Bolt TTL Flash @ B&H 7/2/20 only $49.95

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I looked at the Bolt reviews at B&H, and 7 out of 24 reviews were 1 star.

If you wanted a relatively cheap flash, Adorama has been selling its house version (Flashpoint Zoom-mini) of the Gotox TT35O as an 'open box' for a long time now for $59. I bought mine in March of 2019, so it is more of a permanent sale. Adorama will happily sell you the normal, non-open box flash for $85. It is a nice replacement for the FL-36R, and it balances better on my E-m10 mark II than the larger flashes.

The flash only takes 2 AA batteries and is a little less powerful than the Bolt (36m vs. 43m). I have three main flashes now (Flashpoint Zoom-mini, FL-36R, and FL-900). I use the FL-900 when I know I'm going to need a lot of power or if I'm going outside and rain is possible. I tend to use the other two a lot of the time due to the size of the flash.

Note, the flash supports the Gotox/Flashpoint radio system in addition to the optical wireless system Olympus uses. The flash works fine But if you wanted to get into multiple flashes with TTL support, getting a few of these 'open boxes' would allow you to experiment a lot cheaper than the bigger flashes.

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just to be clear, the Godox does not support m43 RC optical remote TTL, only the Godox radio system. It will function as a manual optical slave, however.

The Bolt however does support RC remote TTL.

Both provide TTL when on camera.

I am not endorsing either flash, this post is just a public service. 6 hours left to buy at this point.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Just to be clear, the Godox does not support m43 RC optical remote TTL, only the Godox radio system. It will function as a manual optical slave, however.

The Bolt however does support RC remote TTL.

Both provide TTL when on camera.

I am not endorsing either flash, this post is just a public service. 6 hours left to buy at this point.
Yes, thanks. I thought it didn't support the wireless optical flash mode, but I didn't look it up. I should have mentioned it.

Though in my experience, the off camera support in Olympus is pretty poor because it is line of sight and when shooting outdoors, the flash can't see the commander flash from the camera. The only place where I know the optical wireless flash wins out is for underwater shooting, where you use a fiber optic cable to control the flash without breaking the seal on the camera or flash's case.

If the Bolt didn't have so many negative reviews, it would look like a good deal.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thanks for pointing it out. When I see flash deals I get excited. Then I have to stop myself.
Do I really need another flash? No.
Do I even use the ones I have that much? No.
And when I do use them am I mostly using them off camera with a basic radio trigger and no ttl? Yes.
OK step away! NOW!!!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom