1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

bonus time!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by xanaduflipper, May 21, 2011.

1. xanaduflipper

xanaduflipper Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Just heard that I'm getting a bonus at work so am going to treat myself to a pancake lens for my e-PL1.

Should I buy the Panny 20mm or the Oly 17mm?

...please give pros/cons on both

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    IMHO, the FOV is too close here to be a factor, so it's a straight up comparison.

Image quality? 20 by a long shot

Low light? 20 by a long shot

The only factors weighing in for the 17 are cost and availability and if it's bonus money, I would say those aren't really factors.

3. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Ditto, the previous post by tc.

"0" zero disrespect to the nice little Oly 17. The Panny 20 makes µ43 special to me. It's that nice.

Alan

4. xanaduflipper

May 12, 2011
    Kent, UK
    thanks guys, really helpful :)

5. xanaduflipper

May 12, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Just wondered what pros/cons there are between the 14mm and 20mm panny?

6. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    Focal length and angle of view do not share a linear relationship -
    the 3mm difference from 20 -> 17 is noticable, but close enough to be considered broadly similar,
    however the 3mm difference from 17 -> 14mm is considerably greater.

Buy the 14mm lens if you want a wide angle lens. Buy the 20mm if you want a normal one.

I think most people would agree that the 20/1.7 is more versatile than the 14/2.5, but they are both nice lenses.

7. xanaduflipper

May 12, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Thanks Akalya,

So if I went with the Olympus 17mm does that mean its somewhere in the middle of normal/wide?

Sorry to sound so stupid - I'm just learning all this stuff!

8. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Relating some of the more recent posts to the original question, I would ask: do you have or plan to buy at some point the Panny 14mm? If so, get the 20mm now. The 14/20 set is far more useful than the 14/17 would be. Find a good deal on the 45mm at some point and you have the classic 28/40/90 (equiv.) prime set.

Loosely speaking, in terms of how "wide" a lens is, the :43: 17mm is like a 34mm on a full size 35mm film camera. Likewise, as I said, the :43: 14/20/45 is like the 28/40/90 set on 35mm film cameras. There are all kinds of little technical details about what is and is not equivalent about the two, but that's a good way (if you have 35mm experience) to get a rough feel for it.

9. xanaduflipper

May 12, 2011
    Kent, UK
    thank you - I think I understand now!

10. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
  11. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    That's a nice image TC, I wonder how long before some industrious mod makes one with the m4/3 lenses on and stickes it somewhere here :wink: :grin:

12. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Not mine, hoovered off an older post.

13. xanaduflipper

May 12, 2011
    Kent, UK
    OK so I've just found a panny 14mm in an online camera shop in Scotland. Brand new but separated from kit so no box but comes with lens caps and 12 month warranty. £209 Inc p&p...that's about $340 (U.S).

Is that a good deal?!

14. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    £210 for the 14mm is about as cheap as I've seen that lens anywhere, so yes, that sounds a good deal.

I'd still recommend spending a bit more for the 20/1.7 though. You can buy them new for £280 and I've seen them on the 'bay get snapped up at £250.

If I were to only have one prime lens, it would be the 20, not the 14.

You pays your money, you makes your choice.

15. xanaduflipper

May 12, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Thanks (again)...i'm in two minds what to do really. I'm just not sure I'm buying the lens for the sake of having a small enough camera to fit in my bag wherever I go, in which case maybe I should just go back to my little Sony digi-camera and use the Olympus at weekends/holidays...or whether buying the pancake will give me a whole new 'experience' which will make my photos have the wow factor.

Thoughts?

16. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Do you have a local store where you can "try one on"?

IMHO, the size difference between the 14 and 20 is pretty irrelevant. Yes, the 14 is significantly smaller, but not enough to really change how you carry the camera. You still wont be able to stick it in a pants or shirt pocket.

The difference, though, between the pancakes and the "regular" lenses is hugely significant. Now the camera fits nicely in a coat pocket, tucked in a corner of a purse/bag, etc.

Heck, take the lens off and put the cover over the mount on the camera. With the pancake it will be slightly larger than that - is that the size you are needing?

17. xanaduflipper

May 12, 2011
    Kent, UK
    yeah that's the size I'm after so I guess that's answered my question thanks.

Let's just hope they've still got one in stock :)