1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Boston member meetup? Wildlife opportunity?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Amin Sabet, May 14, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    WT21 (Bill) and I were just PMing about doing a meetup in the Boston area. Since we both just got 100-300mm lenses, we were thinking of looking for a place that has wildlife. I'm sure we have members in or close to Boston that don't have super long lenses, so ideally we will find a place with opportunities for a bit of wildlife and also more general photography.

Anyone in the area interested in a local member meetup? Know a good place?

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Just thought of one! -- Broadmoor Audubon reservation. There's also a birding place in Sudbury.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Another interesting nature setting is Noanet Woods. Little bit more dense woods, though. Maybe fewer photo ops. Nice walk though :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Bump

5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks Bill .. You guys are most welcome here in OZ.. We have plenty of wildlife here ..
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    How about it Amin? Care for a quick overnight to OZ, lol.

Bhupinder, it might not work for me at present, but if you ever get up here (Boston area), drop a note.

7. Bhupinder2002

Ok..I am gonna start now .Wait for me please , we will have breakfast together ..hahaaa
    Anyway we should have one World MFT meet and greet even somewhere in the middle..say London?
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    London for the wildlife? I believe there is literally quite a lot there, though of the species homo sapiens :)

Let's skip this summer, though, it's a bit crowded from what I hear!

I used to travel to the UK quite a lot, but stopped cold around 2007. I miss travel, though not traveling (i.e. the airport process).

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bhupinder2002

Hahahh
    I am planning a trip to USA next year .. Will see if I could visit Boston .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

10. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I'd be up for meeting. If the north shore is possible for people, the Plum Island Wildlife Refuge in Newburyport (I guess it's actually mostly in Newbury) is nice. Lots of dunes and salt marsh. There's an Audubon center on the way out to the island.

Oh, if you're not familiar with it, it is accessible car. There's a bridge.

Fred

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Just don't go when the greenheads are out! It was a like a zombie movie or Hitchcock's the Birds. We went out there in like July (?) and our windshield was swarmed with greenheads, bumping on the glass, trying to get in to eat us!

12. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The Plum Island separatist movement back in the early 80's adopted the mosquito as the national bird.

Fred

13. DaveL

DaveL Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Rhode Island
    I'm game for a Boston area meetup. Whatever "wildlife" you decide......
    OM D FINALLY arriving this week, so timing is good.

14. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I left E. Boston 20 years, but at that time skunks roamed the streets of that part of the city -- coming from the abandoned shipbuilding facilities was my theory. Anyway, in October, when they were especially plentiful, it could be hard getting my dog home from a night time walk without a skunk encounter. Just an idea!

15. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Better late than never. Internet policy at the office has changed (hah!), thus the now-once-a-day visit to this forum. Almost missed this thread!!!

Would be very interested in a meetup, though I don't have a long lens. Anyone attending who has an extra copy? :biggrin: Longest lens I have is up to 200, for a Rebel XSi. Push comes to shove I just might use that with an adaptor. :smile:

16. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    You can use my 40-150, which isn't super long though

• Like Like x 1
  17. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I'm with you Hyubie, no long lens work for me. I'll probably stick to close-up.

Fred

18. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
  19. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  20. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran