Boeing Stearman Vintage Aircraft at KDCA

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by john1027, Jun 9, 2010.

1. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    On June 8th, eight 1940s-era Boeing Stearman PT17 biplanes were scheduled to land at Washington National Airport (KDCA). The planes have open two-seat cockpits and were built between 1938 and 1943. They were used primarily to train World War II pilots, and after the war ended were converted to crop-dusters. Their landing was scheduled to publicize the premier of the Smithsonian Museum’s new 3D IMAX film, The Legends of Flight. The event got plenty of publicity, but not exactly how it was planned out.

Unfortunately, one of the eight planes flipped over after touching down probably due to a cross wind, a not so uncommon event in the early days of flight. The pilot and his passenger, a reporter for The Washington Post luckily escaped injury. The crash closed the longest of the two airport’s runways for about two hours, as a crane had to be dispatched to lift the plane from the runway. It was the first time that so many vintage aircraft had been allowed to land at KDCA since the events of 9-11.

The seven undamaged planes were staged in front of the old airport terminal. The historic terminal originally opened for business on June 16, 1941. It has been preserved and is designated as a historic landmark.

Here is a link to The Washington Post reporter’s video account, which includes footage of the approach to the runway and the crash itself.

Dr. Gridlock - NTSB investigating plane crash at DCA

E-P2 & 14-42 & 20mm
    (note: I didn't take the last photo of the plane hanging on a cable; shot with Nikon D90)
    (note: B&W conversions via Silver Efex Pro)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 4
  2. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    Beautiful pics. Thanks.
  3. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    great set there .....look at that bent prop!
  4. Tomo

Tomo Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 24, 2010
    Queensland - Australia
    Fantastic photo's of a great aircraft John. :2thumbs:

Bit of a sad story of the one flipping over, but things happen.
  5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

John you've taken some really nice shots with that new camera of yours! Beautiful colors, great exposures... And as much as I do really love those colors, and I do, there's something quite lovely and appropriate about your two black and white versions. Perhaps you'll give us a few more renditions when you have the time. Very nice work - and thank goodness no one was hurt!
  6. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    Thank you all for the kind words. No one was hurt except maybe the pilot's pride. That aircraft costs about $150k and can be repaired as the damage was fairly minor also. Finding the spare parts to do the repair is the hard part.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    My Father learned to fly in one of those. I heard about the accident on the radio.

This Saturday- Udvar Hazy is setting up 50 aircraft outside, should be interesting. I plan on being there.
  8. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Great stuff as always. I have to say tho', the Color belongs to those beauts...
    I love B&W but well....the color is right...
    Thanks for posting and also the video....
  9. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    That should be great, and based on what I seen of your photos, you should have some great images when it is over. The weather is supposed to be fair but hot.
  10. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    Thank for the encouragement, and I am trying. The color on the aircraft was spectacular just like a fine race car. On my computer in Aperture and on SmugMug, they are even more vivid. I always seem to lose some of luster that when I upload here. I need to figure that out at some point.

I was playing with the b&w just to try and put them back in time in front of the historic terminal which hasn't changed since WWII, but you are right, the color rendition is better.
  11. Mosca

Mosca Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2010
    I love them all, but #3 stands out as an exceptional photograph. I mean really striking.
    • Like Like x 1