Bolt on verus built for..

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Will Karstens, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Will Karstens

Will Karstens Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2015
    southern california
    Will Karstens
    Ok, that's perhaps a bit cryptic; but comes from my days of working on Jeep vehicles. That experience has a lot of parallels with Cameras - and the attempt is to by pass some of the painful mistakes.

I have a longing for a fish eye lens. Yet, it defies logic and any proven need or vacancy. Couple that with the status of being very, very new to photography, it makes getting a very singular use type of lens, superfluous.

Then, I saw the DMW-GFC1. I can get it for 112 free shipping via a good deal.

However, working on Jeeps, sometimes things that are 'adapted' do not nearly as good as purpose built, and in fact, turn into something a LOT less.. useful.

Does anyone here have experience with this screw on... filter?

Edit: a link:
    Panasonic DMW-GFC1 - Fisheye Conversion Lens DMW-GFC1 for G Series Cameras

Very curiously,
    William Karstens

2. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    If you want to try fisheye, the Rokinon / Samyang 7.5mm is very good. If it turns out you're not a fisheye type, you can sell it for little loss - a kind of rental fee.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    It depends on what you are after. This is a 120 degrees, the Olympus BCL-9 fixed f8 aperture "toy lens" is a 140, the Rokinon is 180.

The Rokinon is a very sharp lens so I'm sure it's going to be a little better then an adapted lens even a good quality one like this.

Advantages of the adapter are size and price but in this case the difference for both is small. For the adapter double check that you have one of the only two lenses it works with.

A fisheye lens can be very useful for general use after you "defish" the picture converting it back to a "normal" view giving you one of the widest lens you can get. It's manual focus only but with a lens so wide the depth of field is very large making it very easy to focus.

Defishing methods with examples from 7,5mm

Good for astro-photography too (the wide focal length minimize apparent stars movement). And with a 180 you can do planetoids :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    The 9mm bcl is cheaper and possibly smaller and is wider.

Barry

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    The GFC1 is designed to work best with only two lenses, one particular 14-42 zoom and the pancake 14mm. In my opinion, the 7.5mm fisheye is a better value, although you missed the sale earlier this month when it was only $199 USD at bhphoto and amazon.

Yes, it's a specialty lens that you might use for a few weeks when new, and then put away, not to be seen except a few times a year. I do have fun when I use it though.

At least when we buy a lens or a add-on like the GFC1, it does not permanently change the character or feel of the camera, unlike many car mods that I have installed on my cars.

6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Btw, the 9mm is f8 only; if that's an issue the 7.5 (or Oly 8mm) would be much better.

7. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    The Samyang/Bower/Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye is absolutely brilliant. It's built beautifully, reasonably fast at f3.5, has awesome colour rendering and contrast, and - best of all - it is incredibly sharp. I bought my copy as a "toy" to play with now and again and goof around...it turned out to be a very capable and serious part of my kit.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Will Karstens

Will Karstens Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2015
    southern california
    Will Karstens
    This link you put up is.... pretty @#$#ing awesome. I'm going to read it at least a few times.. However, a HUGE thanks! It's pretty cool!

9. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    • Like Like x 1