1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Blur/Bokeh is overrated?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by tkbslc, Oct 26, 2018.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

Interesting informal study and video over at PetaPixel:

Bokeh is Overrated: Blurry Isn't Best

Two things stood out to me:

"The average person cannot really tell a difference between photos taken at a difference of one or two aperture stops, even when they are specifically looking for differences."

"People might prefer a little bit more definition that an f2.8 or an f4 aperture might provide over a lens being shot wide open (at least at distances I tested)."

• Like Like x 1
  2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    TL;DR: Non-photographers care more about the context and subject of the photo than they do the technicalities of the image and equipment used.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Christop82

Christop82 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    So it's more important to have the subject in focus than the background out of focus? Wow... Now I have to rethink my whole life.

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. tkbslc

tkbslc Super Moderator

Hey, it seems obvious, but how often do we have equivalent DOF and prime vs zoom battles?

• Like Like x 1
  5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Surely true. Sharpness, which photographers obsess over, hardly matters, as long as the subject is not actually blurry.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 16, 2017
    Huh - what would Haskell Wexler say??

7. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I didn't watch the video, just read the article, but to be fair he seemed to imply the WHOLE subject (front to back) should be in focus as opposed to using a DoF so thin that only one of your model's eye is in focus but not the other nor the tip of the nose or the ears which is what you often get from those who think if their lens can do 0.95 then, dag nabbit, they are going to do 0.95 regardless of how the photo turns out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    You're not a pro unless 90% of your photo is blurry!

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Like Like x 1
  9. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I started out better than a pro!!! 100% of my shots were blurry!!

• Funny Funny x 18
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I believe that makes you avant garde then.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. The Grumpy Snapper

The Grumpy Snapper Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 9, 2017
    And every editor I've worked for/with.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 23, 2010
    As a photographer who prefers a nice large depth of field I enjoyed the video, the one thing missed on my period of using a FF was losing a load of apparent in focus zone at apertures like f2.8 for a similar angle of view. I shot for a while with a pair of higher end P&S due to their wonderful DOF. I will say in some of the pictures though especially one of the dog ones I could see in the dog that the 1.2 blurred out a fair bit of the body to the average person that I would guess be less desirable so Im not sure how perfect the test was.

13. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    To me when it's all said and done it is only the end result that counts. It can be appreciated the technical difficulties and skill required to take the image, but the final result will how it is seen / judged in the public eye. Well to me anyway. :) 

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. archaeopteryx

archaeopteryx Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 25, 2017
    This is in good agreement with my personal experience. I've generally used f/5.6 (m43), f/8 (APS-C), and f/11 (full frame). Never had a client ask for less DoF. Did have one reject an entire batch of f/4 APS-C portraiture for not having enough DoF. (Would have used a smaller aperture but I was forced to f/4 by light limitations---there's kind of a story there---and that was before focus bracketing was a thing.)

It's beyond the scope of Andrew's tests but the customers I have who care about DoF don't really want anything that's not focus stacked. f/16 or f/22 might occasionally be OK but mostly they're looking for the equivalent of f/64 and up.

From a behind the camera standpoint I've had glass to f/1.4 and enjoyed using it there at times, though for the resulting portraits I'd prefer if f/2.8 or slower had been possible. Computational photography for background blur and removing subject motion has obvious uses here but, other than blur on phones, the tools are really there yet.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  15. ralf-11

Jan 16, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. ralf-11

Jan 16, 2017
  17. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Nov 7, 2010
    I find it a bit odd when people say they like to shoot with more or less DOF. Seems like just a tool to me. Busy background? Blur it. Interesting background? More DOF. I remember getting my first fast lens and thinking (for about two weeks) that you had to use it wide open and obliterate the background. Then you realize that is just an option.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Seems to be an obsession to want "the only one right answer".

More crucial issue is, IMO, the question. In other words, what are you trying to achieve with the image you are making?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I think photographers do too. To the extent that the content and the subject of the photo count more than the technicalities.

20. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    What I was attempting to convey was that you average, non-photographer individual likely won't care if you shot it at f/1.4 or f/2.8. They won't care whether or not the lens is sharp right in to the corners. What they care about is a nice image that tells a story.

But at the end of the day, we are most critical of ourselves, which is why we justify that we need that f/1.4 prime lens, or that lens that is sharp across the frame at f/8, or that camera that has the most dynamic range. All of that matters to a point, but your typical client would never notice the difference.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.