BOOM! SONY to become biggest shareholder in Olympus

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by cpt000, Sep 26, 2012.

1. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

“two turkeys do not make an eagle.”
    OUCH!

$79 million profit out of $19.2 billion in sales is really pathetic.

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Everyone is posting this as news like it has already happened. The TechCrunch title is a good example. I'm confident it will happen, but given how many sites posted the same sort of thing when there were rumors about other companies doing this with Olympus, I think they ought to show a bit more restraint.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

Well said, Amin.

I think it was someone at Reuters who jumped the gun and published before the deal was done. Given that they have been in exclusive negotiations for about three weeks, it is a fair bet that Sony will be Olympus's chosen investor, but the deal hasn't been signed yet.

Even $642 million will only buy 10% of Olympus so it isn't as though Sony will have a controlling interest.

4. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Bet someone from Sony or Olympus (or both - more likely) let this slip out so they could see how the markets react.

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Anyone who expects well researched, factual articles from TechCrunch is living in a fantasy world. Their game is to be first, not to be factual. How many eyeballs do you think they got from running this story, now, the way they did?

And how many do you think they would have gotten if they headlined it "Sony considering investment in Olympus. Might purchase up to 10% of stock."?

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm not only reacting to TechCrunch, and this has nothing to do with well researched. It's a very simple fact to know whether something has happened yet or not, and it's shameful that so many popular sites misrepresent the most basic of facts. For quite a few days now I've been seeing the same story over and over from all different sites, and I keep following the link to see if it actually happened yet or not. The chance to be first was weeks ago. Now is the chance to be right.

7. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    It's been more than days, hasn't it? I recall this story floating weeks ago it seemed. Every link I followed just went back to "in talks" and no hard "done deal." And I mean similar headlines of "sony invests in oly" not just rumors

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Could well have been weeks. Too long!

9. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I think it's pretty official. Here's the news from the WSJ as of this morning. Nothing new, just reconfirming everything the sites have been saying for months. Press conference from Sony Olympus on Monday.

Olympus, Sony Tie Up - WSJ.com