must get the rear filter holder). Even so, some of my favourite shots have been with that lens. I've looked at the Oly 7-14, but it's expensive and significantly bigger and heavier than the Pany for apparently little or no IQ gain (and I don't need the extra stop).

I also live in hope that the next Oly sensor (in the E-M1ii) won't have the same problem. In fact - it would be interesting to know if the problem still exists with the Pen F. Anyone out there got this combo?
  3. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    I don't have the Pen-F, but had the EM5 II and it had the same issue. I wouldn't hold my breath here, Olympus would much rather sell you a 7-14/2.8 than add features to their cameras to make Panasonic lenses work better.

In any case, the rear filter swap is a lot cheaper than a new camera body and very easy to do.