1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

bought a jupiter 8 on ebay. Have some questions.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by colbycheese, May 14, 2015.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I just ordered a M39 jupiter 8 lens on ebay the other day. This is the one i bought

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/281689271705?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I have a few questions about this lens, most importantly, do those "cleaning marks" or scratches on the front anything to worry about? Otherwise is the condition of this lens good? The rear element looks perfect but i am just worried about the front, with all those scratches. However it seems all of these lenses i found on eBay have scratches of some sort on the front element. Spending more doesn't seem to make a difference. Anyways, i just wanted someone to look at this lens for me. Thank you

2. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Edit: I just realized i posted this in the wrong spot. Can anyone move it over to the adapted lens forum? THank you

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Judging by the images in the listing, this lens appears to be in decent condition. Obviously the proof of the lens will be in the shooting (or more specifically the images), but I would generally not be overly concerned about the impact on the final image of small scratches on the front element. You might want to check out this article to see how a lens with an exceedingly dirty front element can still produce decent images.

4. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    OK. Thats mostly what i figured as well. I remember that article from a while back. The thing is, its hard to tell in the photo, but are those scratches deep or are they fairly light? Because from what i have read the deeper the scratch, the more chance it will affect image quality. Is this true?

5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Obviously, this is true as a deeper scratch is going to be more likely to cause greater distortion in the bending of the light. However, based on the auction photos I'm not seeing any extreme scratches in that front element.

At this point, the lens is yours, so I'm not sure what difference any speculation of how it might perform really means anything. The only thing you can do at this point is wait for it to arrive and try it out.

6. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Yeah i guess that's true. I don't honestly think i will be able to find one in perfect condition. Something this old cannot be in 100% condition.

7. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    You can get away with a lot on the front element. Damage to the rear element tends to cause more problems. From the photos I don't think you'll see any effect from the scratches.

8. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I got two copies of the black Jupiter-8 off evilbay and neither is scratched.

9. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    The scratches look pretty minor. With patience there are better examples available, but I don't think that level of scratching will have any real observable impact. Fit a lens hood though!

10. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    I have a ltm version of the jupiter-3. Quite a few cleaning marks on the front element. The glass in the front element is apparently quite soft. I would need a second copy in perfect shape to say whether or not these cleaning marks affects it, but it doesn't seem to affect my joy of using it.

11. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    The link doesn't work anymore, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. I have an FD mount Vivitar 80-200 that has a front element that looks like it was casually sandblasted haha. It has a fairly large area of pretty deep pitting on the front element...and it still has excellent picture quality. I'm guessing scratches/pitting would cause weird ghosts/flares, but other than that...meh... :D