1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Book for GX-1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by billgreen, Apr 12, 2012.

1. billgreen

billgreen Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 4, 2012
    Herradura de Rivas, Costa Rica
    Bill Green
    Anyone know of a book for the GX-1? I've been searching and can fond nothing. Seems odd. Amazon doesn't even list a "yet to be released" for the GX-1. I just got the camera and as typical, the printed manual is pretty lame.

2. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    It's a fairly (very?) recent model and isn't exactly the most popular camera in terms of sales. If I'm a publisher, I'm going to put out books on how to use the Canon T3i or Nikon D5100 before most of these relatively niche market CSCs. Self-published ebooks maybe, but not a big physical publication run for one of these (though I could see one for the NEX as they feel like they have more of a coherent media and marketing presence).

TBH, I would not, nor have I ever expected their to be books based specifically on any of the reasonably obscure equipment I shoot with.

3. billgreen

Apr 4, 2012
    Bill Green
    There are books for the GF-1. I see little difference.

4. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Cult camera, one of the first of the generation, lots of buzz, and the book was published almost a year after the GF1 was released. Lots more competition for the GX1 today.

There was a book for the GF1, the E-P1, then nothing since for any of the numerous other models (or even competitors like the NEX). Publishers learning there is little ROI perhaps?

If I'm a publisher, I go for a bigger potential market is all I'm saying.
    - How many GX1's will be sold? (A few hundred thousand perhaps)
    - How many GX1 purchasers will want a third-party physical operations guide? (Generally a very small percentage of total purchasers)
    - What are my costs to produce and distribute a book to that specific target market? (These are pretty much fixed costs for a writer, printing, distribution, etc.)
    - What price point can I reasonably expect to sell it at?
    - How many do I need to sell to make the endeavour worthwhile?
    - Do I think that's possible/realistic?
    - Will I make/lose money on the above?

If you think there's a market, write one. Personally, I don't see the market. Maybe for an ebook (lower production costs), and not so soon after release. I doubt publishers were lining up for advanced pre-production units so that they could write books about the camera... They barely got out to reviewers!

5. billgreen

Apr 4, 2012
    Bill Green
    I'm not arguing the market potential for the book. Simply asked if there was one. Thanks

6. gfspencer

gfspencer Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2011
    North Carolina
    I have both cameras. There is a lot that is the same. There is a lot that is quite a bit of difference. (For example, the GX-1 has touch screen focusing, intelligent auto/intelligent auto plus, and a level meter.)

The CD (or DVD?) that comes with the GX-1 gives you a rather comprehensive manual. Nevertheless, I would still like a book. I don't see one coming any time soon.

7. billgreen

Apr 4, 2012
    Bill Green
    I realize there are significant differences in the 2 cameras. My comment was in response to a post that suggested there wasn't enough market for a book dedicated to the GX-1. My point is that there was a market for a GF-1 book so why not the GX-1.

8. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I hope it's better than the book for the GH2....IMVHO...a waste of money.

Stick to the manual.