Bought a new-to-me E-M1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by marcl, Jun 30, 2016.

1. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    After much reflection, I purchased an E-M1 a couple days ago from an ad on Craigslist. (Funny that the rumor of the E-M1mk2 came out the day after!) My new-to-me E-M1 looks like new displaying only 3,400 on the shutter count. The trigger for the purchase was really this article: Better Family Photos: The Joys Of Owning An Olympus E-M1 (firmware v4.0) which highlighted some of my wishes owning the E-M5:
    - better C-AF
    - anti-shock improvements (the Panny 45-175 was terrible on the E-M5)

Now that I have spent a couple of days with it, I am finding that some improvements matter more than I thought they would:
    - ergonomics (wow, everything you can wish for is at your fingertip)
    - improved EVF
    - higher max shutter speed, tethered shooting, WiFi, in-camera HDR, better responsiveness

After owning the E-M5 since it came out, I am finding myself re-learning how to use an Oly. Thanks to all the great resources, I have made much headway getting there. It has not been a simple process since the firmware updates have made so many improvements over the lifetime of the E-M1 that some of the information is either stale or actually misleading.

Talking about improvements, I am impressed that Olympus released so many new features that have made the E-M1 much more future-proof than other OM-D or PEN cameras. Kudos to them for that. Their flagship product has been a true flagship.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Congrats on the acquisition of an amazing camera. I to came from the EM5 to the EM1 and felt the same way. The EM1 really is laid out very well, probably the best camera in that respects that I have ever used. I honestly feel it is just a tad to small, especially without the grip. With the grip it is almost perfect.

3. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    The E-M1 is a big step up from the E-M5 for sure. The build quality alone is a big plus.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    That was another factor in upgrading to the E-M1: the half-grip was spending a lot of time on my E-M5. So in terms of size and weight, they are about the same by the end of it.

5. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Yes they are and my EM5 (which is my go every where with me camera) always has the half-grip on it. Even with the half-grip it is awkward because the placement of the shutter button is not the best where the EM1 is perfect.

• Like Like x 1
  6. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    The half grip + em5 is actually bigger and heavier than the EM1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    You are right.
    Noticeably, you are right. I definitely liked the E-M1's weight and size better than that of the E-M5 with the half grip on.

8. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Congratulations on your new (to you) E-M1! I've been loving mine over a year now and I'm so glad I pulled the trigger on this purchase. It's the best digital camera I've ever owned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Noticeably? The EM5 with half-grip is 31grams heavier and while it is approximately 1/2 centimeter taller it is 1/2 centimeter shorter and the EM1 has larger/beefier grip. Essentially they are the same size but I prefer that extra height of the EM5 because it's just tall enough to fit my pinky finger (the EM1 it hangs off the bottom). I am hoping the make the mk2 just a bit taller to fit my finger. I place the current EM1 as just a bit to small and I have medium/small hands.

10. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I have large hands and I agree about the E-M1 being a tad short. When I first used the E-M1 I had a bad case of 'Pinky Fatigue' but with my PRO zooms I decided to try out the HLD7 Battery Grip for the E-M1 and my grip is perfect. I can shoot for hours in landscape or portrait mode without a lot of fatigue. You really need to handle the E-M1 personally to determine if the grip is right for your hands or maybe you might need the HLD7 for large hands.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    I got the grip with my EM1 and it only comes off to replace the battery. With the grip the camera is actually about perfect. I would love if they made the mk2 with integrated grip.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    I hope they do not because I would like the flexibility of choosing whether or not to use! Matter of personal choice I guess.

13. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    Maybe I notice it more because of how I hold the camera. The grip of the E-M1 is a bit fatter than the 1/2 grip of the E-M5. I like that better.