1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Bosque del Apache

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by LDraper, Jan 26, 2012.

1. LDraper

LDraper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    I wanted to post these pics before they get too outdated! Just before New Year's I went to the Bosque del Apache wildlife refuge south of Soccoro, New Mexico (about 100 miles south of Albuquerque). Every winter thousands of sand hill cranes, snow geese, canadian geese and great blue herons winter over along the Rio Grande. They're a characteristic part of winter in Central New Mexico and every fall we wait to hear the sound of the cranes flying over to their winter home. The refuge is pretty amazing - thousands of birds in one place. The real drama comes at sundown when they all fly from where they've been feeding and find a spot in the ponds to spend the night. As the sun goes down the birds arrive en masse.

Needless to say there are almost as many photographers there too! Many of whom have huge telephoto rigs (mostly Canon it seems). I was there with my humble 4/3 set up - EPL1/Epm1 with a 40-150 and other lenses. Im mostly interested in landscape, so that lens worked well for getting me some "color" from the birds, but mostly trying to capture the feel of the place. I hope these few shots convey something of the setting - its a really cool experience. The snow on the hills was a bonus too!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 12
  2. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    great pics! and great to see Bosque del Apache. I actually went to university at New Mexico Tech in Socorro, though that was a few years back (like 30 years, actually)

3. LDraper

LDraper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Glad to take you back in time! The snow on the mountains was a real treat. This storm was strange since it hit harder in the south - we had only a dusting in Albuquerque and weren't expecting the snow until we got there. A lot of the ponds were frozen, too, so the birds had limited open water to spend the night.

Thanks for looking.

4. Ralser

Ralser Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2011
    Nice photos. Makes me want to go back. We used to live in Socorro, and I taught part time at NMT.

Steve

GH2, 14-42, 20, zuiko 50 f1.8

5. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    Hey, I went to Tech also around that time! More correctly, I was enrolled in a few classes but mostly majored in partying. :smile:
    Was in Socorro from 75-80. Dang, now I want an Owl green chili cheeseburger. :biggrin:

6. avidone

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    Rich I was there just after you, I guess-- June 1980-Dec 1983... I still miss those Owl Bar green chile cheeseburgers too! Hell, from here in Italy I miss ANYthing with green chile

7. avidone

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    BTW, pretty freaky that (at least) this many people in this forum have some connection to Socorro, NM (population around 8000 at any given time)...

8. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    We overlapped just a bit, I was in Albuquerque the first half of 80 but then moved back to Socorro the second half. Worked graveyard at the Circle K and DJ'd at the local radio station, KSRC. [Booming radio voice] KSRC, AM 1290, YOUR 1000 WATT VOICE OF THE CENTRAL RIO GRANDE VALLEY! [\Booming radio voice] :biggrin:
    Used to go down to the Ratskeller and see Uncle Dave's band every week. Only band I know of fronted by a guy who had a cover article in Scientific American. Good times. :smile:

9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am down in Roswell. The cranes and geese fly through here too. In fact there is a wetland preserve just outside of town. I need to make the time and go out there and shoot some pics.

10. Ralser

Ralser Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2011
    We're a it more recent - 92 to 04. I still miss the mountains and space.

GH2, 14-42, 20, zuiko 50 f1.8

11. Incredible shots! Thanks for sharing

12. avidone

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    who knows... maybe I bought something from you at the Circle ***K (delicately avoiding writing what we called the place back then)

strangely that was my DJ period as well, but only on KTEK, broadcast (narrow-cast?) live over cable from South Hall

would not have been in the Rat Cellar at age 19... I had been of legal drinking age in Alabama and Georgia, but lost that status coming to NM.. and since I LOOKED about 15 at the time, it was useless to try fake ID's

13. avidone

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    and BTW, my contention has always been that one of the ways NMIMT quietly and discretely built up such a strong academic reputation, with excellent scientists at this small, remote, public university in a poor state, was by a careful practice of hiring the oppressed...at bargain salaries, I imagine:

blacklisted lefties from the McCarthy era, including Manhattan Project leftovers
    Hungarian dissidents late 50's
    a few Black Sheep from prominent East Coast families
    then an assortment of escapees from behind the Iron Curtain in the 60's and 70's
    as well as various Asian scientists who would face more discrimination elsewhere

Like more than half of the undergrad population, I had a work/study job in a research lab (atmospheric sciences in this case). I still remember my boss, Ben Seely, introducing me to his old colleague Bernard Vonnegut... afterwards he told me "yeah, Bernie is the guy who came up with the whole idea of seeding clouds with silver iodide... he has a little brother who writes or something"

14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Good job of making winter browns look pleasant :smile:

15. chalkdust

chalkdust Mu-43 Regular

Dec 29, 2009
    McKinney, Texas
    great pictures. I am another NMT graduate, as is my wife and father. 70 - 75 were my years. Wow, what memories these pictures evoke.