Both Panasonic and OMD to announce cameras on October 27th?

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Panasonic said a few weeks ago they would have an announcement on October 27th, this is assumed to be the GH6 release:

https://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-selling-lumix-gh6-announcement-date/

Now OMD is ready to announce the new naming structure and share info on the WOW camera on the same day:

https://www.43rumors.com/on-october...nd-share-first-info-about-the-new-wow-camera/

I haven't seen a time for Panasonic's announcement, but OMD is set for 8:00 a.m. EDT. Given that early time, is it an effort to beat Panny to the punch or is it a concerted effort between them to create excitement in the M-4/3 community by having two major announcements on the same day?

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
I am running out of body parts to sell. So let's hope that I don't need the own any of them.

swifty

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Dave
It’s becoming an exciting fortnight or so.
Potentially four major announcements from four players.

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
To my knowledge Nikon still has to officially launch the Z9, their mirrorless flagship. They released a few teasers the last couple of weeks, but an official, full announcement hasn't happened yet.

There's also Fujifilm with an X-H2 and a new sensor generation somewhere on the horizon, however they only recently announced some new stuff, so I doubt it's going to happen shortly.

swifty

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Dave
Sony is announcing the A7 IV today. What's the other one? Didn't Canon recently release one?
What Ghostbuggy said.
OMD wow camera
Panasonic Gh6
Sony A7IV
Nikon Z9
I didn’t know about Fuji so possibly a fifth?

But yea, all very important models for their respective systems.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
To my knowledge Nikon still has to officially launch the Z9, their mirrorless flagship. They released a few teasers the last couple of weeks, but an official, full announcement hasn't happened yet.
I just checked the Nikon rumor site and they're expected to announce the day after OMD/Panny, so Oct. 28th.

You guys are right, it's getting busy!

Mountain_Man_79

Brannigan’s Law is like Brannigan’s love
Real Name
Chris
I find the Panny announcement date curious, as they’re new camera isn’t slated to be available for purchase until January (I have the exact date written down in a work notebook someplace, but 3rd week sounds right off the top of my head). So unlike a Sony for example, who announces the same day that preorders become available, the fact that Panny and OMD are sharing an announcement date, and at least for Panny it‘s months before it becomes available, is interesting to me.

I‘m also curious about Nikon. I meet with them every other week, and the last we met they were very excited about a ‘new‘ product coming and wouldn’t name it or go into further detail. Which since the Z9 was already publicly teased (and we’d already talked about the Z9), I’m not sure what to make out of it. They either are super excited about the Z9‘s capabilities or some feature that maybe does more than what the general public is aware of, or there will be yet another camera coming? My gut feeling is the latter...and I can only hope selfishly it’s a full frame Zf. Time will tell I suppose.

Last edited:
Incremental improvements packaged with slick marketing to get EM1.2 owners to ante up and buy something new they don't really need for $2.5k.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
the fact the Panny and OMD are sharing an announcement date, and at least for Panny it‘s months before it becomes available, is interesting to me.
Actually, both. If you read the OMD link it says they're announcing features. That could easily put the camera well into next year.

IMO they're both trying to maintain public interest with these other systems being announced around them. Trying to keep in the news, so to speak. With nothing to release yet, people thinking about coming to M-4/3 may be persuaded to wait a few more months for the new cameras.

Wouldn't it be nice if they announced further compatibility between brands? Such as Sync-IS?

Every time I see comments like this I :rofl: It is never going happen and neither company has any incentive to make it happen. Olympus has the best IBIS in the camera industry and they have spent a lot of R&D money developing this. To do joint dual IS they would have to share all their IBIS tech so that the lenses would work with the other brand cameras. They are not going to do that, would be stupid to do that for something that provides zero benefit them. Tell me how it would benefit Olympus to have you buying a Panasonic lens to use on your Olympus camera? They want you to buy their 100-400, not Panasonics since they get zero money from you buying a Panny lens.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom