Body dilemma

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by recoverelapse, Dec 7, 2012.

1. recoverelapse

recoverelapse New to Mu-43

Dec 7, 2012
    Hello! I've been lurking in these forums for a while but I'm fairly new. Well not new to MFTs I've had the ep3 for over a year and I loved it until it got stolen a few months ago (along with my pany 25mm f1.4) :(

Now I just got an E-PL5 for about $650 to replace it a few weeks ago. But I just found out that I could get a refurbished OMD for about $175 more at Cameta. Is it worth getting the OMD over the E-PL5 for that much?

Oh and I do use the evf a lot but I still have the vf-2 from my old ep3.
  2. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    I wish you could have gotten $550 black friday deal. If I had vf2 already I would have gone with pl5 instead of om-d.

IBIS on omd is better, and I think weather sealed is overrated. Ask yourself when was the last time you missed a shot because of the weather? And you need to use 12-50 "darker than black hole" lens in those situations unless you want to invest a lot of money into 12-35.

I just think it makes much sense to go with pl5 if you already have vf2.
  3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I'd vote for getting the E-M5 and selling the VF2 personally. The E-M5 has a better LCD, better build, better controls (2 dials) and it will be more compact than the E-PL5, assuming you do use the EVF a lot.
  4. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    The thing that kills the E-PL5 and E-PM2 for me is the size of the rear screen. I know that it is technically 3" but a 4:3 ratio image is displayed at less than 2.5" diagonally.
  5. LudwigVB

LudwigVB Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2012
    Another vote for the OM-D. I just prefer the size and shape. Sell the E-PL5 and VF-2.
  6. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    If you are use to EP3 with the right controls etc. YOU wil lbe happy with the
    EM5. I was thinking of getting the EPL5. BUt went into store and had a play
    with the EM-5 and found it to be better with controls.

Best go to a store and have a play with the EM5.
  7. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
  8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Nearly everything, except the sensor and styling, is better on the OM-D. Somethings are significantly better and some are insignificantly better. Is the OM-D worth the additional expense, that depends on what you shoot and how much disposable income you have/make.
  9. recoverelapse

Dec 7, 2012
    There's not a lot of stores in my area where I could find an om-d to test out. Is it significantly bigger than ep3? I found that the ep3 was the perfect size for me.
  10. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    If you used your E-P3 mostly with the VF-2 attached, then the E-M5 would be a smaller camera overall. You can compare them here

Camera Size Comparison

I was thinking that at $175 difference there is no reason for you to get the E-PL5 over the E-M5, unless you get the E-PL5 and sell the VF-2 anyway. The value of a used VF-2 is around the $175 mark, so if you bought the E-M5 and sold the VF-2 you'e be in about the same position financially as if you bought the E-PL5 and kept the VF-2, and you'd still have a camera with an eye-level viewfinder plus a lot more besides.
  11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would keep your E-PL5 and VF-2 and save your money for a second body or another lens. I love the slim build of the Lites and Minis. They are SO easy to pack!
  12. recoverelapse

Dec 7, 2012
    Thanks for everyone's help! I went through with it and bought the OMD. I decided to just try it out. I'll just return it if it doesn't fit. Does anyone know the demand for the E-PL5 on ebay or similar marketplaces? There doesn't seem to be a lot of people selling or buying them. If I'm happy with the OMD I'll see if I can sell my E-PL5. I would like to return it but I cut out the UPC code from the box.