1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Bokeh Ghosting?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by hoverta, Jul 17, 2015.

1. hoverta

hoverta New to Mu-43

Jul 17, 2015
    Hi all, I just acquired a Olympus 45mm 1.8 lens. I was playing around with it and when I went to look at the photos the other night noticed some weird ghosting of the bokeh balls. Does this look normal or is it something wrong with the lens? The lights that are producing the bokeh balls are pretty far away (probably 100 yards?).

I am attaching two photos where you can see the phenomenon

Thanks for any feedback.

Attached Files:

2. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    Do you have a protective filter on for these shots?

3. hoverta

hoverta New to Mu-43

Jul 17, 2015
    Nope bare lens.

4. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Could there just be two light sources close to one another?

5. hoverta

hoverta New to Mu-43

Jul 17, 2015
    I didn't think that there were two light sources close together. I'll have to take another look tonight when I get home because I did take a shot of the stage (that is the background here) that was in focus.

I played around last night and took some shots of light sources that were out of focus and got similar images but not as prominent. I also switched to the Olympus 40-150 and repeated (granted at different aperture) and got slightly less pronounced effect that was almost not noticeable. Not sure if it was due to the lens difference or aperture difference.

6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    You're not one of these guys who believes in Occam's Razor are you?

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Could the lights have been moving? It seems not all of the bokeh ball lights are doubled, so I would think that there are two lights or the lights are swaying/flashing slightly.

8. hoverta

hoverta New to Mu-43

Jul 17, 2015
    I had to look that up. :)

9. hoverta

hoverta New to Mu-43

Jul 17, 2015
    Hmmm... that might be a possibility. Perhaps from wind? Hadn't thought of that because I don't remember it being windy that day.

10. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Hmm not quite sure...but I'm surprised you didn't notice that someone took a black sharpie to the lens.:bowdown::biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. hoverta

hoverta New to Mu-43

Jul 17, 2015
    Well it was a magical sharpie since the spot it colored seems to follow faces only. :)

12. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Maybe the lights have more than one bright spot due to a reflector or facetted lens.

Sent from my D5803 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    +1 -- any very close shiny surface would provide a second bright spot near a light which would then renders as a close, partially overlapping blur.

14. hoverta

hoverta New to Mu-43

Jul 17, 2015
    I think you are both right. Probably a reflector or something that I didn't see in previous photos. Probably just happened to catch the reflection just right. I did try again with some similar circumstances last night and didn't see the same.

Thanks again for all the help.

15. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Occam's razor FTW!