BorrowLenses used equipment sale

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
All the bad reports I read were for lens rentals. I didn’t see anything related to purchases. Hopefully all will be fine.
That's true. But if the shady stuff alleged in some of the reviews about rentals is true it wouldn't make me feel great about buying from them. On the other hand, we're only reading one side of the story there.

DynaSport

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dan
That's true. But if the shady stuff alleged in some of the reviews about rentals is true it wouldn't make me feel great about buying from them. On the other hand, we're only reading one side of the story there.
True. I’m just trying to make myself feel better. I ordered a lens before I read the reviews. Hoping for the best.

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John

Speedliner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rob
Thanks for this. I grabbed a MMF-2 and a MMF-3. Now my most popular 4/3 lenses will have dedicated adapters. Wasn’t worthwhile at the usual prices.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I wonder if they are getting out of the 4/3 rental market. The prices are surely low.
They're selling equipment from all the brands, so I'd guess this is just an adjustment/ turnover of their inventory. As for the prices they are pretty low but you've got to figure that this equipment has (presumably) already paid for itself in rental fees and has been fully depreciated, so maybe they would rather blow it out rather quickly rather than mess around to try to extract the last bit of potential value.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
Last night I was thinking about this after I made my first comment about being to broke to buy that 300/2.8. My concern with buying from them is the same one I have with buying a used rental car, which I would never do because people tend to not treat rental things as well as their own stuff. I feel there is a huge difference between buying a used lens from a person who owned and used the lens and from a rental company. I also count on people not being as abusive to their gear as I am when buying used :biggrin:

Real Name
Ian
Last night I was thinking about this after I made my first comment about being to broke to buy that 300/2.8. My concern with buying from them is the same one have I with buying a used rental car, which I would never do because people tend to not treat rental things as well as their own stuff. I feel there is a huge difference between buying a used lens from a person who owned and used the lens and from a rental company. I also count on people not being as abusive to their gear as I am when buying used :biggrin:
Yep, I generally don’t have much concern when buying privately owned camera equipment. However, rental equipment is far different, because in theory it sees far more use.

The rental car example is great. I don’t have much concern when buying a used car from someone, because it was theirs and they likely too care of it (although I always check with an independent pre-purchase inspection). But a rental car is an entirely different story, used-and-abused far more than typical car.

I’ve got no problem buying used from private parties, but would not buy used from a rental company because of the additional and and likely abuse those products have endured.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
But a rental car is an entirely different story, used-and-abused far more than typical car.
Everytime I have ever rented a car, I treat it better than my own because I don't want to get surprise fees. Plus I would presume it has had all the scheduled maintenance done, which is also something I will admit to being less careful about on my own cars.

I would do the same for an expensive lens that obviously cost more than I was willing to pay (or I would have bought instead of rent)

The biggest risk to me would be all the times it has passed through FedEx back and forth to customers.

Real Name
Ian
Everytime I have ever rented a car, I treat it better than my own because I don't want to get surprise fees. Plus I would presume it has had all the scheduled maintenance done, which is also something I will admit to being less careful about on my own cars.

I would do the same for an expensive lens that obviously cost more than I was willing to pay (or I would have bought instead of rent)

The biggest risk to me would be all the times it has passed through FedEx back and forth to customers.
I can 100% without-a-doubt tell you that the cars do not have all of the preventative maintence done on-time (if at all). A relative of mine was a manager for one of the nation-wide car-rental services, and said there is a 0% chance he would buy a car from a rental company because of how customers treated the cars, and the maintenance schedule of them.

What percentage of the total mileage of a given rental car do you spend driving it? My guess would be an exceedingly low percentage. So just because you treat them one way, doesn’t mean the 99.9% of the other miles put on the car we’re done so in a similar fashion.

tkbslc

Super Moderator
What percentage of the total mileage of a given rental car do you spend driving it? My guess would be an exceedingly low percentage. So just because you treat them one way, doesn’t mean the 99.9% of the other miles put on the car we’re done so in a similar fashion.
I was assuming I'm not that rare, not that my own driving had any impact. My friends and family aren't careless jerks either. But I'll defer to your friend's insider knowledge.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I was assuming I'm not that rare, not that my own driving had any impact. My friends and family aren't careless jerks either. But I'll defer to your friend's insider knowledge.
I lean more toward @tkbslc in the way I drive rental cars these days. But in my younger, careless jerk days I do recall pulling a few neutral drops to squeal the tires.

Real Name
Ian
Don't get me wrong, I'm on your side with regards to treating a rental car (or rental camera equipment). But based on what my family member had seen over years of working in that field, they said that we are by far the minority. Spills, stains, dents/dings, scratches from customers, not taking rental cars in for recalls, lack of PM, etc.

I lean more toward @tkbslc in the way I drive rental cars these days. But in my younger, careless jerk days I do recall pulling a few neutral drops to squeal the tires.
You do a few here, the next guy does a few there. Over the course of 30,000 miles, the drivetrain will have seen far more abuse than a normal, privately owned vehicle.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
Don't get me wrong, I'm on your side with regards to treating a rental car (or rental camera equipment). But based on what my family member had seen over years of working in that field, they said that we are by far the minority. Spills, stains, dents/dings, scratches from customers, not taking rental cars in for recalls, lack of PM, etc.

You do a few here, the next guy does a few there. Over the course of 30,000 miles, the drivetrain will have seen far more abuse than a normal, privately owned vehicle.
when I rent a car I take the extra insurance and drive the living shit out of it.............speed bump? what speed bump.............................. always loved renting the Jeeps when I was in Hawaii, so much fun to be had.

NWright

Mu-43 Veteran
For what it's worth I've rented through Borrow Lenses 4 times in the past two years with great experiences each time. I live close to their East Coast based office and use the "pickup for free" shipping options.

Rentals Include:
EM5 Mk1, MMF-3 & 50-200 SWD
PL 15mm F1.7
Sigma 50 - 100 F1.8 (Nikon)
Nikon D7200

All items were in good [no optical issues with cosmetic signs of use] to great [no optical or noticeable cosmetic issues] condition upon rental.

To those above who bought the equipment, let us know how your purchases turned out [I'm really close to pulling the trigger on the 85mm F1.4 Sigma EX (Nikon)]!

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Man... the ZD 12-60 SWD for only $142 after 20% code is just stupid cheap. That was at one time around a $1k lens. If I didn't already have one, I would surely buy this one.

Likewise that Panasonic 25/1.4 for 4/3rds used to be a very sought after lens due to lack of primes on 4/3rds and that one being a "normal" focal length with excellent optical IQ.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom