Book or online Site for using Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Betinski, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Betinski

Betinski Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2012
    Hello. Is there a book or online guide that will help with the initial setup and menu items for this camera? I find the given user guide somewhat difficult to understand. Thank you.

2. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    There should be books. There are many for the other OM-Ds.

Tony Northrup has a nice training video on the mk2 that's very thorough from basics to advanced.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Spotted this book the other day. It's not available until the end of September and no nothing about it's authors or publisher, but at over 500 pages, it seems like it's likely to be comprehensive.

4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have this book pre-ordered through Amazon.

I have this Kindle book by David Thorpe, I confess that I haven't looked at it yet:

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-E-M5I...id=1435072080&sr=1-4&keywords=Olympus+E-M5+ii

This book is on Amazon, it received one poor review:

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-E-M5-...id=1435072024&sr=1-3&keywords=Olympus+E-M5+ii

5. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I recently bought Darrell Young's book for the E-M1. I bought David Busch's E-M1 book when it was first released and was deeply disappointed because it was riddled with errors including screen photos of the SCP which were made on other Olympus cameras and didn't match the actual SCP on the E-M1. Much of the book seemed to be a cut and paste from earlier books about different cameras with poor to non-existent proof reading to make the necessary corrections. Young's book on the E-M1 exhibits none of those problems and is definitely the book I wanted so I would expect the same from his E-M5 Mark II book.

I will warn you, however, that you will not get what many books related to cameras provide along the way which is advice on how to do photography as well as how to use the camera. The E-M1 book is a tour de force run through all of the camera settings and controls. You get what each setting does, how to use it, and recommendations on which setting is best for a particular purpose. There is a separate chapter for each of the different menus plus one for the SCP so there is a bit of duplication but if you want to understand just what all of the options with the camera are, and get far better explanations than what is provided in the bare bones manuals that Olympus provides, I can't think of a better guide. I've been using my E-M1 for 9 months now and I only got Young's book a few weeks ago. Even after more than 6 months of use I still had some questions and I found the answers to all of them quickly and easily. Good, clear explanatory text and a very exhaustive index make the E-M1 book a really valuable reference. I'd expect you the E-M5 mark 11 book to be the same.

So if you want what is essentially a highly detailed manual for the camera I'd definitely give that book a go. If you want a book which also tells you how to do photography by giving you chapters on things like how to expose correctly and what lenses to use, then this will definitely not be the book you want.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Betinski

Betinski Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2012
    Thank you all for your responses. I just pre ordered Darrell Young's book…. a highly detailed manual is just what I am looking for.
    Now it's time to see what I can do on my own!
    Best,
    Jill

7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Here's another E-M5ii eBook that I came across today from Gary Friedman. The circa-1998 web design doesn't fill me with confidence regarding the design/layout of the book, but it might be worth a look. He offers a 2-week money back guarantee, so it might be worth checking out.

8. Betinski

Betinski Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2012
    Thanks DeeJayk. I'll research Gary Friedman a bit and then decide.

9. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Personally I think these sort of books are a waste of time and money. A couple of afternoons with a coffee and some well-charged batteries will be much more likely to get the message home!

10. Pixelpated

Pixelpated Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 29, 2015
    Midwest
    I have been a lurker here and thought this is as good a place and time to jump in...

I have purchased two E-M5ii books: the Gary Friedman and David Thorpe books. I was looking for thorough, but interesting coverage. Friedman appeared to provide the interest with over 400 pages and pictures. Thorpe got my money simply because I love his videos and blog. That man certainly can turn a phrase.

I was concerned about the Friedman manual based on the website, also, but took the plunge anyway.
    (The site has good content, but really needs to be put on a modern platform. The black and neon makes my head spin.)

Here is my feedback on both books.

I am delighted with Gary Friedman's book; it far exceeds my expectations. I was gripped at the introductory chapter where he describes all the features of the camera and then completely covers what it will do for you and why you should care. He then leaves breadcrumbs to more exhaustive coverage deeper in the book. If you are a beginning photographer, new to Olympus and IBIS or just new to the e-M5ii, this book is the ticket. If you needed confirmation that you have made a wise decision with the purchase of this camera, you will get that, too.

The Thorpe book is a more clinical description of menus and settings. To be fair, that's exactly what the title suggests: The Olympus E-M5II Menu System Simplified. It is a far better treatment than the camera manual and the author offers menu options, suggestions with rational and his settings.

These two books complement each other. One is for quick reference and the other for deep understanding. I am not disappointed with either for beginning my Olympus journey and I am genuinely grateful these authors took the time to publish the much needed references.

It is nice that you know you are a kinesthetic learner and recognize that coffee and time hands on is what does it for you. Everyone else does not learn in the same manner. I am very visual and learn best with books, videos and demonstrations. I hope to encourage anyone learning the ins and outs of their camera on the way to becoming "one" with their equipment, to choose the resources that punch their buttons. (But, I see that you did qualify your declaration with "personally".)

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Thank you for the feedback on Gary Friedman's book. I, too, was a bit put off by his website and did not order it as a result. I will do so now.

12. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I received Mastering the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II by Darrell Young & James Johnson last week. It is a very good and comprehensive book and it will be my resource for this camera. Highly recommended.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I have his EM1 book and find that it is far better than the manual. It provides much more explanation and provides tips and recommendations for making particular choices with context for the situation and the desired results. I'm sure you're finding the same with the EM5 II book. The description of Busch's book didn't impress me, although his EM5 book seemed to get favorable reviews. Maybe it was the only one available at the time.

Darrell Young also hosts a page on FB titled Master Your Olympus. It's worth looking for it as he updates it with news about the book and additional tips. I got his book as a hardcopy and the ebook version too so I could load it onto my iPad mini and take along with me.

• Like Like x 1
  14. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    Here is another good video, but you will definitely need to pause, rewind and review a number of times to catch everything reviewed due to the pace at which the information is provided.

15. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2011
    I don't know if you can still buy it but I bought the John Grengo Creative Live program for the EM5 MKII. It is extensive but is broken into 10-15 minute segments so that you can watch in little pieces or go to a particular section. It cost $20 and is well worth that. The PDF that goes with it has an entire page with his recommended menu settings and a blank one to record your own settings.

• Like Like x 1
  16. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    The Young/Johnson book is the best single camera book I've ever had. I wish books this good had been around my whole time in the hobby.

• Like Like x 1
  17. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Digging up an old topic to ask if anyone has the ebook (either Kindle or Nook) of Darrell Young's E-M5ii guide. Sounds like a good book and I usually buy the ebook, but sometimes they don't have all the photos used for examples, or they cram them in at the end of the book where they aren't really useful. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect?

Update - the nook sample looks like it has the photos scattered throughout in the "proper" places, so I went ahead and bought it. I'll give an update once I've read some of it.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  18. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Check this out while you're waiting.

• Like Like x 1
  19. catmurphy

catmurphy Mu-43 Regular

Sep 1, 2013
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Cathy
    Working my way through Gary Friedman's book. It is proving to be an excellent reference for a complicated camera. I have purchased his e-books for other cameras and have been pleased.

20. kitsap2

kitsap2 New to Mu-43

Nov 29, 2013
    Seattle
    Thomas
    I have Darrell Young's, Mastering the Olympus OM-D E-M5 II, and I find it crucial to learning my continuing use of this fantastic camera.