bokeh comparision

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by squeegee, Apr 22, 2011.

1. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    Just admit it, we all love comparisons :smile:

I was comparing cameras for a friends of mine so I took some photos. Due to another thread on here about DOF and expensive fast lenses.. I decided to post a poll, which picture do you like better? The first or the second ? one is with a m43 the other is not...

2. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    The first is smoother, less distracting. I assume we're comparing the two lenses at different maximum aperture settings?
  3. chezznut

chezznut Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 6, 2010
    I agree first picture looks better.
  4. stevendotwang

stevendotwang Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Steven W
    To me, the first one does look better.. but I think it's more due to the better color rendition... (at least in my opinion)
  5. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    Actually I wasn't really comparing lenses it's two completely different cameras. The other thread, and many other threads have often promoted "razor thing dof". I'm not so sure it's a good thing.

Personally I like the first picture better too, because more is in focus... more and more I'm liking photos with more in focus than less in focus. I don't know, maybe it's a personal preference.

okay maybe it wasn't a good poll, it was my first attempt at setting up a poll. *shrugs*
  6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I have seen many people fall in love with shallow dof so much that they forget it is just one aspect of composition. I have a number of flickr contacts who have fallen prey to shooting wide open all the time. It's like anything else in life. There's a time and a place for it.

I think in your example (in that composition) everything perfectly in focus would have been preferred (imho).
  7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I'd say most viewers' preference would be due to a difference in colour, saturation and contrast rather than unfocussed background ...
    For a better poll try a better pair of pictures, and spend a long time colour/contrast matching them both.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I'd say top picture is more saturated, less detailed and with higher contrasts, with more pleasing greens.

The 2nd picture colors are certainly closer to reality, the softness and shallow DOF looks like a good older MF lens like a Takumar.

Just so you can make fun of me if I'm wrong, I'd bet the top is from a :43: camera, and bottom from an APS-C DSLR.

Am I right ?

9. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Agreed, the first photo has more contrast so, to me anyway, it's more pleasing.
  10. acercanto

acercanto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    SW VA, USA
    First one, to my untrained eye, it has to do with the background being slightly more focused, specifically the flower heads. Also like the color of the first one better.