Bluring issues while recording viceo with OMD and Pany 12-35

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ig7, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Can anyone please help explain why the focus goes in and out during video recording on OMD with Pany 12-35?
    Can be easily seen in this video if played full screen

Hungry squirrel - YouTube

2. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Seen it with other lenses. I blame it on focus trying to update during the video and one way to stop that is turning off AF durng video.

3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Using auto focus for video is a problem! I have used $10k pro video cameras and they can have trouble with hunting or focus shifting under certain situations.. This is the reason why professional video is shot manually using a follow focus gear.

For a video like the one you referenced where the camera is basicially still and the subject is at a fixed field use single AF mode. If you need to reset the focus simply press the shutter half way. If you have it set to continuous AF the camera will constantly be looking for focus. If your camera has a tracking AF that might work for a subject like the squirrel.

4. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Thank you. I will try SF

5. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    Hi Irina,

I had the same problem so did a bit of digging to improve my snapshot videos. Using S-AF will cure most focusing issues or at least give you control of the focus hunting.

You also may want to shoot in Aperture mode to keep it between f/9-11 to maximize your DOF. Note that the the 2x crop factor is an advantage over full-frame in this instance. I try to shoot in that range with auto-ISO. I get decent results that compare with what I used to get with a camcorder.

Also, if filming fast moving objects, it is better to keep your speed at 1/50-60. Shooting too fast a speed will create a choppy look. In bright outdoor, you may need to use an ND filter to keep it slow.

Last, if you are looking too isolate your subject against a blurry background, it is best to shoot in full manual mode to keep the large aperture and slow speed. Manual focus may help to minimize the hunting if your subject is moving a bit or you recompose your shot. But that takes a lot of practice to get it right. I still can't do it quite right...

6. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Thank you Everyone. It's good to know it' the camera's fault for a change :rofl: and not mine. I will try the suggestions mentioned here to try and improve on the focusing. There is always my iPhone when all else fails