Blur issues with Panasonic X 45-175mm

addieleman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ad
A lot has been said already about unsharp images with the Panny 45-175mm and shutter speeds in a certain range, roughly between 1/100 and 1/250s. Lately I had some unsharp pictures again with this lens and the GH2 mounted on a tripod (Gitzo 1580QR). Unsettled by this I set out to do test shots on this tripod with OIS switched off. Representative sample below: the shot at 1/250s is notably unsharper than the one at 1/1000s. For the record, I don't have these issues with a Minolta MD Zoom 75-150mm which I use a lot, or any other legacy lens in this focal length range. Edit: no differences in sharpness with this lens on the G1 as well.

I'm speculating that the moving elements or group picks up vibration from the camera's shutter vibration, causing the element to move a bit despite OIS being switched off. This would explain the different results for it on other cameras. Even the shot at 1/500s was slightly less sharp than the 1/1000s shot.

This lens obviously doesn't get along very well with the GH2.

Comparo-45-175-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

noohoggin1

Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio
Real Name
Tom
this worries me as I've got this lens arriving tomorrow. I've got an E-PM1, so I'm curious as to how it will perform on it compared to the Panasonic bodies. Supposedly it's alright on the EM-5 bodies.

D@ne

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think part of the issue with this lens (and I'm making assumptions here...correct me if I'm wrong) is that there is always stabilization when using an Oly body, regardless of settings.

If the camera's ibis is on, obviously stabilization is occurring. When you switch it off though, I hear/see the lens' stabilizer turn on in its place. If the lens had a switch, as various other Panny lenses do, this could be prevented.

addieleman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ad
I think part of the issue with this lens (and I'm making assumptions here...correct me if I'm wrong) is that there is always stabilization when using an Oly body, regardless of settings.

If the camera's ibis is on, obviously stabilization is occurring. When you switch it off though, I hear/see the lens' stabilizer turn on in its place. If the lens had a switch, as various other Panny lenses do, this could be prevented.
On a GH2 you hear something locking into place when powering on the camera even if stabilization was set to off. The moving element/group is actively kept at a default position even when IS is off (confirmed by Panasonic IIRC). If the camera is off and you move it around you hear something in the lens moving; when powered on you don't hear that sound.

D@ne

Mu-43 Top Veteran
On a GH2 you hear something locking into place when powering on the camera even if stabilization was set to off. The moving element/group is actively kept at a default position even when IS is off (confirmed by Panasonic IIRC). If the camera is off and you move it around you hear something in the lens moving; when powered on you don't hear that sound.

But when I switch off the body's ibis, the power is on and the elements should already be actively secured, no?

noohoggin1

Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio
Real Name
Tom
just thought I'd chip in with my experience with my newly-received 45-175mm X lens from this morning:

In short, it's a lemon. I had pretty severe double-image problems in the 1/100-1/250 shutter speed range. Funny, I had had sharper photos (relatively speaking, still a bit blurry) under 1/100 second. This disappoints me as I was hoping that it wouldn't affect the Oly bodies as much (I have the E-PM1). I took a multitude of photos outdoors with IBIS both on and off--it didn't seem to make much of a difference with edge-doubling. And yes, I can tell the difference between edge-doubling and motion blur.

I'm so frustrated, it's not even worth it to upload examples. I REALLY wanted to love this lens because it's so compact with internal zoom. Right now, it's already reboxed up and ready to ship back to Samy's Camera on Monday. Not sure if I want a refund, or exchange for store credit, or get another zoom. I'd really love to get another tele-zoom, but I just have to research what's currently the sharpest one that works.

Report over.
EDIT: I also updated the firmware on the lens; made no difference correcting the problem.

M

michaeln

The first GX1 I bought several months ago had the pancake X 14-42 lens, it had this same problem really badly. I took it back to the store for a refund the next day.

Since then I bought another GX1 and the 7-14, 14-45 and 45-200 lenses, and none of them have that problem. It seems to be only with the X-series.

addieleman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ad
Looks like the X 45-175mm gives problems on various camera models, from both Olympus and Panasonic. Personally I'd be interested to know if there's any experience to be reported with this lens on the E-M5, specifically on unsharpness in certain shutter speed ranges. I'm leaning towards buying back a Panny 45-200mm, I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the X 45-175mm and gamble on Panasonic coming up with proper performance on the GH3 (if the rumors about the GH3 materialize into a camera).

addieleman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ad
I decided to send the lens in for repair now that the warranty period was about to expire. Sent it in Sept. 6 and did an enquiry about the status of the repair at Oct. 1; Oct. 2 I got the message that my lens was shipped back to me and I received it today (Oct. 3). According to the repair report they cleaned the 3rd lens element, reattached the contact plate and cleaned the contacts, and compared it to equivalent lenses. The rest of the text was truncated on the report.

Tested it immediately and the problem is as bad as before.

Art

Mu-43 All-Pro
How about enabling Oly anti-shock function? I have mo problem with my copy on E-PM1 (with or w/o anti-schock)

Latest threads

Top Bottom