BMPCC raw footage

Discussion in 'Blackmagic Design Cameras' started by Artorius, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

Just putting a feeler out. I have had my BMPCC for a few weeks now and with the recent raw update its gotten even better! If anyone would like some raw DNG sequences to mess with I can post them in this thread. Is that something you guys would be interested in?

2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't necessarily want any footage but would like to see a hands-on review from a "real" person. So many of the online reviews are tainted to a degree. What you love, like, dislike and what you hate about it. One thing in particular that I have not heard a lot about is the audio ability and quality.

3. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

Fair enough. This week is quite busy for me and I know you're just asking for my thoughts, but give me about a week and I can post a good review.

• Like Like x 1
  4. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Yes, would be cool to hear your thoughts, esp since you also have a GH2. Thanks in advance.

5. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    I will be doing a review hopefully this weekend. I dont know if I qualify as a "real" person but my style is to use my camera like a normal person without dussins of accesories. Minimum gear at maximum quality for a low cost. Thats my moto.

Im coming from a Canon t3i to a GH3 to a E-M5 and now a BMPCC.

Here you can se my cheap tripod/shoulder rig/stabilisation/monopod thats under 140 dollars that fits even in a small camera bag.
    [video=youtube;VgvTFbbWL5w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgvTFbbWL5w[/video]

• Like Like x 3
  6. speedandstyle

Thanks for the video. I have used monopods and tripods as stabilizers before either as a weight balance or in the body brace style you showed. I never thought of using it like an ENG rig though{shoulder}. I also once fitted a monopod onto a tripod with a fluid head to make a small jib arm.

7. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

Sorry for the delay guys. Should have something for you tomorrow!

8. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    My review is delayed as well, it rained this weekend and its dark during the weeks. I might get it done anyway but probably saturday.

9. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

Well here is a preliminary review devoid of pictures and footage. I'm currently in the middle of final exams at school and working two jobs so please excuse my tardiness.

This review is going to consist of three parts: 1. the pros/cons of the BMPCC 2. the (well documented) pros/cons of the Panasonic GH2 and 3. comparison of the two. Please take into account that these are my own opinions, not facts. My opinions are based on my own experiences, expectations, and specific uses for the two cameras.

Now that thats out of the way, lets begin!

1. The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera
    Pros
    -10bit 422 Prores for $999.99!
    -Raw for $999.99!
    -m4/3 mount
    -Focus peaking
    -Size
    -Simplicity

Cons
    -Battery life
    -Fixed LCD
    -No EVF
    -Post-production workflow
    -Storage media (SD Cards)

In my short time with the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, I've come to really appreciate several things about it. I'll start with the image quality. It is much richer than the GH2 (the difference is noticeable!). This doesn't even mention the fact that the BMPCC records NATIVELY in Prores HQ 422. This is a high quality codec that is compatible with all NLE's straight out of camera. Furthermore, Blackmagic recently released an update for the Pocket which allows it to record Lossless compressed Cinema DNG Raw. This was a breakthrough in the Pocket's price bracket and the quality is unmatched when you compare Raw to the Panasonic GH2's H.264 codec. The latitude you can achieve with Raw is way past anything I've ever experienced video-wise. Its so much fun and very similar to editing raw photos. Another plus in my book is the active MFT mount. I can use all my existing lenses and a near infinite amount of adapted lenses.

One attribute of the Pocket camera that I was previously unfamiliar with was focus peaking. I'd heard about this feature on several monitors and other cameras but didn't experience it until I got my camera. I've come to work focus peaking into my normal shooting routine. This feature has helped me to nail focus on the Blackmagic's LCD; when combined with the focus assist magnify, I find I rarely if ever miss focus.

An aspect of the camera which surprised me was just how small it was. It honestly was about the size of an iPhone 4 with a solid handgrip. While I know this may bother some people I actually enjoy the camera's size. There are also some modestly priced cages that do a lot to remedy this, if considered a negative. A final plus of the camera for me is simplicity. I set the shutter angle to 180, and capture to RAW/Prores and just shoot. I honestly felt like I was messing with settings on the GH2 far too often, like color temperature, exposure compensation, etc. I like the simplicity of the BMPCC.

Now, onto the cons. Battery life is the biggest one for me. Even the OEM battery that came with the camera seems to drain far too quickly. The easy solution to this problem is to buy more batteries. (Chinese knockoffs are $6 a pop!) Buying cheap batteries is an easy solution- quantity over quality in this case. Furthermore, the camera can be plugged into any A/C outlet with the charging cord that comes with the camera. Other cons for me are that I miss the EVF and articulating LCD of the GH2. These two factors alone will account for the biggest changes to the way I shoot. I don't have an external monitor and it seems like I might need to buy one. The other complicated issue with this camera is post-production workflow. I find myself spending much more time on the edit with this camera. Not only do I have to cut, but I have to color grade each shot I use (a step I previously wasn't doing). Additionally, storage demands are much greater with Prores and Raw, I only have one external drive, and now it seems that I'll need much more than that. This leads into my last point- recording media is MUCH more expensive and discriminating. There is only one card approved for Raw capture currently, the 64GB 95mb/s Sandisk Extreme Pro SD Card which runs about $120 new.

That about sums up my thoughts on the BMPCC for now. I'll come back with a more in depth review later.

2. The Panasonic GH2
    Pros
    -EFV, Articulating LCD
    -m4/3 mount
    -Hybrid stills/video
    -Vitaliy Kiselev Hack
    -Battery Life
    -Multiple programmable buttons
    -Several video options (frame rates, Ex. Tele. Conv., etc.)

Cons
    -No focus peaking
    -SLR Ergonomics

I'll post my thoughts on the GH2 later this week!

• Like Like x 1
  10. speedandstyle

Great review so far. At work we have two of the AF100s and I love the focus peaking on them.

How does it handle audio? Most reviews don't say anything other than what is on the Blackmagic site. Blunty's review was the only one and he had some trouble with the audio.

I am going to be doing more video for my job this next year and want a top notch camera but I need it to handle audio fairly well. I won't be able to use the AF100s since much of it will be field work and the powers that be don't want them outside of the building{ $5k cameras you know}.

11. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

To be honest, I don't know. I recorded my girlfriend singing, but the audio wasn't very good at all. I also don't have the equipment to take full advantage of the internal recording. In the past I've used a Beachtek audio box to use external mics with my GH2 and I might do that again on a shoot the first week of January. I'll have a more definitive answer for you then! However, my main intention is to do two system recording with a Zoom H4n.

Updates are forthcoming!

12. speedandstyle

Thanks. I hope that the audio is good from this camera.

I have a nice Tascam DR100 but I would prefer to record with the video when possible.

13. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    Sorry the audio is like with DSLRs, imo not usable for anything but refrence to synk in post. I have managed to use it for some distant B-roll when there is alot of Music in the video.
    I have seen examples of kinda ok b-roll sound when they have used the Röde Videomic Pro with its +20db gain.

For dialog you of cource need to get the mic Close so on camera is out of the question (like on all cameras) but you cant feed an external mic to the camera either. The preamps are to low. The only way to get usable dialog in cam is to amp it with something like a Juiced Link.

In this video the sound is recorded through a juiced link into the BMPCC,

[video=youtube;HxsrlD5kBy0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxsrlD5kBy0[/video]

14. speedandstyle

Thanks!
    That is the impression I got from the Blunty review, way to low of a gain. Sad! But I get excellent audio in full 16 bit WAV from my Tascam, so I guess I will have to rely on it. It has dual XLR inputs plus built in mics{although I am not impressed with them except for background ambient sound}. I might be able to run from my DR100 to the BMPC since it is an amplified signal.

15. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    Yes, I use the Tascam dr-100mkii myself and its great. I also have the Zoom H1 as a lightweight option for the pocket cam.

I have tried to run the signal to the camera but with no luck so far. Line level is to low and Mic level to hot. But I read a post on bmcuser the ither day where a guy had some what usable aduio that way.
    BMD have said they are looking in to a firmware fix. But they say allot of things :)

16. speedandstyle

They did fix the black spot and bright glob issues so maybe they will get better audio. Of coarse without a true amp built in there is only so much a firmware fix can do.

17. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

Blackmagic seems to be very responsive with BMPCC firmware fixes so hopefully that's next. They just fixed an issue with 180 degree shutter+24fps. Also, for any Blackmagic enthusiasts, they just released the first footage from their 4k cam!

18. Huelight

Huelight Mu-43 Regular

Aug 15, 2011
    I would be interested in some raw DNG sequences to play with, I am working on some Lut's for video grading.

Thanks!

19. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

I'll get some sequences up soon. Also will finish my review soon. Just been busy with Christmas and applying for a new job!