Book for GH2?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by mgrmgr, May 17, 2011.

1. mgrmgr

mgrmgr Mu-43 Rookie

May 14, 2011
    The user manual for my just-arrived GH2 is all but useless.

In a different thread, someone recommended David Busch's Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Guide to Digital Photography, but obviously it's not for the GH2. Is there anything equivalent for the GH2? If not, how useful would this book be for understanding the deeper entrails of what the various shooting modes do and some of the finer points for video shooting on the Gh2?

Hmm...there reeeeally should be a college course! Michael{R}
  2. digitaldan1

digitaldan1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    David Busch GF1 Guide

I helped write that book. Unfortunately, I've never shot with the GH2, so I can't offer much advice. I do agree Panasonic's manuals are not very well done (I teach a college level technical writing course and used their manual as an example of what's wrong with this kind of thing).

In my experience, camera manufacturers tend to follow a basic philosophy when designing their cameras. For instance, I helped write the David Busch guide to the Olympus E-P2 and am currently working on one for the E-5. There are a lot of similarities between the two cameras as far as things like art modes and other controls (super control panel) but some significant differences too. (For example, accessing the art modes in the E-P2 and the E-5 follow very different procedures).

Wish I could be more helpful.

• Like Like x 2
  3. mgrmgr

mgrmgr Mu-43 Rookie

May 14, 2011
    It's always nice to have one's difficulties mirrored by an expert. :smile:

I tried finding a link to communicate with David Busch (his "personal" website seems to have no Contact link). I was hoping to ask if he has a GH2 book in the works. Do you have enough access to him to ask? Or do you have authorized info on how I can get an email to him?

Thanks much, Dan. Michael{R}
  4. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

+1 for David's book!

While David's book won't be dead on, many of the features are common to both cameras. I have David's book and consider it a very good investment. It's edges are tattered; to me this is a good indication of a book we keep going back to!

David's book was definitely written as a tutorial, using the camera's features as his lesson plan. Panasonic's approach simply presents the features and assumes the user is knowledgable. I can't quite agree with this approach, but it does seem to be the trend these days.
  5. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    +1 On David's book.

I ordered David's book before the purchase of my first µ43 camera body.

While several people commented on it unfavorably here, I found to be a nice bed stand reference... I agree that the Panasonic manuals leave everything to be desired..

I looked at David's book as being the manual that Panasonic "should have" provided in a more perfect world.

To digitaldan1 who helped in the writing,

"I do agree Panasonic's manuals are not very well done (I teach a college level technical writing course and used their manual as an example of what's wrong with this kind of thing)"

You made my morning...... :biggrin:

Cheers, Alan
  6. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Any ideas?

I do a lot of freelance writing, though not on photography. As a professional writer who teaches technical writing courses, could you offer some suggestions on how these manuals could be improved? Given the ever increasing list of features, I can't imagine how they can be written (better) without increasing the number of pages which is already over 200!

Perhaps more photos? I'm always looking for suggestions that I might be able to use in other writing projects.

Many thanks & much appreciated!
  7. mgrmgr

mgrmgr Mu-43 Rookie

May 14, 2011
    Okay, you guys. Whether it's written specifically for the GH2 or not, it looks as if David's book would be a huge help to someone just getting into serious m43 digital photography.

While I'm pretty good with the extraordinary little shirt-pocket Canon SD870, going from it to a GH2 is like going from kindergarten directly to college.

Off to Amazon... Michael{R}
  8. brunerww

Mar 5, 2011
    Michael -- if it's not too late, you may also want to consider Brian Matsumoto and Carol Roullard's book, The Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2: The Unofficial Quintessential Guide ($19.57 from Amazon).

A lot of the G2 book is directly applicable to the GH2 (there are sections on the EVF and touch screen, for example, which you won't find in a GF1 book).

Hope this is useful,

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    One of our members, Brian Matsumoto, wrote a book about the Panasonic G2 and is in the process of writing a GH2 book.

Link to his G2 book:

<iframe src="" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>
  10. mgrmgr

mgrmgr Mu-43 Rookie

May 14, 2011
    Bill and Amin,

Thanks for the info about the G2 book. I'll check it out. And for letting me know Matsumoto is working on a GH2 book.

11. antifuse

antifuse Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2011
    Damn, I didn't even realize there was a G2 book available... I *hate* my stupid manual. And even better, the Kindle edition is only $10! Sold! :)
  12. benjie

benjie Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    And then there's the GH1, which I've just acquired (camera, not book!). I've just found this:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1: Books

Bit odd. On cover says: "high quality content by wikipedia articles". And it's expensive. Anyone seen it?
  13. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

anyway, you can always drop your questions. We are happy to help you! :)
  14. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Stupid question 2011.....does anyone know when Brian Matsumoto's book on the GH2 is scheduled to be released, i.e. available to the public?

Thank you,
  15. DanGuy48

DanGuy48 Mu-43 Regular

Yes, I have a suggestion. Many of the existing pictures of menus and their paths are fine. The problem is that Panasonic's manual is, at best, a list of controls and sometimes an explanation of their use. But they are just presented as subject categories rather than in any way that makes sense when actually using the camera.

This is more work for the technical writer for sure but the way this should be written, IMHO, is just the way that someone would teach you to use the camera.

E.g. OK, remove the lens cap and turn on the camera with this switch. You look through here to see your scene. If the symbols and letters are not sharp and clear, then you need to adjust it for your eyes using this control. Let's start with the camera in the iA mode on this dial. In this mode, the camera....etc.
  16. DanGuy48

DanGuy48 Mu-43 Regular

Also, I meant to add, that controls should be revealed and explained in terms specific to a problem as things progress. E.g. Look at this picture and notice that only the person in front is in focus. If you want to have them all in focus, you need to do this. I think people catch on much faster when they see how a particular function solves a specific problem, rather than just a dry technical explanation of what's happening in the camera.
  17. kcphotos

kcphotos Mu-43 Rookie

May 9, 2011
    I've had the GH2 for a week now. The two things I would like to see explained more are the focusing methods and movie modes. Some sample sets of custom functions and modes might also be helpful although I'm sure I can find that on the forums.
  18. EOSHD

EOSHD New to Mu-43

Oct 17, 2011
    I have just released a 164 page GH2 book with 12 Chapters. It has a emphasis on video, the hack, lenses and creativity.

The EOSHD Panasonic GH2 Shooter’s Guide |

I believe it to be the most exhaustive GH2 book available. It is a digital download for $29, no need to wait for it in the post or pay postage, and you can read it on your iPad!

19. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    Andrew....I will be buying your book!! I've been waiting for something like this to help me understand my new camera.
  20. mgrmgr

mgrmgr Mu-43 Rookie

May 14, 2011
    Andrew, this is great news. I went to the linked site but their only option is PayPal which I prefer not to use. Is the book available somewhere else that takes AmEx?

Thanks, Michael{R}