1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Body dilemma

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by recoverelapse, Dec 7, 2012.

1. recoverelapse

recoverelapse New to Mu-43

Dec 7, 2012
    Hello! I've been lurking in these forums for a while but I'm fairly new. Well not new to MFTs I've had the ep3 for over a year and I loved it until it got stolen a few months ago (along with my pany 25mm f1.4) :( 

Now I just got an E-PL5 for about $650 to replace it a few weeks ago. But I just found out that I could get a refurbished OMD for about $175 more at Cameta. Is it worth getting the OMD over the E-PL5 for that much?

Oh and I do use the evf a lot but I still have the vf-2 from my old ep3.

2. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    Thomas
    I wish you could have gotten $550 black friday deal. If I had vf2 already I would have gone with pl5 instead of om-d.

IBIS on omd is better, and I think weather sealed is overrated. Ask yourself when was the last time you missed a shot because of the weather? And you need to use 12-50 "darker than black hole" lens in those situations unless you want to invest a lot of money into 12-35.

I just think it makes much sense to go with pl5 if you already have vf2.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'd vote for getting the E-M5 and selling the VF2 personally. The E-M5 has a better LCD, better build, better controls (2 dials) and it will be more compact than the E-PL5, assuming you do use the EVF a lot.

4. The thing that kills the E-PL5 and E-PM2 for me is the size of the rear screen. I know that it is technically 3" but a 4:3 ratio image is displayed at less than 2.5" diagonally.

5. LudwigVB

LudwigVB Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2012
    Another vote for the OM-D. I just prefer the size and shape. Sell the E-PL5 and VF-2.

6. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    If you are use to EP3 with the right controls etc. YOU wil lbe happy with the
    EM5. I was thinking of getting the EPL5. BUt went into store and had a play
    with the EM-5 and found it to be better with controls.

Best go to a store and have a play with the EM5.

7. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    :thiagree:

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Nearly everything, except the sensor and styling, is better on the OM-D. Somethings are significantly better and some are insignificantly better. Is the OM-D worth the additional expense, that depends on what you shoot and how much disposable income you have/make.

9. recoverelapse

Dec 7, 2012
    There's not a lot of stores in my area where I could find an om-d to test out. Is it significantly bigger than ep3? I found that the ep3 was the perfect size for me.

10. If you used your E-P3 mostly with the VF-2 attached, then the E-M5 would be a smaller camera overall. You can compare them here

Camera Size Comparison

I was thinking that at $175 difference there is no reason for you to get the E-PL5 over the E-M5, unless you get the E-PL5 and sell the VF-2 anyway. The value of a used VF-2 is around the $175 mark, so if you bought the E-M5 and sold the VF-2 you'e be in about the same position financially as if you bought the E-PL5 and kept the VF-2, and you'd still have a camera with an eye-level viewfinder plus a lot more besides.

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would keep your E-PL5 and VF-2 and save your money for a second body or another lens. I love the slim build of the Lites and Minis. They are SO easy to pack!

12. recoverelapse

Dec 7, 2012
    Thanks for everyone's help! I went through with it and bought the OMD. I decided to just try it out. I'll just return it if it doesn't fit. Does anyone know the demand for the E-PL5 on ebay or similar marketplaces? There doesn't seem to be a lot of people selling or buying them. If I'm happy with the OMD I'll see if I can sell my E-PL5. I would like to return it but I cut out the UPC code from the box.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.