Both Sigma Lenses 19/30 for $199

dcriver

Mu-43 Rookie
Y2k

You are right.

Just rechecked and it is now showing discontinued. I did note that when I ordered the bundled lens that the individual lenses were also in stock as well. Currently the 19mm f/2.8 is out of stock(not listed) on the website.

So I feel that maybe indicator that if the individual lenses are available, B&H may also be offering the bundle. If you are really interested in this bundle keep checking for their listing. These lenses are fast sellers.

Just want to help this community(mu-43). It has been a great resource for me.

witchcraftz

Mu-43 Regular
Talked to B&H:
The Sigma 19mm f/2.8 EX DN and 30mm f/2.8 EX DN for Micro Four Thirds Lens Kit has been discontinued by Sigma and is no longer available.

It will not be returning to stock.

The Sigma 30mm f/2.8 EX DN Lens for Panasonic/Olympus Micro 4/3 Cameras by itself, B&H # SI3028OPM43, is currently in stock.

Both lenses have been replaced with the newer models, the Sigma 19mm f/2.8 DN Lens for Micro Four Thirds Cameras (Black), B&H # SI1928DNM43B, and the 30mm f/2.8 DN Lens for Micro Four Thirds Cameras (Black), B&H # SI3028DNM43B, which are new lenses that are currently expected to be available around April 15, 2013.

witchcraftz

Mu-43 Regular
If you ordered before 12PM today PST you got your order, after that the item status was changed to discontinued and they closed any further orders.

dcriver

Mu-43 Rookie
Talked to B&H:Quote:
The Sigma 19mm f/2.8 EX DN and 30mm f/2.8 EX DN for Micro Four Thirds Lens Kit has been discontinued by Sigma and is no longer available.

It will not be returning to stock.

The Sigma 30mm f/2.8 EX DN Lens for Panasonic/Olympus Micro 4/3 Cameras by itself, B&H # SI3028OPM43, is currently in stock.

Both lenses have been replaced with the newer models, the Sigma 19mm f/2.8 DN Lens for Micro Four Thirds Cameras (Black), B&H # SI1928DNM43B, and the 30mm f/2.8 DN Lens for Micro Four Thirds Cameras (Black), B&H # SI3028DNM43B, which are new lenses that are currently expected to be available around April 15, 2013.
Witchcraftz

I totally understand. My reason for posting is that there is some possibility this item may be restocked for whatever reason. Manufacturer overstock or unexpected inventory shows up. Also whoever said "It will not be returning to stock." said with the expected understanding notwithstanding their probable and quite understadable "margin of professional error":rolleyes: i.e. sales/management info doens't always coincide with inventory info. They were obviously incorrect in this case.

The item listing has either been nonexistant or showing the popular B&H "discontinued" message. I just happened to be lucky enough to cath it while it lasted(a few hours). So for those still looking for a good deal on prime lenses, it doesn't hurt to keep looking. I'm sure glad I did!
:smile:

Cheers!!

Taki

Mu-43 Rookie
dcriver, just wanted to thank you for resurrecting this thread. I was able to order the two Sigma lens kit for $199. When I ordered this morning they were in stock and my order was "sent to warehouse" :) I was about to get 30mm from an Amazon seller at $130.

RDM

Mu-43 All-Pro
I've been checking a couple of times a day every day this week and they were always listed as discontinued. Congrats to whoever got theirs. :)
x2 for me on that . Congrats all !

I seen may of these sets on the auction site for $250 to $290. One guy has a listing for the set at $159 BIN with a quantity of 4 sets. I guess that explains the fast depletion if this sale. It was the scummy resellers that are trying to profit and snatched up many sets before some of us poor enthusiasts could afford to even get one.

Also the only sets that are still on sale and stocked anywhere are in the NEX mount. I guess that says something for the NEX system right there.

Also I can't remember but is the new version of the 19mm & 30mm lenses supposed to be optically any better than or the same as the old ones?

madogvelkor

Mu-43 Top Veteran
They're supposed to be the same optically, just with slicker looking exteriors that are metal and smooth instead of plastic. Though I don't think anyone outside of Sigma has gotten their hands on them to test, so we'll have to wait and see.

Though from everything I've heard, they older versions were nice lenses to begin with. The main issue with them is that they were designed bigger than they needed to be so they could be made for both MFT and the NEX. From what I've seen though the MFT version is the one that is more scarce. So if they produced the same numbers of both, that should tell Sigma something.

Also I can't remember but is the new version of the 19mm & 30mm lenses supposed to be optically any better than or the same as the old ones?

kwalsh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think one other change with the new version is it isn't suppose to take three or four seconds to "boot up" the way the older ones do. But my understanding is also that optically they are suppose to be identical.

mrjr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
From what I've seen though the MFT version is the one that is more scarce. So if they produced the same numbers of both, that should tell Sigma something.
I'm totally speculating, but I have to think that Sigma made/sold way more of the NEX/E-mount versions because it seems like everyone with a NEX has had at least one of those lenses. (And for good reason: the lens options are fewer, and the Sigmas offer good performance in useable focal lengths). And it's not uncommon to see a NEX body selling with a Sigma lens on eBay, whereas I haven't seen any m43 bodies with Sigma lenses.

But yeah, the m43 versions sold out more quickly, and still command a higher price on the used market, which indicates to me that fewer of them are floating around.

I could very much be wrong, though.

But that big sell-off certainly put the Sigmas on the radar; I didn't see people talking about them much before that sale.

madogvelkor

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Before you could pick up used 14mm and 17mm lenses for around the cost of the 19mm Sigma, so people were probably going for the brand name and/or pancake form. And 30mm is an odd FOV on MFT, it's not really normal or good for portraits.

But that big sell-off certainly put the Sigmas on the radar; I didn't see people talking about them much before that sale.

mrjr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Before you could pick up used 14mm and 17mm lenses for around the cost of the 19mm Sigma, so people were probably going for the brand name and/or pancake form. And 30mm is an odd FOV on MFT, it's not really normal or good for portraits.
That's true. The 19 is arguably competing for consumer attention against two other, smaller lenses that offer more customary focal lengths at bargain prices. And, as you pointed out, they are first party lenses, so there's better awareness, etc.

The 30 is similarly unusual, although we used to see 58mm primes on the 135 format from people like Minolta. The 30 would match that FoV, but it's certainly not a common focal length for a prime.

I suspect that you are right: not too many people had an application for these focal lengths.

RichardB

Snapshooter
Real Name
Richard
And 30mm is an odd FOV on MFT, it's not really normal or good for portraits.
The 30mm (60mm equivalent) is wide for a traditional portrait lens, but I often take portraits of my 2 kids together, and I noticed that I was using my kit zoom at around 30mm for those shots. For solo portraits, the 30mm length is useful if the subject is doing something, and of course you can always crop the image to as tight a head shot as you want.

dcriver

Mu-43 Rookie
MY order is Fullfilled.

Just received Lenses. Both look great and are performing great. Included a nice nylon pouch for each lens.:2thumbs::smile:

With_Eyes_Unclouded

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Vassilios
The 30mm (60mm equivalent) is wide for a traditional portrait lens, but I often take portraits of my 2 kids together, and I noticed that I was using my kit zoom at around 30mm for those shots. For solo portraits, the 30mm length is useful if the subject is doing something, and of course you can always crop the image to as tight a head shot as you want.

The "60mm equivalent" is great for 3/4ths portraiture and easier than the usual 85-90mm for whole body shots, because sometimes you don't have the space to stand at the right distance from the subject. It's a good creative alternative to have and I'm happy there is decent quality/price offering with the Sigma.

madogvelkor

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The "60mm equivalent" is great for 3/4ths portraiture and easier than the usual 85-90mm for whole body shots, because sometimes you don't have the space to stand at the right distance from the subject. It's a good creative alternative to have and I'm happy there is decent quality/price offering with the Sigma.
I suppose it is a decent alternative to the 25mm -- slower and a bit narrower FOV, but also 1/3rd the price or less. I can sort of see the two Sigmas as budget alternatives to the 20mm and 25mm. And depending on the price of the 60mm, it might be an alternative to the Olympus 45mm or 75mm, or it just might fill a gap. Though they'll also be competing with all of those manual focus 50/55/58 mm lenses from 35mm cameras.

With_Eyes_Unclouded

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Vassilios
I suppose it is a decent alternative to the 25mm -- slower and a bit narrower FOV, but also 1/3rd the price or less. I can sort of see the two Sigmas as budget alternatives to the 20mm and 25mm. And depending on the price of the 60mm, it might be an alternative to the Olympus 45mm or 75mm, or it just might fill a gap. Though they'll also be competing with all of those manual focus 50/55/58 mm lenses from 35mm cameras.
That's about right, on all counts. It's great to have alternatives and, for one, I'm glad Sigma offered (virtually by accident) these focal lengths.

Cruzan80

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Sean Rastsmith
Though they'll also be competing with all of those manual focus 50/55/58 mm lenses from 35mm cameras.
I think there will not be much in the way of overlap between the legacies and the 60mm Sigma (if it gets released). Basing this off of the interest the 30mm 2.8 generated for people on here, whereas cheaper 28mm 2.8 legacies were made for almost any mount. The people who will go for it will want the price difference compared to the Oly 60, instead of having to compete with legacy glass. It may end up being the same back-and-forth as we have seen between the Sigma 19 and the Pana 20 (or even the odd Oly 17 for comparison).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom