1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Bottom 10 Most Boring Olympic Sports

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by nueces snapper, Aug 7, 2012.

1. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Personally I can't stand more than a minute or so of Water Polo. Maybe because it's like watching a bunch of folks being water tortured. :tongue: So that's the sport most likely to make me reach for the remote control.

Next I guess would be soccer. It's like watching paint dry. Sorry all you soccer fans. I know its a great sport. I probably would enjoy playing it ( if I was a LOT younger ) but looking at it on the TV? Can't handle it. :rolleyes:

Third worst I suppose would be team rowing. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Anybody else want to stick your neck out. :biggrin:

2. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Olympic soccer, and international soccer in general, is very dull. They just don't play together enough to develop the exciting attacking football you get at club level. Add that to the fact that it's always a knockout competition, so teams are extra cautious.

I think watching the MLS is a great way to get into soccer if you find it dull- there are some great players coming in to the league now, and to make life easier for them the defending is terrible! Eventually you'll enjoy watching a tense 0-0 draw like me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Drassage and horse jumping. I'm particularly aware because its my wife's favorite, and I have to watch it with her.

Water polo to me is fascinating like a train wreck. i'm assuming it was invented by frat boys on a dare?

I try not to be drinking anything when synch swimming comes on, or liquid comes out my nose in laughter. Reminds me of the old SNL Martin Short skit from the 80s.

With apologies to the lovers of those sports. As a baseball fan, I am aware of how completely boring it is to most people, if that helps at all.

I think, though, that I'll pretty much watch any of the sports.

• Like Like x 3
  4. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Olympic judo is just a hollow shell of a once mighty art. I'll watch the highlights streamcast but even that is a dissapointment.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I wish they allowed cricket... just sayin':smile:

• Like Like x 2
  6. nueces snapper

My condolences. :tongue:

Probably :biggrin:

:rofl: I was too chicken to mention that one. My sentiments exactly however.

Yeah, I find myself watching all kinds of things and quite drawn in where I would not have thought I would be. :2thumbs:

7. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm hugely with you on 2 out of 3, but I do like watching soccer. As Liamness mentions, int'l soccer is often a bit slow and boring, but if you caught the US women's semifinal you would not think so.

I've suggested bull sharks in the pool to liven up water polo, and at least some random jagged rocks for rowing, but no one is taking me seriously.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Synchronised swimming is at the top of my "I'd rather sit and watch the grass grow list".

Soccer isn't far behind.

Beach Volley Ball is probably the silliest sport but I'm going to give it a pass mark because of the cute girls in bikinis (and you people forcing some teams to cover up need to realize that the brief costumes are the only appeal this sport has) :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. nueces snapper

Yeah but, I TVoed the American girls against the Chinese and am watching it now. Pretty strong play. The chinese girls are younger and hotter too. :biggrin:

10. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Dressage, Synchronized Swimming, Synchronized Diving, Weightlifting (both men and women), Badminton, Ping Pong (whoops - "Table Tennis") all immediately come to mind. I'm sure there are more - if I'd take the time to watch them so I know that they even exist. :smile:

I'm also not a fan of any sport that is won thru judging, rather than a definite score or tally of some sort. (Yes - that means gymnastics too.... I know that I'm in the very small minority with that one.)

IMO, there are way too many sports in the Summer games. And, now the NFL Commissioner is saying that they're working on getting American Football into the Olympics? Give me a break! :rofl:

With all that said, I watched a Handball match and enjoyed it very much.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    WI
    Synchronized swimming, rhythmic gymnastics, race walking, some of the track events, marathon, weightlifting, tennis (yes, tennis - there's a Grand Slam every year, so why bother with pro olympic tennis). I want to like dressage, but I just can't.

I do love that the Internet allows me to watch fencing, which was never available on broadcast tv.

• Like Like x 1
  12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Where do you find the Olympics feed on TV? I can only find NBC's official site, and they want me to use my payTV credentials. We don't have cable. Only rabbit ears.

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    OK, but y'all better admit you're watching Women's floor exercise right now. Aren't you!

• Like Like x 2
  14. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    WI
    WT - you have broadcast NBC channel in Boston, right? Do you have fast internet? If so, you shouldn't need any credentials at the NBC site. If, that is, you're watching old events. I find that same-day internet streams are blocked unless you log in/register, but the out-of-date events stream up with no login required. For me, anyway. YMMV.

15. nueces snapper

UH HUH :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  16. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I'll try it out. I did try to find some same-day content. I think I understand the issue. Thanks!

17. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    I pass on handball, water polo, beach volleyball, anything with horses (or any animal for that matter). Soccer, much like basketball, I only watch when it's sort of "playoffs" stage.

Apart from those I pretty much enjoy watching all, especially since I can only watch a lot of them every four years.

• Like Like x 1
  18. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Women's boxing.. LOL .. can't wait for Basketball! I bet NBC is taking a hit on this contract so far.. If you are a swimmer, you may disagree.. so far it has been like watching paint dry..

• Like Like x 1
  19. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Comcast provides online access to pretty much all the events. I grew up in England and participated in both horse jumping & fencing as a kid, so my favs are dressage, jumping and fencing. I tried to watch soccer, basketball and beach volleyball, but just couldn't do it. :smile:

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ralser

Ralser Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2011
    As I understand there is a dress code in beach volleyball, the girls have to wear bikinis.

Steve

• Like Like x 1