1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Boston photo suggestions?

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Wasabi Bob, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

My wife and I decided that we both need to get away. We're going to visit Boston at the end of this month to play tourist. Obviously, photography will be high on my agenda. Can those of you who are familiar with Boston and its suburbs suggest some places that might keep her attention and provide some good photographic opportunities?

I'll be sure to share some photos when we return!

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The old Massachusetts state house is a very well maintained colonial era building on an isolated island of land surrounded by skyscrapers. Lots of amazing angles. The Hancock tower is almost cliched with its glass sides reflecting an old dark stone church at it's base but it's still fun to shoot. The New England Holocaust Memorial is very visual and geometric but still pretty chilling. Of course, there are always the many thousand street scenes and the wide range of architecture. Enjoy.

3. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Well, Boston = history, pretty much.

Recently there were a few of us :43: members who joined in a Photo Walk, and Beacon Hill is not bad at all. And there's always the tourist-y stops - Faneuil Hall, Harvard, Boston Common, Fenway Park, etc. You can also try Chinatown for street. There's always something interesting happening on those places, and interesting architecture is everywhere.

Near where I stay, there's the birthplace of John Adams, John Quincy Adams and Abigail Adams, if you're into that kind of stuff. :smile:

You'll never go wrong with Boston. Good luck and enjoy your stay!

4. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    The back bay area is full of treats. The Boston Public Library is fun to explore, especially the old section and there is the observation desk in the the John Hancock and Prudential towers, although I think those buildings have been renamed. The hat shell by the Charles. The science museum. Ha-vaad square.

5. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Many thanks

I'm looking forward to this trip - many thanks to all.

6. frigidlight

frigidlight New to Mu-43

Jul 26, 2011
    SE MA
    There will always be something interesting going on in Harvard Square people wise...lots of fun street scenes there and in the surrounding area. Also, if you're in Cambridge, walk along the river and some of the bridges (especially the BU bridge) for a good view of the river and the iconic skyscrapers and buildings along the river (citgo sign)...dusk or nighttime/sunset is an excellent time to do this. The mass ave bridge will let you look back to the west towards the same scene and might be good at sunset if that's your thing.

7. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Bob,

We used Boston Photo Walks. The owners name is Saba, she was wonderful!

The rest of the folks would vouch for this I feel quite sure.

I'd say for those of us that attended, she was great. My wife and daughter as well as several other, not so accomplished photographers, got lots of attention and hands on suggestions.

Here's a link: Boston Photo Walking Tours, Guided Sightseeing Tour of Historic Boston, MA

Cheers, Alan