Body or lens upgrade?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Dangermouse1968, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Dangermouse1968

Dangermouse1968 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2011
    So, imagine you have a GF1 and the P14, P20 and O45. You're a lucky boy/girl right!!!! You take mostly shots of the family and you try to be a bit of a landscape photographer (locally).

You feel like treating yourself for Christmas (you've been very good this year!!) so would you upgrade the GF1 to a GX1 (or G3 - not sure how I'd get on with this one, might need to .................... omg.................visit a shop to try it in my hands!)

Or would you buy the PL25 for £400 get the £50 back off Panny and sell the P20 so you're overall spend is £150-200?

Choice, choices!!!!!!
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Lenses are usually the best long term investment. Is the GF1 holding you back in any way eg slow focussing, low light/high ISO performance? It may be time for a new body but the PL25 is one heck of a lens.
  3. Dangermouse1968

May 26, 2011
    Thanks, I'm not sure it's holding me back or not but I've heard people say that the new generation of Mu4/3 including the GX1 have much improved sensors so would n't I get better pictures?
  4. 00r101

00r101 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2012
    There is a big difference in IQ between the GF1 and the GX1. BUt personally I would not buy another body without a View Finder. The EVF on the G3 makes it much better than the GX1 even if you add the GX1 EVF (which makes it pretty expensive). If you can, hold out for a G5 or a GH2 or GH3. All have superior image quality to your GF1, all have EVFs all have flip out/rotate LCDs. The only knock on the G3 is that its grip is a little small (go to a shop and try one out) but the G5 GH2 or GH3 you can buy without trying; they are that good.
  5. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    I think that it's time to go for a new body with 16mp sensor

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
  6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I see the P20 vs PL25 debate as too close to call, and money wasted swapping. (Now, if the PL25 was a pancake, or had IS it would be a different story!)

I went from GF1 to G3 and the improvement in low light performance is incredible - easily 2 stops. That said, I don't feel the emotional attachment to the G3 like I do the GF1
  7. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    You have some really great lenses and although my personal favorite of ALL m43 lenses is the PL25, I think you would be better served by upgrading to the newer generation 16mp sensor of the GX1. It'll give you noticeably cleaner higher ISO images and thus greater flexibility with shooting family/friends in indoor or lower light situations. The GX1 also has a much nicer screen, the optional detachable LVF2 is *HUGELY* better than the LVF1. It's also a faster focussing camera too and will improve the focus performance of all your lenses.

Go the GX1.
  8. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Having had both the PL25 and P20 as well as a GF2 and GX1 I think you'll get a bigger bang for the buck with the GX1 than swapping the P20 for the P25. The IQ between the PL25 and P20 is very close. The PL25 focuses faster but the P20 isn't so terrible and the GX1 is a really nice update to the GF1. It's faster, has more resolution, better video, lower noise better DR and overall is just a lot better camera.
  9. Dangermouse1968

May 26, 2011
    I used the Gf1 with my lovely 45 mm F1.8 quite a lot over Xmas and NY. I was disappointed by the number of shots that failed (blurred) when i was using the lens wide open. Therefore, as I have a very good set of lenses (P14, P20 and O45, ok, so my dream would be O12, P25, O45 and O75!!!) I think a new body with a new generation 16 mp sensor, better higher ISO and faster autofocus is the right way to go.

Until I got the 45 I only considered myself as an outdoor (landscape) photographer but this thing has made me love photographing people!! I think it is ideal - the 75mm might be better but is there enough room to use it indoors? Even my gf has noticed how muc hbette rthe pictures are from my little silver beauty compared to the 14-45 she is using (but now she keeps asking to borrow it!!!).

I went to Jessops, poor Jessops :-(, and handled a G3 and a G5 and tried the EVF. I liked the feel of the camera and the viewfinder. If the output from the G£ and GX1 are similar then it does not seem to make any sense to buy the GX1 for £289 and then have to find another £175 for the optional EVF when I can get it in all in the G3 for the same £289. Or am I missing something.

I did try a GX1 sometime ago and it felt very small in my hands.

G5 would be awesome but it's obviously a lot more (£469) and now I've started dreaming of an OMD!!!!!!!!
  10. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I personally think going from 20 to 25mm is a questionable upgrade. Not much faster or better IQ, most significantly the fast AF...while trading off a lot of size and a different focal length...says the guy content with the 20mm.

I think with your current setup the body is your current bottle neck. The 14 and 45 should be a lot faster to focus with a newer generation body and the sensor upgrade is nice if you shoot in anything other than bright sunlight.
  11. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Another vote for a new body. Take your pick, depending on what you can afford and whether you need/want a built-in EVF: G3, G5, GX1, GH2 or GH3. If video is not that important to you, you don't need the GH2 or GH3 (unless you get a great deal on a left-over GH2). Image quality from the G3, G5 and GX1 are very close. If you don't need/care about a built-in EVF, then go for the GX1. Between the G3 and G5, it's a matter of price and the larger grip on the G5.

I own the Panasonic 20mm but I have used the PanaLeica 25mm. Both are great lenses but there isn't that much difference in it. But I personally prefer the 40mm equivalent field of view offered by the 20mm. But that's just me.
  12. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    I was contemplating getting the p25 to replace my p20, but pulled the trigger on a G3 (to have as second body to my Gx1) and a sigma 19mm

why i did I go for the sigma when when I already have the p20 ?

Well my p20 is on permanant loan to my son, I will test the sigma 19 before I do a swop and get my p20 back but initial impressions are good, focuses quick and is well built

I paid £259 for G3 and 14-42 lens and £99 for Sigma lens, so £50 better off, even more when I sell the 14-42 lens
  13. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Alan... that sounds like a reasonable decision. I understand both the Sigma 19 and 30mm primes are sharp wide open at f/2.8. You can't beat them at the price. The G3 and the GX1 are a great pair. I had both but gave my G3 to a deserving niece. I replaced it with a G5 - but only because offered the body-only for $299 at Christmas.
  14. redalien

redalien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    I just got my G5 2 days ago, upgraded from a GF2 and it is a nice step up.

Now about the G3 ergonomics, not sure how big your hands are, I am an avarage 6ft guy, with not so large hands, and the G5 barely fits my grip. I could really use a half inch in height but its not too bad. Many reviews and websites complain about the grip on the G3 so I assume if I did try that grip I would not be happy since the G5 is supposed to be improved in that department and barely passes my frustration meter.

This is why I would not recommend the G3 and instead go for the GX1, which is similar in price, only downside is the LVF, but everything else should be close to a G5.

My GF2 feels OK in my hand, probably because of the square body, I was actually surprised by how close the G5 is in size to my GF2.

Sounds like you can also have a great deal on a PL25mm, that would be a great lens to have and the value on that will hold much better then any of the body's you are thinking about getting.
    I would get the lens now and wait for a great deal on a G5, or perhaps wait long enough for the next model, and then decide on the body. That's what I did, but then again, I didn't have a great lens line up like you do.