Body only not available?

rklepper

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Robert
I really wanted to buy the new G 95 camera but for some reason the only way to buy it is to get that 12-60 kit lens with it. I have absolutely no need for that kit lens but it seems like the only way to get the camera body. Anybody have any idea how a person can just buy the body without the lens? Even on the Panasonic side they don’t have just the body.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
I really wanted to buy the new G 95 camera but for some reason the only way to buy it is to get that 12-60 kit lens with it. I have absolutely no need for that kit lens but it seems like the only way to get the camera body. Anybody have any idea how a person can just buy the body without the lens? Even on the Panasonic side they don’t have just the body.
Yeah. It's asinine on Panasonic's part to not make it available in the U.S.

If you poke around it looks like the 12-60 is starting to be devalued on the used market because of it. People buy the kit and sell the lens. $175 for a good used copy isn't uncommon. If you have to spend $1200 and all you get back is $200, it's not worth it. At that point your only a couple hundred away from a G9 body.

I've considered a 95 as a backup or second, but have no need of the lens either.

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
Pretty absurd unless they never expect repeat business. I got a 12-60 with my G85 and a 12-32 with a GX85. Do they think I need second copies of these lenses with a GX9 or G95? Or did they think that nobody would ever upgrade their cameras?

You can buy brand new kit-split cameras/lenses on ebay but you will have questionable warranty.

Which actually brings up another point. They are forcing people who don't need these lenses to sell them on ebay. That drives down the market price of the lenses. The 12-60 is supposed to be $500 MSRP, but it usually sells for $200 street due to all the unwanted kit lenses being sold off. I can't imagine anyone ever paying $500 to Panasonic for one.

Wasabi Bob

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yeah. It's asinine on Panasonic's part to not make it available in the U.S.
I think you may not realize that what packages are offered are largely decided by the dealers, especially the larger ones. Dealers know their markets and they only want to stock what they know they can sell. Why wouldn't Panasonic want to sell more cameras? Dealer stock that sits on the shelf cost them up to 1.5%

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Why wouldn't Panasonic want to sell more cameras?

I think that one question contradicts the rest. Why indeed? It only takes a few seconds to verify my comments, which were supported by the subsequent post. The value of that lens is dropping through the floor. Those very same retailers you reference will be setting on them for a long time. The problem with your assertion is that you don't really know how many cameras may or may not sell as a body only, or why they're being marketed in the US as they are. I can tell you one thing for a fact, they aren't selling at least one of them because of it.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
I think you may not realize that what packages are offered are largely decided by the dealers, especially the larger ones. Dealers know their markets and they only want to stock what they know they can sell. Why wouldn't Panasonic want to sell more cameras? Dealer stock that sits on the shelf cost them up to 1.5%

seems likely - they are selling into the 1st time buyer market now

when saturated, they will offer body only to the smaller markets of 'add a body to my kit' and 'replace my gx85'

grcolts

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Gary
Does seem strange one cannot just buy a body...I am sure some sales are lost because of that...
GR

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Nobody is going to buy that lens at $500...
It is really only a $200 lens.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Interesting as in Australia we can buy just the body, but I would get the G9 when it is on special next instead

https://www.digidirect.com.au/panasonic-lumix-g95-body-black
That's what I did. I just don't see the camera in a first time buyer price point at $1200. There are plenty of good cameras for far less, and not just in M/43. Why spend $1200 for that when you're in the same ballpark as the G9 body? Especially since the lens can be had for less than half it's selling price.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
The Nikon 16-85 and Canon 15-85 are both $700 lenses.
Nikon did the same thing with the FX version of the 16-80, the 24-120 f/4. Neither are your typical kits lens, both retail for about $1,100 and sell for $550 - $700 depending on market trends. But in their case I think that's where the lenses should be.

The Pan 12-60? I think Panasonic hurt consumers by not offering body only kits. But it shouldn't be too surprising, they did the same thing with the 12-32. But are better than their current selling prices would indicate.

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
That's what I did. I just don't see the camera in a first time buyer price point at $1200. There are plenty of good cameras for far less, and not just in M/43. Why spend $1200 for that when you're in the same ballpark as the G9 body? Especially since the lens can be had for less than half it's selling price.
The main difference is the G9 has video recording limits. THe G95 doesn't so it depends on your primary usage.

CyVan

Mu-43 All-Pro
The GH5 is comparable with the G9, not the G95.
I'm not sure what you're saying here. Just to clarify I too wondered with the G95 price so high why would someone take it over a G9. But someone pointed out that the G95 doesn't have recording limits for video while the G9 does (30mins 4K 30, 10mins 4K60). So for long form video like an interview or event the G95 would be better to get if you can't afford a GH5.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
My point is that the GH5 (video-centric) and the G9 (photo-centric) are Panasonic's flagship cameras in M-43, and are directly comparable. The G95 is the next step down. This is evident by not only the features, but the price point.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
My point is that the GH5 (video-centric) and the G9 (photo-centric) are Panasonic's flagship cameras in M-43, and are directly comparable. The G95 is the next step down. This is evident by not only the features, but the price point.
Tim, you brought up the $$$ comparison with the G95 and G9. I think @CyVan was just pointing out a reason why someone might opt of the G95 instead of the G9 when the $$$ are so close.

Latest threads

Top Bottom