Blue bridge time-lapse capturing a proposal

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by KBeezie, Oct 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    So I was out doing a timelapse (one of a few last night), figured the blue bridge would be a decently lit and high traffic area to capture at night during art prize #8.

It would seem that I caught a proposal early on, but they walked in the opposite direction while I was still recording the timelapse so I didn't get a chance to ask who they were. Hopefully someone in Grand Rapids recognizes them. Was shot from 10PM to 10:30PM on the night of October 7th 2016.

For the photo curious : 2 second intervals, ISO 800, 1/8th shutter, f/2.0, on an old Pentax-M 50mm f/1.4 lens adapted to my Olympus E-M5.

Originally was just going to be a straight 24 or 60 fps output. But having noticed the proposal I decided to ramp it down in resolve during that sequence with nearest neighbor blending instead of frame blend like in the faster portions of the video (optical flow blending just gets freaky since there's too much a gap between movements at 2 second intervals to be effective at 24fps or slower)

Also have a 4k version at vimeo which tends to be clearer than youtube but not visible globally.

• Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Wow Wow x 2
  2. longviewer

longviewer Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2015
    SW Washington (Longview area)
    Jim R
    The video turned out great - and slowing down for the proposal works well. It's too bad the happy couple don't know of it!
    That is quite the colorful bridge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BosseBe

BosseBe Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Great!
    I guess the bottom one is vimeo, is there any way to view that in full screen? (I'm not used to vimeo).
    Oh, on trying again I found out that right clicking in the video frame brought up settings, so now I've been able to see it highest quality and full screen. Vimeo version is better!

/Bosse

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  4. Tenpenny

Tenpenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    Nampa, Idaho
    Brent Watkins
    Fantastic time lapse. Wishing you good luck locating the couple.

5. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    Made my day. Cheers. How lovely was that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    The couple has been identified. One of my college classmates shared it, and the sister of the man identified them, said they loved finding the video capturing that special moment.

The newly engaged couples are Alex Saxton and Hannah Van Rees.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Bakker

Bakker New to Mu-43

Aug 10, 2012
    Cannonsburg, MI, USA
    Steve
    Nice story on WOODTV8, Grand Rapids featuring Karl and the bride-to-be. Karl, you actually do look like your avatar...

8. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Yea I was hoping the web quality would be better as I'm stuck here at GRCC right now.

Recorded it off the monitor at school.

Edit: The online story :

Time-lapse video captures engagement on Blue Bridge

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  9. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Seems they only had it cycling rainbow during Art Prize this year. If I recall from last year they installed the lights to do something similar but more in a random fading pattern.

Checking on the bridge earlier tonight they reverted back to just the solid blue. The bridge itself is painted a bright blue, but wasn't until last year that they changed out the lights to bright LEDs to keep it lit and vibrant at night.

10. longviewer

longviewer Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2015
    SW Washington (Longview area)
    Jim R
  11. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    The photography is great, and the story is greater. Well done

• Agree Agree x 2