Body only purchases

threeOh

Mu-43 Regular
I’m yet again considering purchasing a GX9. I have a GX85 I thoroughly enjoy. It was my successful intro to m43. A second body makes sense simply because my GF is showing an interest in photography (and I’d like to see her to stay away from my GM1). So far I’ve resisted as I want only the body. Not the P12-60.

While this may come as a surprise to Panasonic USA, I’m not in the lens disposal business. I have no interest in buying kitted cameras only to turn around and sell off the included lens. Especially if the price I get for the lens puts the body at a premium to what I view as a comparable competitor. The Fuji X-E3 sells for $589. The GX9 including the P12-60 for $798. That’s a $210 premium offset by a lens I already disposed of once (eBay) for $160.

I’ve been looking, on and off, for a while. Always sold with the P12-60. Any way around this without going grey market? I have no issues with grey market but a USA purchase gets me a 3 year warranty. That’s not a bad deal.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
In the U.K there is a body only option. Looks like you are a dealer of lenses. Will the camera shop give you a fair price for the lens?

threeOh

Mu-43 Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Mike Wingate
A dealer only due to Panasonic's approach. So far, I’ve purchased 2 bodies, along with 3 lenses I didn’t want and subsequently sold. Just not a game I care to play.

amp

Mu-43 Veteran
Get one used.....here.....from me..if interested. Mine is not getting the use it deserves. Undoubtedly, it's a delightful camera. Good luck with the search.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran
When I bought my G85 3+ years ago, they did offer a body only version, but I spent the extra $100 to get the 12-60mm f/3.5-5.6 lens.

But 2 or so years ago, Panasonic USA decided that some bodies like the G85 must be sold with the 12-60mm f/3.5-5.6. The G95 similarly comes bundled with the lens. I tend to suspect that most people buying the G95 are upgrading from the G85, and they already have the lens.

The G9 is not sold with a lens (though there are packages bundling in the Panasonic-Leica 12-60/mm f/2.8-4). This tends to make the G95 and G9 similar in price. Unless you specifically needed the unlimited video support or had the G85 grip and batteries, it would seem to me that it drives most upgraders to the G9.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom