Boston at Night?

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Hi, I will be near Boston this week, will only have time for sightseeing at night...
Any recommendations?

Is the SoWa district active on weeknights in November?
Any of the old churches open at night?

Is it hard to find parking in the city this time of year? I was there in July over 10 years ago and it was impossible.
Should I take the subway instead of driving? I'm staying around Burlington.

Thanks!

WT21

Super Moderator
You can find parking very easily. It's just not affordable. Any garage has parking weekday evening. Try Post Office Square or 75 State Street garage (to be in the heart of the city). North end, waterfront, greenway, fanuel hall, boston public gardens are all good photo opps. Also Beacon Hill neighborhoods. If there's a Bruins game, get some pics of the crowds headed to Boston Garden (just don't get your teeth bashed in). Probably the same for a celtics game, but I'm more a bruins person. I find the crowd very interesting.

I work in Cambridge, but while I find it safe, I don't find it interesting. But I'm old. Maybe it's more interesting for the young set.

If you are OK spending the cash, I would recommend Uber into the city. I don't know the public transit options from Burlington, but generally the MBTA (the train that goes to the suburbs) is pretty infrequent in the evening, and frankly is not that cheap, and driving into boston on a weekday evening is reverse commute, so it's not too bad.

Last edited:

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
The views along and especially from across the Charles are quite nice at night. Thanks to the time change, you’ll need to be in town before 4:30 pm to get much chance at golden light. Old standbys like Boston Common, North End and Boston’s very compact Chinatown can yield pix. Walking along the Rose Kennedy Greenway can be fruitful, as well. If you keep the camera bling discreet and stay where the crowds are you should be safe. Common sense, above all.

I favor the Boston Common garage. Closer to the theater district and the Pike is the Massachusetts Transportation building. Street parking is purely a matter of luck and can’t be counted on.

Boston is a fun town. Enjoy.

Jeffcs

Mu-43 All-Pro
I’ll be in Boston tomorrow day time planning on the market place and Kennedy museum hope time permitting the first church Paul Rever house

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Thanks for everyone's advice... wound up going to Faneuil Hall Marketplace with some other conference attendees; had dinner and walked around a bit... Surprising amount of neon signs in that area (and not just the temporary GLOW exhibit).

Also had time to drive around the city yesterday afternoon before heading to the airport, and even found a parking space near the Old North Church. Weather was terribly gloomy yesterday due to the impending storm, but I did get a few decent photos which I've now posted in various threads.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom