1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Bottom of the moon?

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by hmpws, May 29, 2010.

1. hmpws

hmpws Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Here is a picture I took of the moon with my Minolta 135mm, when the moon was sky high.

The lens is obviously not long enough, and here is a many many % crop of the original:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonytse/4704418803/" title="_1040532.jpg by ttse007, on Flickr"> View attachment 145329 "500" height="500" alt="_1040532.jpg" /></a>

My question is what causes the "texture" along the bottom of the moon? Is the lens reaching its diffraction limit?

2. CalebPhotographer

CalebPhotographer Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Florida
    There is less light at the bottom of the moon, and your shot is correctly exposed for that portion of the moon so the details in the craters stand out.

3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Yup. Your moon shot is slightly over exposed.

4. hmpws

hmpws Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Thanks for the comments. I will try again tonight if the weather is nice enough, i find that this is kind of hard to do this well on the LCD though.

5. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

That part of the moon is not fully illuminated it is partially in shadow hence the texture.

6. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Try bending over and shooting backwards through your legs for a better moon effect.

Oops. Back to lurking now.

Bokeh D

7. CalebPhotographer

CalebPhotographer Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Florida
    You can change the metering to take from the center, and then adjust the EV+/- to compensate.

8. georger

georger Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2010
    Low grazing angles of Sun illumination enhances Moon’s topography on the edge (bottom on your picture). With a higher magnification you would be able to see separate mountain peaks. See attached photo I copied from the Web.
    George.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. ianc

ianc New to Mu-43

Jun 30, 2010
    Essex UK
    Exposures for the moon are pretty easy, put the camera in shutter priority mode and set the shutter speed to 1/125th second for a full moon, bracketing 1 stop either side can be a good idea as well.

The edge markings are the surface texture as pointed out above.

You could also attach your camera via a T mount and nose piece instead of the eye piece in a telescope, you can use an ordinary tripod as with the shutter speeds mentioned its still enough to freeze any motion.

The below shot was taken using a 1.3mp webcam type camera and a celestron 6" telescope, I purposely darkened the shots so the surface brightness wasn't a problem, its a mosaic of 3 shots @F10.

9897_large.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

10. ChristopheG

ChristopheG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    Wondering it is looks amazing. Really I would like to say your work is very nice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.