Bought a 12-40.....return/keep 60mm Macro.

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Dave in Wales, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Opinions please as to the use the 60mm will get considering the 12-40 close focusing ability.....and they are both f2.8.
  2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    The 60mm gives a 1x ratio while the 12-40mm only gives a .3x. The scale for macro is much better for the 60mm. Keep in mind thats really a 40mm eq focal length difference.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    get exntension tubes and keep the usefulness of 12-40
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Simple question is how much macro do you actually shoot?
  5. Trankster

Trankster Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Irvine, CA
    What is your purpose for the lens? I have both, but use the 12-40mm 90+% of the time for travel, around town, family events and outdoor photos. My other lenses including the 60mm are in my bag but rarelty used since getting the 12-40mm. My "macro" photography is usually tree bark, leaves, pine needles, cobble stones etc. which the 12-40mm handles quite nicely. I am keeping the 60mm for now, but questioning whether I need it long term.

Update 2/4-sold my 60mm due to lack of use. The 12-40mm is my goto always-on lens.
  6. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    There is a difference between a true Macro lens and a lens with close focus ability. If you are mainly after a Macro lens, then you are concerned about the "Reproduction Ratio". A Macro lens has several of them and you will first set the lens up to the required reproduction ratio on a tripod through manual focus or whatever means, then move the camera through a bellow system until you get the image in the viewfinder sharp. That's your reproduction ratio and then you shoot based on that. Whereas, a close focusing lens is not too concerned about reproduction ratio, but has the ability to focus close to the subject and provide a somewhat good reproduction ratio of the intended subject matter.

If you are anal about the accuracy and the versatility of the reproduction ratio for copy work or for critters, forensic work and so forth is to keep the 60mm Macro. If you are not too concerned about accuracy, then the 12-40 lens is good enough for what you want to do with it.

Unless you are into Macro photogaphy, for general travel and street photography, the lens itself will probably fill about 5% of your shots, whereas 90% will be with a 12-40 and then another 5% with super telephoto zooms like the 35-100 or the 40-150 zooms.
  7. Trankster

Trankster Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Irvine, CA
    Very well said. I can withdraw my comments. :)

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Yeah, that's the key. I sort of think that if you have to ask the question, you probably should sell the 60mm and the 12-40 will meet your needs. That certainly applied to me. I got a good deal on a used 60 and enjoyed playing around with it for a while, but I'm not even remotely a hard-core macro shooter. When I saw how much I could do with the 12-40 in terms of close focus, I sold the 60mm almost immediately. If you're heavily enough into macro to need the 60mm, you probably already know exactly what and for what. Since you don't seem to be that guy, like me, you're probably gonna be plenty happy with the 12-40...

• Like Like x 1
  9. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    I thought I would get into macro and picked up the Panny 45mm f2.8 awhile back. However, I discovered "true macro", as described above, to be a lot more complicated than I'd expected with the insanely shallow DoF. I have since recently picked up the 12-40 and found that it's "near macro" is just about perfect for my occasional macroish usage. I just posted these on the 12-40 thread as a great example of my occasional macro and the lenses ability.
  10. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    If you do a lot of macro, keep the 60, I have it too, and love because macro is my main interest in photography; but if you don't shoot a lot of macro, do you use the 60mm focal length enough to justify it?
  11. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Many thanks to one and all, very helpful.

Once the 12-40 arrives, hopefully today, it will be ab easy decision to make.

And of course there is allways the E-M1 Digi-Teleconverter to add into the equasion.
  12. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    If you want closer macro with the 12-40 you could add the Kenko extension tubes (or a cheaper alternative) - they allow AF/EXIF and are decent quality. I'm using them with my Oly 45mm, prefer them to the Raynox getup for less faffing!
  13. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    12-40mm in....60mm out.

What a beautiful lens, if the IQ is anything like the BQ it ought to be some lens.

I have ordered a set of Kenko extension tubes to put them through their paces, but I suspect the 'working-distance' may be to small to live with, I'll post some images.
  14. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    I just tried the 12-40 with a 10mm extension.
    It increases magnification from being able to fit 50mm on the long side of the sensor to fitting 30mm (at 40mm focal length).
    However the subject is practically touching the front element, you have to take the lens hood off it's so close.
    Maximum focal distance becomes about 110mm from the front of the lens, so the range is pretty useful. Of course, the lens would be internally focusing at infinity and the extension ring bringing it closer, so the image would presumably not be corrected as well.
    The 60mm macro is still the better lens for macro, but the 12-40 is really pretty good.

• Like Like x 1
  15. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    Drat - sorry, was assuming working distance would be similar to using it with my 45mm/1.8 - which about 6-12 inches away according to my fuzzy memory.
    Best working distance so far with the tubes is my OM 100mm, a couple of feet away for objects quite close to sensor size filling the frame.
  16. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    I'm so glad I joined this forum first of all. I am new to the m4/3 format but I am hooked. It will be a long time before I pick up my 5D again ;)

Thanks for sharing the extensions. I was on the fence about which ones to get because I couldn't find many reviews yet but these look great.

I have both the 12-40mm and the 60mm and I couldn't see parting with either one. Having a true macro lens of this quality on this system is not something to take for granted. Plus I use the 60 for portrait work. When you put it in the longer focus range only it's actually a quite capable 120mm equivalent lens. My first instinct is always to use native setups before adding extensions so for me ( without funds yet for the 75mm f1.8 ) the 60mm has two very useful applications that compliment my 12-40mm.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 1
  17. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    I have both, and use the 60mm a great deal.
  18. rstrader

rstrader Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I have and use both as well. My thoughts on the subject are... if you need the 60 for a particularly spectacular subject and don't have it, well you'll be very bummed!
  19. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    I will chime in for keeping the 60mm. Personally I like the focal length as well the rendering of the length. Not only for portraits but occasionally also for landscapes and detail shots.
  20. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    I might have days where macro is prime, where the rest of the time it isn't, but I would keep the macro lens as it is a longer focal length & would have a longer working distance than the 12-40 with extension tubes (10mm or 16mm or both) & being small enough it is more convenient to just swap the lens than to muck around in putting the extension tubes in (caps off here & there, trying to keep the dust out & placing the lenses, tubes & caps some where). The 60mm macro lens is also good as a short telephoto lens too.