1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Books on using Aperture 3.X

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by sooper, Jun 29, 2013.

1. sooper

sooper Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2012
    Just purchased Aperture and besides from adjusting a few sliders, I don't really know how to use it!

Wondering if there are any good books for using Aperture 3.X or possibly a book on photography that includes tips on how to use Aperture to achieve certain things?

Thanks!

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
  3. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Dion Scoppettuolo's book "Aperture 3" is quite good and comes with a DVD which includes files for the examples in the book so you can follow through on the book examples step by step if you wish. It's part of the "Apple Pro Training Series" if that means anything to you.

Peachpit Press also publish an Aperture 3 training DVD which I bought but gave to a friend when I moved to Lightroom so I can't give you the exact name. I found it quite useful also.

4. BobbyD

BobbyD Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Yes, Dion Scoppettuolo's book is a very good one to use. When I first got Aperture I bought the book and used the included DVD and files that came with the book to learn Aperture. If you only get one book get this one, it's the Aperture Bible. I still go back and read a chapter now and then when I forget something I've not used in a while.

5. YantaYo

YantaYo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Another vote for the Aperture 3 Don Scoppettuolo book. Keep in mind there have been numerous changes in the 3.x lineage that the book would not reflect. I also have the Aperture 3 Portable Genius and Apple Aperture 3 A Workflow Guide for Digital Photographers.

6. protapic

protapic Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    John
    Lynda.com has a few video tutorials on Aperture that I found very useful. You must have an account however (I have access through work). I also found the Kindle book "Apple Pro Training Series: Aperture 3" by Dion Scoppettuolo helpful to get started.