BOOM! Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 reviewed!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by MrKal_El, May 20, 2012.

1. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    • Like Like x 8
  2. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    :eek: It seems I need this lens. NOW!!! :biggrin:

(BTW, thanks for the link!)

3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    mmmm...tasty

4. PointZero

PointZero Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2011
    California
    The lens that we all want and need. The sample images are beautiful.
    It's unfortunate that the starting price for this lens puts it out of reach for a large majority of us. I think it costs more than the sum of my m43 body and all four lenses I own. @.@

5. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Hmm, 1100EUR, i presume it'll be $1100 in the US... Quite steep. If it comes in under $1000 that'll be nice.

Ironic that I just ordered a 6-stop ND filter in 52mm and this accepts 58mm. :D

6. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Now waiting the price announced....

7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Guys, it's a constant zoom, high IQ lens.

Don't gripe about the price, save up. Better to have expensive options than no option at all. I wish the close focus was a little better, but looks like it will be doable for most flower shots.

I wonder when they are going to hit stores? I'm going to be in Asia in a couple weeks!

8. BlairMacKay

BlairMacKay Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta
    It's weather-sealed, so I assume the GH3 will also be weather-sealed...

Looks like a winner!!

9. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Whoa... nice. And I see why it costs over $1,000 (probably) :wink: Heh- does that lens hood come with it? Weather sealed too... although I have E-M5, and will continue to do so- I'm re REALLY excited to see what the G5 + GH3 are going to be like.

Olympus should stick to the primes, and Panasonic to the zooms?

10. OdzBodkinz

OdzBodkinz Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2011
    Power OIS switch too. Nice option for old PEN users.

11. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    When compared to a lens like the Canon 24-70, not bad value at all. So much smaller too, and with IS.

12. marz

marz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2011
    Pyrenees, France
    Marcel
    This is fantastic news, I want one.

Donna Summer would have sung: I feel love...

13. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    How is it possible to have the highest resolution in the center at f/8 with the 16mp m43 sensor?! Diffraction should noticeably affect even f/5.6 already so that it should be lower res than at f/4 in the center... and f/8 must be significantly lower and definitely not the highest as they "measured".

Fishy.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Totally agree! I would not balk at $1100 for a 12-35mm f/2.8 on any DSLR system... even a 24-70mm f/2.8 Full Frame (which ranges from $1800 for a Nikon to $2500 for a Canon). I especially wouldn't balk at getting this lens on a system which offers the uniquely compact size of the Micro Four-Thirds system, with the expectation that this lens will match the sharp optical quality which Micro Four-Thirds is known for.

Fact is, not every lens is geared towards every user. This lens is geared towards users with a certain type of need and is perfectly in line (in fact, well under the line) with what the market has dictated that those users will pay for such a lens. That doesn't mean that everybody will want to buy it, or that it should be made at a price point that everybody can afford.

There are professional photographers as well as enthusiasts who are used to higher-end gear, and are using the Micro Four-Thirds system. Some (including myself) have even switched completely to this system from a DSLR system for our living, and require these lenses to be made available. Others are planning such a switch should such lens options become available, while others still just want to expand their second system... and many of those would be likely to make a more complete switch if the lenses were available to them to not just complement but to fully mirror the capabilities of their DSLRs, considering the advantage in size, form, and versatility.

In short, a market certainly exists for lenses such as this, and we need to acknowledge that market if we want such gear to continue being made. Bodies like the OM-D help to support these needs, and so do lenses like the Lumix X 12-35mm/2.8 and the Lumix X 35-100mm/2.8. The m.Zuiko 75mm/1.8 should have been an f/1.4 though... just sayin'. :cool:

Anyways, I am really surprised and elated that Panasonic chose to make these lenses weather sealed! I honestly hadn't expected that, as Panasonic simply doesn't have the weather sealing history that Olympus does. This will obviously make it an ideal companion to the OM-D, but is also likely to herald new weather sealed Panasonic bodies as well. Good news all around! :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  15. allenrowand

allenrowand Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Allen Rowand
    I did NOT need to see this. I'm not even done paying for the E-M5 yet…

• Like Like x 2
  16. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    This is a great news!
    Must save for this lens. :)

17. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm interested, but annoyed at the idea of shelling out $ for the OIS. I wonder what part of the price the OIS can take for a given lens.

Anyway, a much welcomed option, this lens could make my pana 14 deprecated!

18. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA

nuffin to see here...

• Like Like x 3
  19. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Soooo if I'm not mistaken, this lens isn't noticeably bigger than the Pana 14-42. Now that is awesome. I don't think I'd buy it over the 14-54 II now that I know about that lens and have a copy, but man this looks amazing. The price is steep but competitive with mainstream SLR lenses that don't perform as nicely, I believe.

Dear other mirrorless systems: Yes, I mean you NEX. Take your thousand dollar Zeiss primes and shove em :)

20. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Now show me the 35-100!

• Like Like x 3